Raid 340mm Silberpfeil Steering Wheel group buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gooner14 View Post
    I believe from Jonttt's thread's in the past, there is an extra cable need for a dual stage airbag, that effects cards from some point in 1999. Jonttt would be best to comment on that. I believe he made his own
    I've posted up on Zroadster to Acemans thread to encourage people over to check this out as I think its that good a mod. I know there are a few looking.

The price looks very good. When I researched / sourced mine a few years ago you where looking at c£700 all in. Thats when the euro was virtually 1:1 though.

I have the perforated one which is great and I think still looks OEM. To answer someones question on another thread the idea behind perforated leather is that your skin do not sweat as much. In practice on a steering wheel I don't think this make any difference and so its more cosmetic. If I had the choice again I would go perforated.

Re the single stage v dual stage difference (pre 04/99 cars are single stage) the only difference is the wiring adaptor. The hub adaptor is the same and you use the original slip ring. Its just the way the slip ring connects to the wheel that you can buy an adaptor for a dual stage system (you get the single stage adaptor by default with the Z3 hub adaptor kit unless they have changed the way they sell them).

In practice you can make one yourself ie get the single stage hub and adaptor kit and all you do it make up a second wire from the slip ring to the 2nd circuit on the car with a 3 to 3.5ohm resistor to fool the dual stage system that a dual stage wheel is fitted. The only important thing is you connect the wheel to stage one and bridge stage 2 circuits.

But if you have the choice at the same cost of getting a 2 stage hub adaptor and wiring harness you may as well spec that. If its more than a few quid more I would not bother and make you own bridging wire.

Have a look at my guide which gives you all of the wiring and also how to connect so you can make it a straight / easy swap back (I could fit my OEM wheel back on in 5 minutes).

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewt...p?f=18&t=23787
    VIDEO or Journal

Comment

I am all for this buy...I actually need two. if someone could tell me if I have a dual or single stage airbag, that would help:

2002 s54 M coupe (US spec)
      1999 s50b32 M coupe (European spec) - I will check on the month it was built.

The only other thing I am thinking about is where is the 'horn' button? I thought Raid's had silver 'thumb' buttons for the horn?
      BMW Polygamy
      1988 E30 M3: stolen Zinnabarot/Tan
      1991 850Ci: Sold.
      1999 M Coupe: Sold
      2002 M Coupe: (US Spec, S54) Custom Black/Black, Powerflo Headers, UUC short shift, RK6A, RAID silberfil, 3.73 LSD, Randy Forbes sub-frame kit, ACS splitters & roof wing, rear diffuser, SSR GT3 18" wheels
      2006 Mini Cooper Sold

sigpic

Comment

i think the swapover date from single to dual, was around 03/99, only way to check would be to remove the airbag and take a pic of the plug/connectors

im not sure if this is true (i read it about E36's)
        apparently US spec E36's didnt have a dual stage airbag (im talking about E36 3 series) i dont know if that applied to M Coupe's (S52/S54) too

Click here to email me

Comment

Why in the world do you guys fit such an awful looking steering wheel to your beautiful cars?

Comment

Originally posted by racer mxm View Post
            The only other thing I am thinking about is where is the 'horn' button? I thought Raid's had silver 'thumb' buttons for the horn?
            I emailed Carnewal again this morning to ask. On the Silberpfeil model, the horn buttons are beneath the leather. There is apparently a small horn icon shown on the leather.

Because each order will be placed individually via their website, they are willing to apply a discount to any of the available Raid models. It'll just be a case of quoting a group buy code on your order. I'll distribute that code once we have the 5 orders required to initiate the discount. No further discount available for more than 5 orders.

For the Cavallo Race (710311) for example, the price is 405 euro instead of 440 euro ex vat

Hope this helps chaps, and don't forger the type printed across the airbag is an option that can be removed. Thankfully!

Originally posted by sk8flex View Post
            Why in the world do you guys fit such an awful looking steering wheel to your beautiful cars?
            Personally, I think they look and more importantly, feel so much better than the OE wheel, while still retaining an OE sort of finish that doesn't look out of place in the MC. And of course, they retain an airbag.
            Last edited by Fat Tony; 03-08-2012, 08:35 AM.
            Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
            ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
            Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

Yea these wheels look fine in the car. I notice they now have a round RAID logo imprinted into the leather so that would be easy to cover with a small BMW badge? Mine has an oval raid badge which I keep thinking about peeling off and putting an M badge on!

