Wanted: Raid 340MM Steering Wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted: Raid 340MM Steering Wheel

Just on the off chance that someone has one!

The same steering wheel is fitted to a lot of different cars including Porsche, Aston Martin etc.
    I even had one on my last Smart Roadster!

So should be plenty available from breakers or on ebay - just a case of getting the correct boss to fit to BMW E36.
    ----------------
    David
    1999 M Coupe (S50)
    >>Read my journal here<<
    2005 Smart Roadster-Coupe Brabus
    2022 Range Rover Evoque PHEV

Comment

Originally posted by 137699 View Post
      The same steering wheel is fitted to a lot of different cars including Porsche, Aston Martin etc.
      I even had one on my last Smart Roadster!

So should be plenty available from breakers or on ebay - just a case of getting the correct boss to fit to BMW E36.
      Thanks, did you like it?

Also fitted to the DB7 Vantage and Vanquish in various forms as OEM.

Most seem to be 320mm or 365mm and I have a feeling that 340mm would be best.

I'm after a plain black one with the minimum of markings, then keep my original wheel top put back on should the purists scoff if I ever sell.

Comment

Originally posted by urquattrogus View Post
        I'm after a plain black one with the minimum of markings, then keep my original wheel top put back on should the purists scoff if I ever sell.

Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
        ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
        Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tony View Post

That looks just the job, have set some reminders on ebay etc

Not many people seem to sell them new, scary that some Porsche people want to charge a ridiculous £950!

Comment

Best of luck with the hunt. I'm sure if any of us spot one we'll flag it for you. It was really simple to organise our group buy a few years ago, so it's odd that they're so hard to get hold of now

I wonder if it would be worth your while getting in touch with http://www.carnewal.com/ who we bought through? They didn't have them in for the Z3 when I got in touch, instead buying them in to fulfil our order.
            Last edited by Fat Tony; 12-01-2021, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Thanks, did you like it?

Also fitted to the DB7 Vantage and Vanquish in various forms as OEM.

Most seem to be 320mm or 365mm and I have a feeling that 340mm would be best.

I did like it yes and the smaller diameter did really improve the dynamics of driving. That said on the smart the electronics for paddleshift and angle sensor meant the boss added some cm to the non-adjustable steering column so it did jut out a fair bit. Probably not an issue you’d have on the BMW.

So when I replaced my roadster for another one in 2016 I went with a different steering wheel this time (still smaller than original but from a newer smart model).

As for pricing, one for the smart will always command over £1200. But that’s because of the electronics I think.
              We also found that when replacing the airbag, Aston Martin dealers charge roughly half what smart dealers do..... who’d have thought Aston parts would be “bargain cheap”!
              Last edited by 137699; 11-01-2021, 11:08 PM.
              ----------------
              David
              1999 M Coupe (S50)
              >>Read my journal here<<
              2005 Smart Roadster-Coupe Brabus
              2022 Range Rover Evoque PHEV

Comment

I like the counter-intuitive nature of the Smart/Aston story :)

So, things are becoming a little clearer now, Carnewal say that they (ATIWE?) have stopped making these steering wheels as the airbag manufacturer went bankrupt.

I also found another snippet saying that the company is focussing on OEM more and it seems harder to buy their products, so I guess it's look our for a secondhand or NOS one.

Comment

Ah damn, that's a shame but I guess goes some way to explaining the sometimes daft second hand prices.

I may now buy a steering wheel clamp to deter theft of it, ha

Comment

320cm on ebay Germany

https://www.ebay.de/itm/BMW-E36-Z3-E....c100010.m2109

Comment

I suspect 320mm may feel a little on the small side personally, but nice find Dave.

Also worth mentioning to check that you can actually successfully ship a wheel with an airbag to you from wherever the seller is - airbags seem to cause real headaches with some couriers

Comment

Ebay Germany is worth checking and I am sure companies are posting airbags without declaring the contents.

Comment

Are they no longer available from Carnewal? I remember when I bought a 340mm one I just ordered it straight from Gert Carnewal's website for a few hundred pounds + £55 for a boss adaptor. £1200 for a used one sounds nuts!

What's the diameter of the standard BMW wheel?
                          Last edited by breezer; 18-01-2021, 04:24 PM.

Comment

375mm is standard wheel I think.

They have stopped making them as the people that supply the airbags went bust.

So far can only find 320 and 365mm versions.

Still deciding what to do/keeping an eye out.

Comment

375mm is standard wheel I think.

They have stopped making them as the people that supply the airbags went bust.

So far can only find 320 and 365mm versions.

Still deciding what to do/keeping an eye out.
                              Damn, that's a real pain! Must be an equivalent or better aftermarket wheel somewhere?

Comment

Working...
                              X