Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TRACKER problem

Hi
    I'm talking about the firm called Tracker, selling tracker devices for many years.

When I bought my Z3MC in 2005, it was already fitted with a Tracker, so took over the cover and paid for lifetime cover (£325), for the duration of my ownership. 13 years on, I thought it might be worth checking with them as to whether it was still operational.

In an online chat, I was offered the opportunity to have someone come to me to check that it was still working and to change the battery. I then spoke to their tech team who started off by telling me that I would have to pay for the service call. It got worse - the unit in my car is obsolete and has been for ten years! If I want to continue with the facility, I'll have to buy a new unit (£300-odd, but "as you are a 'member' this will reduce to £100-odd") When I complained, I was told that '"it's in the terms and conditions..." I renewed it by email and didn't see any terms and conditions. At that point, I rang off.

Anyone else had issues with them? Anyone else got a Tracker and not realised this?

I had a Tracker device fitted on my first Z3 M Coupe around 2005 and signed up for the same deal as you did, I passed on details to the buyer when I sold it. I never heard anything more as to whether the new buyer continued with the subscription.

As regards "Terms & Conditions", it is questionable that back in 2005 they would be able to state that in future (10 years) the fitted unit would be obsolete and the car owner would have a replacement Tracker unit fitted at their cost. To my mind if I had paid for a lifetime cover whilst I owned the car then I should have all costs covered. I cannot remember anything like that, but I could be wrong.

From what Tracker has said does that mean if your car had been stolen they wouldn't have been able to trace it as the unit was obsolete and not working?

Has anyone on here got relevant hard copies of paperwork for Tracker installation to see what the "Terms & Conditions" from that era had to say.

If you can get a bit more ammunition and paperwork together I'd be tempted to have a go at them again. If no result dump them and go else where.
    Pete C

2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 805 of 821 RHD built

Previous BMWs

2003 E46 M3 6 speed manual - Carbon Black/Black interior.
    2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 692 of 821 RHD built
    1986 M635
    1985 E28 M5
    1983 E28 528i Alpina

Comment

Hi
      Thanks for that. There is absolutely no way that I am letting this go as I paid £325 under false pretences. It's appalling, no other way to describe it. What I'm also going to have to do is speak to my insurer and tell them that I no longer have the declared Tracker on the car.

Words fail me (well, not quite)

Comment

Stepping away from their terms and conditions, they offered you the opportunity for lifetime tracking of your vehicle, assuming that 99.9% of people sell their cars I reckon they get away with this - they should honour it really - be worth digging out your documentation to see what T’s and C’s you can throw at them!

Comment

Hi
          Thanks for that, unfortunately, I did it all by email, never received any documentation - no T&C.

I've written a fairly strong letter, registered post; see what that brings forth.
          Cheers

Comment

They ignored my letter in November, so I sent another reminder just after New Year. They have now agreed to come out and fit a replacement unit, free of charge. (As you would expect a responsible supplier to do)

Comment

Excellent news! Well done for pursuing it
              Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
              ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
              Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

Originally posted by davieb View Post
                They ignored my letter in November, so I sent another reminder just after New Year. They have now agreed to come out and fit a replacement unit, free of charge. (As you would expect a responsible supplier to do)
                Nice one
                1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Shows persistence does pay off, well done.
                  Pete C

2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 805 of 821 RHD built

Previous BMWs

2003 E46 M3 6 speed manual - Carbon Black/Black interior.
                  2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 692 of 821 RHD built
                  1986 M635
                  1985 E28 M5
                  1983 E28 528i Alpina

Comment

Thank you. Persistence, a polite but firm response and registered post. (And a definite threat to take it further if they didn't respond favourably.)

Comment

There you go, all worked out in the end!

Comment

Working...
                      X