Eratic outside temp and oil temp gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eratic outside temp and oil temp gauge

I have an outside temp gauge that fluctuates around 0 degrees while the oil temp gauge occasionally turns full clockwise then falls back to a near normal reading. I can't find evidence of a voltage regulator that is common to both gauges maybe there isn't. They both went wonky at the same time so I think it's related. Any ideas anybody?

Welcome to the forum

Comment

Originally posted by bignorry View Post
      I have an outside temp gauge that fluctuates around 0 degrees while the oil temp gauge occasionally turns full clockwise then falls back to a near normal reading. I can't find evidence of a voltage regulator that is common to both gauges maybe there isn't. They both went wonky at the same time so I think it's related. Any ideas anybody?
      Outside air temp could be corroding contacts on the temp sensor. Sorted mine by cleaning the plug & socket up. Located behind the driver’s side rear wing - remove the arch liner to get to it
      1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Not sure if you have an S50 or S54 but on the S50 there is a large multiplug which attaches to the main loom and connects to the gauges - it may be worth checking to see if this is seated properly along with the wires on the back of the gauges?

Comment

The gauge moves even when the ignition is on and the engine not running. It is unaffected by me banging on the wheelarch where the sensor is so I'm thinking that it might not be a sensor issue. I'll have a look at it though. Thanks

Comment

Thanks for your help lads. It was a bad connection at the outside temp sensor. I tried hitting the wing a bit harder and the gauge did flicker. I just needed to emery the spade connections so a nice cheap fix! The oil temp gauge seems better now too which I can't understand. Sticky window mech next....

Comment

Originally posted by bignorry View Post
              Thanks for your help lads. It was a bad connection at the outside temp sensor. I tried hitting the wing a bit harder and the gauge did flicker. I just needed to emery the spade connections so a nice cheap fix! The oil temp gauge seems better now too which I can't understand. Sticky window mech next....
              Nice one Here’s a ‘how to’ for the windows - put this together when I had my roadster but it’s the same for the coupe.
              https://www.zroadster.net/forum/view...p?f=18&t=11888
              1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

That's sorted too now. Not as difficult as I thought it would be. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                X