Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage Flooring

Afternoon all,

Have any of you ever tiled your garage floor?
    I'm looking at various options from Mototile to Ecotile etc - all seem much of a muchness tbh.

Basically I've got a double garage with a flat, but rough concrete floor, and bare brick walls.
    The plan is to paint the walls something delightful, get a floor down and generally make it a bit more habitable for extended wife-free time.
    S54 Seca Blue - ACS Short shift and Exhaust. Luverly.

My son-in-law has used the Halfords Rolson garage floor tiles in his garage. He works offshore so his car (recently acquired Porsche Cayman) sits in garage for 2 weeks at a time. It has to go in the same spot so as a result the tiles being foam they do deform and spread a little. To counter this he's laid a few replacement tiles and stuck them down with some adhesive, which seems to work at the moment.
    Not sure how the quality of the Rolson tiles compare to the Mototile or Ecotile, maybe someone else can comment.
    I haven't been tempted to use tiles myself, I have used a garage floor paint. I did it 25 years ago and it really needs redoing (job for this coming year!!). My coupe and my wife's Golf 2.0litre GT are always garaged and so the areas that tyres run on are a devoid of paint. What's left does keep the dust down though.
    I did however paint the walls white which does help to lighten the place up.

One thing you could do is re-screed the rough concrete floor, then paint. Have we got some civil/construct fellas on here who could give some advice?
    Pete C

2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 805 of 821 RHD built

Previous BMWs

2003 E46 M3 6 speed manual - Carbon Black/Black interior.
    2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 692 of 821 RHD built
    1986 M635
    1985 E28 M5
    1983 E28 528i Alpina

Comment

I tiled mine in France , went to the local suppliers and bought some cheap non slip ceramic , powder type flexible adhesive and laid them on a 10mm notched bed . They took the weight of a car fine , just need to use a piece of ply under a jack or similar.
      Use floor levelling compound to achieve a flat smooth surface if the existing one isn't great . If your pushing the boat out get some electric blanket under floor heating down before you tile it for a bit of luxury , it's what I'm going to do when I build the garage at my new house . Although I'm doing it mainly to allow the next person the option of converting the garage into livable space .

Comment

I've just built a new garage, and gone with a float-finish polished concrete floor, with three coats of gloss clear resin coat. Looks really nice, and seems (so far) to be pretty durable - all cars have sat in the same place for 3 months while the building work and driveway has been completed, with no damage or lifting of the surface. I couldn't have done this with any of the floor paints I've used before, which all lifted with the tyres if a car sat for more than a couple of weeks. Please excuse tyre marks - MC was the last car in, and I didn't sweep up before the photo!
        Attached Files

Comment

Seen this flooring at Costco,

https://www.costco.co.uk/view/p/g-fl...otector-112281

No idea if its anygood?

Comment

My concern with the tile type of covering is how it stands up to usage. I'm sure it's fine if you're literally just parking cars on it, but I don't know how it would stand up to a jack or, say, an engine hoist used in anger. Also if you have an accidental spillage or severe leak (I also have a Series 2 Land Rover, enough said) I presume liquids will find their way through tile gaps and fester beneath the covering. Horses for courses, I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by rsk289 View Post
              I've just built a new garage, and gone with a float-finish polished concrete floor, with three coats of gloss clear resin coat. Looks really nice, and seems (so far) to be pretty durable - all cars have sat in the same place for 3 months while the building work and driveway has been completed, with no damage or lifting of the surface. I couldn't have done this with any of the floor paints I've used before, which all lifted with the tyres if a car sat for more than a couple of weeks. Please excuse tyre marks - MC was the last car in, and I didn't sweep up before the photo!
              Beautiful.

Comment

My concern with the tile type of covering is how it stands up to usage. I'm sure it's fine if you're literally just parking cars on it, but I don't know how it would stand up to a jack or, say, an engine hoist used in anger. Also if you have an accidental spillage or severe leak (I also have a Series 2 Land Rover, enough said) I presume liquids will find their way through tile gaps and fester beneath the covering. Horses for courses, I suppose.
                I think those concerns might be valid with some of the cheaper stuff, but the ones I'm looking at are rated for garages etc and jacking is no issue. As they are easy to take up(no adhesive) if some were to get damaged it's easy to replace them.

I think I'll pull the trigger shortly and get some before and after pics up.

Better get started with painting the walls then...
                S54 Seca Blue - ACS Short shift and Exhaust. Luverly.

Comment

That's lovely. Hope to have a set up like this at some point in the future (with a set of ramps, of course!)

Build thread: https://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19347

Comment

Originally posted by mnbrennan View Post
                    That's lovely. Hope to have a set up like this at some point in the future (with a set of ramps, of course!)
                    Aha - the photo's just the 'showroom' end. There's a second room right next to the MC which is the workshop, with all the welding gear, lifting gear, a full length pit and a compressor plumbed into an air ringmain. That's got a polished and sealed concrete floor too, just like the one in the photo - but my chances of keeping it just as clean are probably minimal. The workshop has a SIIA Landie in it which 'marks its territory' very well, and I'll be dropping the gearbox and transfer case out of it soon which will no doubt leave its mark on the floor.

Comment

Working...
                    X