Which oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which oil

Which oil our you guys using when changing, bmw previously always used 10w60 Castrol on M power cars but more recently I see they’re using 5w30 on they’re newer models and even when people have left an older m car in for a service they’ve used the same. Any opinions on the subject?

5w/40 most people will say for the S50B32 rather than the 10w/60 (S54)

some details/discussion here,

https://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showt...t=18336&page=4

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
      5w/40 most people will say for the S50B32 rather than the 10w/60 (S54)

some details/discussion here,

https://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showt...t=18336&page=4

Thanks for info

Comment

I was in the 10W 60 Camp but also have seen that 5W 40 is recommended for the S50 and that's what I've gone for, it also seems to be what it's always been run on so far too so why change. `

I like the idea that it will be more viscous and warm up quicker for road use and in the winter than the generally thicker 10W 60 which one would presume would be better if you spend a lot of time on track or in much hotter climates.

Not sure why they recommend 10W60 for the S54, different cam followers etc??

Comment

At the time of introduction the S54 engined cars had a longer gap between services which in part was down to the 10/60 oil. I had 10/60 in my S50B32 for several years and when the shell bearings were replaced

there was very little wear (although only 44k miles) have since gone back to 5w/40 but don't notice any difference.

Comment

I always run 10/60 in my e46 and e92 but never knew they recommended 5/40 for the s50, so I’ll just go with it.

Comment

Working...
            X