X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another uneven idle....

Hi Guys,

Was wondering if anyone experienced the same or can offer advice on this:

I never rev my car over 3000 rpm before my oil temperature reaches +/-90 or higher.

Problem is that when the car is cold I don't get an uneven idle, but as soon as it reaches over 90, i sometimes get an uneven idle. From time to time it drops below 500 rpm and on two occassions the car has actualy died on me because of this. It starts up fine again and then feels very dead up to bout 2000rpm and then starts pulling properly.

Please help....
    M Coupe, 2000 ,Cosmos Black S50 - Stock standard

Originally posted by Meiring View Post
    Hi Guys,

Was wondering if anyone experienced the same or can offer advice on this:

I never rev my car over 3000 rpm before my oil temperature reaches +/-90 or higher.

Problem is that when the car is cold I don't get an uneven idle, but as soon as it reaches over 90, i sometimes get an uneven idle. From time to time it drops below 500 rpm and on two occassions the car has actualy died on me because of this. It starts up fine again and then feels very dead up to bout 2000rpm and then starts pulling properly.

Please help....
    Could be many things. Best idea would be to get it plugged in to read for fault codes. Could be maf related / coil packs / sticky ICV / air leaks / CPS.

Good luck!
    Last edited by h4pry; 10-06-2008, 08:40 AM.
    Out: 99 S50 Titan Silver V876 KKO
    In: 98 S50 Estoril.......

Comment

Thanks mate.....hope its not something serious...had the car serviced quite recently at the dealers.....

Comment

Thanks mate.....hope its not something serious...had the car serviced quite recently at the dealers.....

If you are reasonably handy you could buy one of these and download carsoft.

Comment

Thanks for the advise and link provided.

from time to time I also get a "diesel like" idle, do you think this might relate to my problem with the uneven idle? ........Maybe vanos problems?

Comment

Thanks for the advise and link provided.

from time to time I also get a "diesel like" idle, do you think this might relate to my problem with the uneven idle? ........Maybe vanos problems?
            My money is on a dodgy coil pack ir CPS however you really need to get proper diagnostics done:

Regarding the vanos system my understanding is....

Sudden failure = sheared bolts & large pool of oil on floor very quickly.

Worn gears = increasingly noisy.

Gradual failure = solenoid inoperative.

Comment

When this poor idle starts is it after the car has been restarted when hot?

Comment

Originally posted by h4pry View Post
                If you are reasonably handy you could buy one of these and download carsoft.
                That looks an interesting bit of kit for a good price. Why can you not use a USB adaptor? I've used one for my rx-7 datalogit and most laptops these days don't come with the old style connection.

Ta,

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
                  When this poor idle starts is it after the car has been restarted when hot?
                  The poor idling starts when the car oil temp reaches about 90 degrees, even when restarted and the temp is still hot....

Comment

My money is on coil packs. Any car I've had with coil pack problems has always been once it's warm. They start to break down at higher temperatures.
                    Go to your local indy who can read your fault codes for free (or small donation) and if this is your diagnosis then I would suggest replacing the lot at the same time. German, Swedish and French can supply them and it's about an hours work on an evening to change them over.

Comment

Originally posted by speed8 View Post
                      My money is on coil packs. Any car I've had with coil pack problems has always been once it's warm. They start to break down at higher temperatures.
                      Go to your local indy who can read your fault codes for free (or small donation) and if this is your diagnosis then I would suggest replacing the lot at the same time. German, Swedish and French can supply them and it's about an hours work on an evening to change them over.
                      Thanks Speed8, will check out the coil packs and report back..

Cheers M

Comment

I know this is very old thread, but I have similar problems. My problem is on all the time, that if the car is hot or cold does not matter. So did you or anybody else find answer for this?
                        Last edited by Speedou; 29-03-2011, 07:21 PM.
                        S50 - '99 Imola Red/Red-Black
                        Mods - KW V3, Powerflex Bushes, Wiechers Strut Brace, H&R ARBs, FOX exhaust, KT4 New Racer 18" wheels, Pagid racing brake pads (yellow), Motul rfb600 racing fuids, untill now ;)

Comment

I had a similar problem: the s50b32 ran fine until the oil went over 55-60 degrees, after that the engine clearly struggled to keep running, with the rmp jerking between 500 and 1000. Also when driving it stuttered, especially on low throttle but also slightly when revving it. Searched forums like this one and got a zillion possible causes proposed. Ended up replacing the spark plugs, fuel filter, MAF....no luck there.... then bought a diagnostic tool (recommend it...well worth the money), it showed up the throttle position sensor as malfunctioning. Replaced it today (5 minute job) and it now runs perfectly.

Comment

welcome to the forum

Comment

Working...
                            X