High level rear brake light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High level rear brake light

My high level rear brake light isn't working, I've tried the fuses in the engine bay and there doesn't appear to be one specifically for the high level light. Could it be the bulb? If so how do you access it?

I believe it prises out from the left hand side, pull it out and disconnect the harness. The bulbs are individually soldered onto the PCB
    2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

The safest way to get at the brake light is to remove the rear spoiler but I think it was designed to come out without having to do this,

there are lots of individual bulbs so chances are you have a wiring issue rather than all the bulbs being blown. Worth checking the hatch

wiring which is a known problem on these cars

Last edited by Dave P; 27-04-2015, 06:54 PM.

Comment

I guess it could be the connector which is under the spoiler...otherwise as Mr P ..wiring left hand side of hatch.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys... Think I'll get my auto spark to have a look at it.

Just had the ac Schnitzer spoiler fitted, I hope it doesn't need to come off!

Comment

TIS says it can be unclipped from the front,

http://workshop-manuals.com/bmw/3_se..._coup_m_coup)/

Comment

Thanks Dave, I'll give that a try over the weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by David z coupe View Post
                Thanks Dave, I'll give that a try over the weekend.
                Update... As advised by Dave the rear light comes out very easily using a flat blade screw driver. Once removed the connector is exposed as is the wire passing through the into the tailgate.

Turns out the wire that powered the rear light was broken as it passed from the tailgate to the body of the car. I will crimp on new connectors and re-wrap the cables using wiring harness tape.

Job jobbed!
                Last edited by David z coupe; 11-04-2015, 03:50 PM. Reason: Trying to get rid of angry face... Failed

Comment

Originally posted by David z coupe View Post
                  Update... As advised by Dave the rear light comes out very easily using a flat blade screw driver. Once removed the connector is exposed as is the wire passing through the into the tailgate.

Turns out the wire that powered the rear light was broken as it passed from the tailgate to the body of the car. I will crimp on new connectors and re-wrap the cables using wiring harness tape.

Job jobbed!
                  nice one click on "no icon" and the angry face should be removed

Comment

some details here regarding wiring ,

http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9031

Comment

Working...
                    X