Big End!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big End!

So the stealer has just rung me to ask for the go ahead to remove the sump which is a 3 and half hour job :shock: as they are not yet convinced of what the problem is yet. I asked him for a quick guess and he thinks that the Big End has gone and that it's probably a new engine job. I'm really not mechanically minded enough which doesn't help ops:

I've had to keep it at the stealer because i'm anticipating having to ask for any kind of good will following dropping the warranty less than a month ago (16th Nov.) I don't want to start moving it around to an indy.

Does anyone know how late you can leave it until you renew the warranty? I'm sure that I missed the date by a week a couple of years ago and they still took me on. If I can still get the warranty before the month is up that might be my best bet.

Any ideas on the cost of a new engine + labour?

I'm generally feeling quite sick about this Christmas, moving house around June and getting married in October (it never rains it poors!)

My car is my pride and joy and the thought of having to let it go is killing me :cry:

HELP :(
    98S Estoril

a new engine would be £10k ish, but that is the easiest thing for a dealer to do!
    straight swap instead of a re build, if it is the case you could proably find someone to rebuild the engine for £2-3k tops!

so get them to do all the leg work, maybe racing tech could rebuild it? could work out well new cams etc. performace beast!

Comment

has to be goodwill
      Ex 'V3RY M - MCoupe track monster'
      New toys

Porsche widebody project

Cayenne Diesel

Comment

It could turn out well you're right I'll just have to wait until the stealer gets back to me tomorrow when I can spit a few dummies down the phone!
        98S Estoril

Comment

There's good will and then there's BMW good will. Fingers crossed. It's just all a bit of a ball ache and i'm sick of shelling out the sterling
          98S Estoril

Comment

Just make sure you get a written report on what they find, and what they think might have caused it, don't show your hand to them too soon, with talk of warranty etc. as this might influence their findings, if you see what I mean.

By the way, what sort of mileage has it done, and when was the last sevice.

Steve.
            2002 phoenix yellow. "V3RY M" lives on, but on another beast.

Comment

Good advice, thanks. Mileage is 61K and it had an inspection II no more than a month and a half ago.
              98S Estoril

Comment

Originally posted by flyingsaucer
                Good advice, thanks. Mileage is 61K and it had an inspection II no more than a month and a half ago.
                that will definatly work for you if you have to challenge it!

Comment

:-(

I'm so sorry for your loss flyingsaucer.
                  How many miles since the service?

There has been to many s50b32 with big end failures lately. Scary stuff! Many m coupes from germany has replacement engines too..
                  S50 - '99 Estoril/Estoril-Black
                  Mods - KW 3 Coilovers, H&R ARBs, Raid steering wheel, Wiechers Sport half-rollcage & strut brace, Simota CAI, Powerflex front and beam bushes, Beyern Mesh 18".

Comment

I can't have done any more than 1K. Work has been manic recently and I haven't been able to strech it's legs much.
                    98S Estoril

Comment

If goodwill does not materialise, try thorney motorsport!

Rags

Comment

Guys how many times have you heard of a Big End re-build on an M Coupe? Is it a case of sods law or is this something that happens quite often? Re: MrMicko's comment.

My S50 is a V plate with 79k on the clock. The only thing I can noticeably hear is the engine tappets but i'm guessing that this is something to do with how old/how many miles the engine has done.

Comment

BMW have overfilled these babies with oil in the past and it has caused problems.
                          Ex 'V3RY M - MCoupe track monster'
                          New toys

Porsche widebody project

Cayenne Diesel

Comment

The swines!

What do we think about independant warranties though companies such as warrantydirect. Has anyone used companies like these in the past?

Comment

Yep Warranty direct do actually pay out.

I have a warranty with them about £300 a year

Comment

Working...
                              X