Comment

Normal steering wheel is huge, and pretty ugly. I like OEM, and this is as close to that as I can find. I can't put up with the bus wheel much longer.

Originally posted by Fat Tony View Post
                Because each order will be placed individually via their website, they are willing to apply a discount to any of the available Raid models. It'll just be a case of quoting a group buy code on your order. I'll distribute that code once we have the 5 orders required to initiate the discount. No further discount available for more than 5 orders.
                Tony, you're a legend. Thanks for organising this. Do you have the code yet, or do they want to wait until 5 orders are definite?

Comment

It's a pleasure. Helps us all out

Best wait until we have the 5 buyers ready I think. No point in anybody ordering beforehand because the discount won't be applied.
                  Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
                  ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
                  Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

I guess everyone's entitled to their opinion on the aesthetics of the OE steering wheels on the z3s and z3ms. The thing is, for anyone taller than 6ft, the things are outright dangerous. As the wheel does not adjust on the z3, I found that my knee constantly rubbed against it reducing the speed at which I could turn the wheel. I also constantly got cramps in my hands as the grip on the wheel was too thin for me.

I personally think that the Raid wheels look extremely good. It's got a racier look and feel which are in line with the way the rest of the car looks. The OE wheel just looks out of place and causes the cabin to feel cramped compromising the driver's comfort and ability to drive safely (if on the taller side).

Comment

I'm over 6 foot and have had absolutely no problems with the oem wheel.
                      S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

Some pics of mine to help you make a decision.

nb Mine had the stick on raid wheel which I replaced with a schnitzer one but I did try one of the little ///M badges which you can get for the wheels and those fitted great as well.

The horn buttons on mine are silver but I believe the black ones are in the same place.

My 2 stage (>04/99 cars) wiring harnesses. I cut the original harness and fitted spade connectors to make the two wheels easily interchangeable. The bridge loop simply has a resistor under the shrink wrap and the ends bridge the +ve and -ve on the cars 2nd stage circuit to fool the system into thinking the airbag is connected to the 2nd circuit during the system diagnostics. If you have a pre 04/99 car you don't need this bridging wire. The connectors on the right (less the spade connectors I fitted) is what you get with the Z3 hub adaptor kit. So you can see how easy/cheap it is to make up the 2nd circuit bridge loop if you need one, no need to pay a lot for the official one (I can't remember how much they are but remember it was not worth it ;-)

Last edited by Jonttt; 04-08-2012, 01:06 AM.
                        VIDEO or Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tony View Post
                          It's a pleasure. Helps us all out

Best wait until we have the 5 buyers ready I think. No point in anybody ordering beforehand because the discount won't be applied.
                          1) Fat Tony
                          2) Gooner14
                          3) Breezer. Phase 1, non-perforated, no writing!
                          4) Racer MXM, smooth, no writing
                          5) Racer MXM, perforated, no writing

there now you have 5 :), just still waiting on the dual or single stage thingy. the '99 s50 is in Dubai and I am in Jeddah and the mechnics are not answering the phone or bb for some reason today. As for the '02 s54, I think its safe to assume that its a dual stage.
                          BMW Polygamy
                          2002 M Coupe: (US Spec, S54) Custom Black/Black, Powerflo Headers, UUC short shift, RK6A, RAID silberfil, 3.73 LSD, Randy Forbes sub-frame kit, ACS splitters & roof wing, rear diffuser, SSR GT3 18" wheels
                          2006 Mini Cooper Sold

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by racer mxm View Post
                            1) Fat Tony
                            2) Gooner14
                            3) Breezer. Phase 1, non-perforated, no writing!
                            4) Racer MXM, smooth, no writing
                            5) Racer MXM, perforated, no writing

there now you have 5 :), just still waiting on the dual or single stage thingy. the '99 s50 is in Dubai and I am in Jeddah and the mechnics are not answering the phone or bb for some reason today. As for the '02 s54, I think its safe to assume that its a dual stage.
                            If the S50 is a "facelift" ie chrome ringed headlights, chrome front grill slats, central locking fuel cap then it is a dual stage, if not its a pre facelift single stage ;-)
                            VIDEO or Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Jonttt View Post
                              If the S50 is a "facelift" ie chrome ringed headlights, chrome front grill slats, central locking fuel cap then it is a dual stage, if not its a pre facelift single stage ;-)
                              her is a front pic:

BMW Polygamy
                              2006 Mini Cooper Sold

sigpic

Comment

looks like a pre 04/99 so should be single stage airbag but worth double checking the build date from the strut sticker or chassis number via realoem/BMW web site

Comment

Working...
                                X