PDA

View Full Version : Roof rack/Box

SilentBob
09-02-2007, 03:47 PM
Hi all,

I am doing a trip up to the scotland highlands and need some extra luggage space, has anyone ever fitted a roof rack or roof box to thier car?

Any suggestions of where to get one or reccommendations if you have fitted one before?

Cheers
Bob

Rags
09-02-2007, 03:54 PM
May be best to stick a wanted add to the title!

dalecan
09-02-2007, 05:42 PM
It just so happens that I was thinking about selling my roof rack and holders for two bikes. I haven't thought about a price yet, I need to dig out the old sales invoice to see how much they cost (about a year old I think). PM me if you're interested.

speed8
11-02-2007, 05:35 PM
Yep, fitted to the Zed for the trip to the Alps. Bleedin useful although rubbish for anything remotely economical. I was filling up every 170 miles. Got mine from BMW at 202quid a set iirc.

airasslteng had some for sale too but he didn't get back to me when I made him an offer so I don't know if they are still available.

http://www.z3mcoupe.com/photopost/data//500/1741rack1.JPG

M300CJB
11-02-2007, 06:39 PM
Frequently lug my bike about the south of england on mine.....bought off airasslteng. Efficiency does plummet.

Speed8, have you got the front rail on the correct way round? They are orientation specific. A mistake that I made. When on the tops sit parallel to the ground,not angled to it. Check the little stickers on the inside of the legs.

speed8
11-02-2007, 09:15 PM
Frequently lug my bike about the south of england on mine.....bought off airasslteng. Efficiency does plummet.

Speed8, have you got the front rail on the correct way round? They are orientation specific. A mistake that I made. When on the tops sit parallel to the ground,not angled to it. Check the little stickers on the inside of the legs.

Very possibly, I was in a bit of a rush that morning. The front is definately on the front but may be back to front if you know what I mean :-?

So I guess Paddy doesn't have his for sale anymore.... I got his car and you got his roof bars....

M300CJB
12-02-2007, 02:50 PM
No Paddy's bars are no longer for sale. He said that his car had been just like mine when I picked them up, though I think that he had done a few mods to his (yours), Black and Kyalami.

Silent Bob I think that only BMW do a bar that fits. I looked high and low for an aftermarket version, with no success.

speed8
13-02-2007, 02:30 AM
No Paddy's bars are no longer for sale. He said that his car had been just like mine when I picked them up, though I think that he had done a few mods to his (yours), Black and Kyalami.

Silent Bob I think that only BMW do a bar that fits. I looked high and low for an aftermarket version, with no success.

Yeah, he had done one or two mods and it does handle pretty well. Can't complain really. Already done 3000 miles since I got it a couple of months back.

I'd be surprised if anyone other than BMW sell them, it's a fairly limited market.