removing air box s50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• removing air box s50

I am no mechanic but not a complete idiot, so thought I would have a go at removing airbox and plenum to view some of the pipes and ICV, hopefully give that a clean.

Well i undid the nut to the right of the box clearly holding on the right side of the airbox and a bolt in the heat sheild holding the left side, but it felt like there was something holding on the front of the airbox. I didnt undo any of the rubber pipes or MAF sensor as felt like the airbox had another housing somewhere. I couldnt see if there was a housing at the front of the airbox.

Does anyone have a link to removing? I had a quick look for a haynes manual but there doesnt seem to be one for the z3m coupe. There is a bentley one for £70 on Amazon. Is this the only manual?

Many thanks, Dave

Bentley manual doesn't cover the Euro S50 engine with it being a US publication but does cover body brakes etc which are mostly the same. Not sure if there are any other manuals worth having.

The air filter hosing just has the heat shield bolt and nut on inner wing also hose to remove from bottom and maf connector and hose clamp on rubber elbow. There is a rubber bung which holds the housing in situ but the whole assembly should just lift up with everything undone.

picture showing bung on left

Comment

Picture showing just air filter housing and heat shield removed, the black round rubber thingy on the inner wing attaches to the airbox and holds it in place

Apologies for the E36M3 strut covers which have now been removed and sold
      Last edited by Dave P; 07-10-2019, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Thanks Dave

Thanks Dave, I did joke i need your direct telephone number before!! so if i remove the bolt on inner wing, nut in heat shield, undo MAF clips, there is a house lower left on airbox which I could see, but with the two nuts removed, and MAF undone should I be able to pull airbox clear to then remove the hose lower left?

I think after driving it today it might be my Throttle control sensor as its fine if you fire it from cold, but if you turn it off and on, then it stalls. The tick over is low sometimes just above 500rpm but doesnt stall. It does move up to around 6-700 if stationary for a bit.

Nice pics again Dave

Comment

Originally posted by the badger View Post
          Thanks Dave, I did joke i need your direct telephone number before!! so if i remove the bolt on inner wing, nut in heat shield, undo MAF clips, there is a house lower left on airbox which I could see, but with the two nuts removed, and MAF undone should I be able to pull airbox clear to then remove the hose lower left?

I think after driving it today it might be my Throttle control sensor as its fine if you fire it from cold, but if you turn it off and on, then it stalls. The tick over is low sometimes just above 500rpm but doesnt stall. It does move up to around 6-700 if stationary for a bit.

Nice pics again Dave

Yes if you remove and undue those items then the hosing should be free and lift up.

Comment

Thanks Dave

Thanks again Dave

Comment

Nice pics again Dave

Might be worth changing the Throttle position sensor but they are not that cheap these days.

Comment

Tps

am I right in thinking hella made the OEM spec TPS for our cars?

Comment

am I right in thinking hella made the OEM spec TPS for our cars?
                  Not sure as I cant find my old one, did find this picture online which shows a manufacturer mark of ab - AB Elektronik ?

Last edited by Dave P; 08-10-2019, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Thanks Dave

Hi Dave, thanks again, will see what that part number comes up with from the stealers :(

Comment

Hi Dave, thanks again, will see what that part number comes up with from the stealers :(

realoem details,

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=13_0579

Comment

Any update?

Comment

There was a superceded part for this, maybe it was just a change in manufacturer but they changed them around 2007 I think. I might have a spare (good one) somewhere.

Comment

Meant did he get the airbox off

Comment

Oh I was just adding to the throttle sensor bit hehe

Comment

Working...
                              X