No announcement yet.

Wanted: Raid 340MM Steering Wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doesn't seem to many other options if you want an airbag.

I'm considering giving the facelifted Z3 wheel (looks like the E46) a go which is the same size but a direct fit, I could then get the rim re covered/bolstered and keep my original.

I want the original to put back on as is.

The plain Raid Daytona looks nice, a bit like a Personal one I had on my urquattro and TVR just with an airbag.

This was a nice wheel:

Last edited by urquattrogus; 18-01-2021, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by urquattrogus View Post
      Doesn't seem to many other options if you want an airbag.

I'm considering giving the facelifted Z3 wheel (looks like the E46) a go which is the same size but a direct fit, I could then get the rim re covered/bolstered and keep my original.

I want the original to put back on as is.

The plain Raid Daytona looks nice, a bit like a Personal one I had on my urquattro and TVR just with an airbag.

This was a nice wheel:

I'm unreasonably annoyed by this.

I want another Z3M but the steering wheels are horrendous. First thing I did with my old was was get a Raid one. I can't believe there was only 1 aftermarket steering wheel in the world that offered airbags! Why has nobody filled this gap I wonder?

Comment

Hahah Not as annoyed as I am, i've googled the hell out of it and drawn a blank!

Tempted to try a Raid 365 wheel for about £300 but I feel i would always want the 340mm.

I've ordered a good second hand facelift E46 M style Z3 wheel to try, can always sell it on if I don't like. If I do like it I'll get it re trimmed. The plastic trim on this wheel can be interchanged or even painted by the looks too.

In the meantime will be keeping my eyes out for a riad wheel but don't want to overpay for a scabby S/H one :)

Comment

I’ve a feeling that Chris (C_W) felt that the 340 was a little too small for his preference so that 365 might be worth a try. I love the size of the 340, absolutely spot on for me

Anything smaller than the OEM HGV size has to be an improvement, ha
          Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
          ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
          Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

Have you considered asking Royal Steering wheels if they can take a standard E36 wheel and modify it to make a smaller wheel?
            I've seen it done with other brands where they effectively cut/shorten the spokes, chop down or replace the outer ring to make a smaller circumference, then reconstruct with new padding & covering to make it look factory at the end.

They generally look really good and joe-public probably wouldn't know it wasn't factory.
            ----------------
            David
            1999 M Coupe (S50)
            >>Read my journal here<<
            2005 Smart Roadster-Coupe Brabus
            2022 Range Rover Evoque PHEV

Comment

I’ve also never liked the factory wheel and always felt they numbed the feel of the car. My search for a 340mm Raid wheel (at a realistic price) has proved fruitless. Instead of going for a Raid 365mm wheel, I’ve bought one from a Z4 which is also 365mm, much cheaper, an original BMW part and - to my eyes - better looking. Although the hub will require a little bit of machining to make it fit....
              2001 S54 Silver with Red/Black interior. Totally standard.

Comment

Some progress on this.

I will ask about making steering wheels smaller but I'm not sure if people will be willing to do it, most still have a metal ring under the foam rim and I also slightly worry about safety.

Still no raid wheel but here is the Facelift Z3 Steering wheel I have just bought complete with Airbag and Slip Ring, from a 2002 car.

It's the same 375mm size but I'm struck by how much nicer it feels in the hand without even fitting it.

The quality of the leather feels nicer, and the rim is sort of flat and a bit fatter, and the thumb grips near the airbag feel nice.

It's also a two stage airbag which my car has so hopefully no messing with wiring.

I think I'll try it and then maybe consider re-trimming or changing the coloured silver insert for plain black or maybe if I'm daring Estoril Matt.

Untitled by urquattro gus, on Flickr

Part no of wheel:

Comment

I am with you on this one All the standard OEM steering wheels are to large for the coupe

I have an old EVO E36 sport wheel with the air bag I have seen this on the forum reduced in size by carsdream.com , perhaps you could give them a shout

Comment

I’m interested on how the z4 will fit, it’s definitely a nicer wheel with a much more compact Centre.

I follow a company called Bognor Motors on Facebook. They are selling heavily modified VW transporter steering wheels. There must be companies out there cutting steering wheels up and putting them together again with a smaller diameter

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tony View Post
                      I’ve a feeling that Chris (C_W) felt that the 340 was a little too small for his preference so that 365 might be worth a try. I love the size of the 340, absolutely spot on for me

Anything smaller than the OEM HGV size has to be an improvement, ha
                      Mines a 340 too I think. It's significantly smaller than stock, but it's not ridiculous like a 320mm size. I sold my original M wheel years ago and as I had thoughts of putting the stock one back on during my recent "restoration" I found a dual stage M steering wheel but haven't put it back on yet. It's nice to know if I did, I can sell my Raid for a million pounds

Comment

So, I thought I'd try fitting an M trim to the lower half of the steering wheel to make it more befitting.

It all fitted except for a very small gap at the bottom! B@gger!

However, I'm sure if I get the wheel Re-Trimmed they could space out this gap.

Maybe getting this wheel trimmed in black alcantara or leather and it would look quite nice.

But it's still not smaller, starting to wonder if worth it but I think I'll try it!

I'm going to ring a few people and see, maybe Royal Steering wheels and AN other.

I also had a vague idea of maybe trying to add estoril blue highlights at the top of the wheel, but shied away from doing it.

I'd ordered Estoril Blue Matt (YF40) in a spary can and wondered if it would match the dash and seats, alas, after testing some on a plastic light fitting, it looks like a no!

The dash colour is darker, anyone know the paint code, or if there is one??

Last edited by urquattrogus; 31-01-2021, 04:23 PM.

Comment

“Interior” Estoril blue is a completely different colour to “exterior” estoril blue.
                          I took off a door card and had my paint guy colour match it and he did a decent job though even then it’s come out a very different shade to the factory internal colour.
                          ----------------
                          David
                          1999 M Coupe (S50)
                          >>Read my journal here<<
                          2005 Smart Roadster-Coupe Brabus
                          2022 Range Rover Evoque PHEV

Comment

Spoken to Jack at Royal steering wheels and I'm going to send it off for the following:

Black Alcantara rim with M stitching

M3 Style Thumb Grips

He can probably space out the bottom part too.

Should look nice and if I don't like it I guess I'll sell it on to another Z3 owner as I'd imagine it won't be an offensive colour combo.

Comment

Will these pass an MOT without a drivers airbag?

Or I wonder if a Mitsubishi Evo wheel would fit? It’s the only other relatively unobtrusive design that I think would suit this car. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MITSUBISH....m46890.l49292

Or...has anyone had a steering wheel cut down to size? The E36 3 spoker could be a good candidate for that.
                              Last edited by breezer; 25-02-2021, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Just had mine back fro royal it’s the 3rd one I’ve had done all very good. https://youtu.be/-v-YpTOQ1Yw

Comment

Working...
                                X