DSC light has come on and remains on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've now got INPA and the lead set up.

The ASC/DSC is throwing fault code "166 Pressure Sensor 2". Apparently the sensors are at the side of the master cylinder and access looks a bit tight. So I'll investigate that further.
    Last edited by exdos; 11-08-2018, 01:32 PM.
    /// Exdos ///
    "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

A very long shot but could be something similar to this;

https://youtu.be/De5mY0cObyg

Do it with the ignition off! Read the comments.

I'm just wondering if it is linked to the MOT and the fact it's been on the brake rollers. Highly unlikely and I can't really think of a genuine link even if they ran the rears with the LSD.

Comment

All the electrical connections for the ABS/DSC and pressure sensors are tucked under the brake cylinder and it looks as though I'll have to empty the cylinder of fluid, disconnect a couple of brake pipes and then remove the cylinder and stuff to get access to remove all the connectors. If I need to do that, I'll also fit a pair of new sensors whilst I'm at it: it'll cost about £40 for the parts, so a cheap repair if it works.
        /// Exdos ///
        "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

When I hooked up the MC to INPA on Saturday morning the DSC did actually get knocked off, but not by anything I did specifically to adjust any settings, so I had no idea what did this. I then took the car for a test drive and I could switch the DSC off/on at will. When I got back, I decided that I'd hook the car up again to see if there were any new fault codes and the DSC came back on permanently and I couldn't knock the light off no matter what.

This afternoon I hooked the car up again and this has again knocked off the DSC light and all I've done was, in INPA, open the ABS/DSC function with the E46 chassis files (there are none specifically for the Z3 or MC). I'm going to leave it at that until/if the DSC light comes on again and then I'll change the pressure sensors. I can't think of any logical explanation other than making outside electrical connection has zapped the Gremlins lurking in the DSC module.
          Last edited by exdos; 13-08-2018, 03:23 PM.
          /// Exdos ///

Comment

That's odd. Almost like a ctrl alt delete windows fix!

I guess I would just check that the dsc is actually working by performing a few emergency starts. Then deactivate it and check that it allows you to burn some rubber.

Comment

That's right, some sort of reset procedure. It's rather irritating though working out whether or not there's a genuine pressure sensor defect or just a software/electrical glitch.
              /// Exdos ///

Comment

Did you ever get any joy with this?

Comment

Originally posted by Jon_Bmw View Post
                  Did you ever get any joy with this?
                  I managed to get rid of the DSC light remaining on just by using INPA and connecting it to the appropriate ECU. I have no idea what has changed by doing this but it has worked and the DSC switch now switches the DSC off/on as it should do..
                  Last edited by exdos; 08-12-2018, 02:09 PM.
                  /// Exdos ///

Comment

So I took the MC out for one of its occasional trips onto tarmac this afternoon and the DSC light came on again and remained on.

However, since this problem occurred I've recently bought a Foxwell NT510 Multi-System Scanner, so I hooked it up to the MC. The MC isn't too co-operative to this scanner but when it eventually decided to play, I was able to view the ABS/DSC ECU and I discovered that I was able to run about 15 different tests of the ABS/DSC system. These tests comprised of activating various valves (inlet/exhaust etc.) that control the ABS/DSC system. So I methodically worked my way through each of the activations and cleared the 3 fault codes afterwards.

After I'd operated all the valves and pumps in the system, the DSC light went off and the switch now controls the DSC properly, as it should. I therefore suspect that the problem I've had is the effect of lack of use of the car in anger on electric contacts somewhere in the ABS/DSC system. It was great though to discover that I can now activate all the electrical systems on the car ((i.e. 4 Vanos valves, various pumps, valves, coils, heaters and fans etc.) to ensure everything continues to work as it should.

The Foxwell scanner cost £130 and it had already saved me a garage bill on my Mini Countryman so it's been money very well spent and interesting finding out more about my cars.
                    /// Exdos ///

Comment

Good to see you posting again Exdos. Hope you're well and glad you got it sorted
                      Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
                      ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
                      Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tony View Post
                        Good to see you posting again Exdos. Hope you're well and glad you got it sorted
                        Thanks Tony. I'm well and hope you are too.
                        /// Exdos ///

Comment

Working...
                        X