Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New suspension - Bilstein B8 & Eibach springs with 10mm spacers

Am new to the forum so hi all,

I had the above fitted last week and generally I'm pleased, apart from, IMO I feel the front wheels protrude more than the rears, and the front is very slightly higher than the rear. I've attached a pic.

I removed the spacers today but then the wheels rubbed, and for the life of me (and embarrassingly!) I can't see what the wheels are rubbing on. The inner rim isn't scraping on anything like the shock, which you'd expect. Any clues?

I bought the spacers voluntarily, nobody advised I needed them. I just bought them to improve the stance, but maybe I do need them?

Also, with regard to the front, I'd like it 5-10mm lower than it is. What are the options, H&R springs (currently installed Eibach 25mm) or thinner rubbers?

FYI I'm not at all a mechanic!

Welcome to the forum

Comment

Welcome Brad
      Do you have standard wheels fitted?
      H&R springs go well with the bilstein shocks and give a 30mm drop all round. If you want to adjust the rake then there are different thickness rear spring pads available
      1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Thank you Dave.

Thanks for the tip Ian_C. Yes standard wheels. Yours looks mighty fine, what setup are you running? Any idea on the rubbing?

Comment

Theres not much scope to adjust the front rideheight with fixed springs. On the rear you can get thicker spring pads to adjust height easily; is itnot that the rear is too low rather than front too high?

Comment

In fact, I wish both the rear and front were lower, more like that of Ian-C's.

Can anyone recommend a set of springs to lower the car more than the Eibach's I currently have?

Comment

What's IanC got?

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
                What's IanC got?
                I’ve got KWv3 coilovers fitted rather than fixed springs.
                1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                  Thank you Dave.

Thanks for the tip Ian_C. Yes standard wheels. Yours looks mighty fine, what setup are you running? Any idea on the rubbing?
                  I used to have H&R springs fitted and had 12mm spacers all round. No rubbing at all.
                  1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Thanks.

I'm struggling to find images of lowered Z3M's identifying which springs have been used so I can see the end result. Whilst I considered the KW3's I decided I wanted to retain fixed shocks and springs.

It seems the Eibach's haven't actually lowered the car by 25mm as advertised, but I appreciate this can vary with car/shocks. So, I want to replace the Eibach's so it's another 10-15mm lower, but what springs are on offer? The H&R's drop by 30mm and V-Maxx 35mm but not sure if they're good quality?

I've scoured the forum but can't find many 'end result' images of dropped Z3M's telling what setup was used (sorry if I've missed them!).

Ideally if there's anyone with Bilstein shocks and springs different to Eibach, would be great to hear your views and see your results.

Comment

This former members car says it has Bilstein b8 sprints and 30mm intrax springs fitted as an example

Comment

AC Schnitzer kit with 25mm drop

Comment

Great, thanks Dave, very useful.

Comment

So an update...

I've had the Eibach's replaced with H&R's and here are the comparative measurements. (I didn't bother measuring the original stock suspension as they were shot)...

From bottom of arch to top of rim in mm

Eibach H&R Diff
                            REAR 102 97 5
                            FRONT 120 113 7

Front is still 16mm higher than rear with H&R's

So the H&R's compared to the Eibach are are 5mm lower on the rear and 7mm lower on the front. However, the front is still 16mm higher than the rear.

Any suggestions on how to lower the front a little more? Can I tweak anything else, like mounts or anything? I don't want to higher the rear.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                              So an update...

I've had the Eibach's replaced with H&R's and here are the comparative measurements. (I didn't bother measuring the original stock suspension as they were shot)...

From bottom of arch to top of rim in mm

Eibach H&R Diff
                              REAR 102 97 5
                              FRONT 120 113 7

Front is still 16mm higher than rear with H&R's

So the H&R's compared to the Eibach are are 5mm lower on the rear and 7mm lower on the front. However, the front is still 16mm higher than the rear.

Any suggestions on how to lower the front a little more? Can I tweak anything else, like mounts or anything? I don't want to higher the rear.

How are you taking your measurements? ground to wheel arch?

Comment

Working...
                              X