Brake lights not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake lights not working

Luckily someone noticed today: all the brake lights no longer work. Just wondering, is there a switch operating off the hydraulics that may when broken, cause the brake electrics to fail? Anyone else encountered this?
    Thanks
    S54 M Coupe
    D5 Alpina Touring

There's a switch under the brake pedal that can go bad. Relatively cheap and easy diy (bit fiddly, but that's about it).
    2001 S54 Silver with Red/Black interior. Totally standard.

Comment

Thanks. Assume it’s a part available via dealers?
      S54 M Coupe
      D5 Alpina Touring

Comment

I think this is the part number: 61318360417

Readily available through dealers / parts suppliers.
        2001 S54 Silver with Red/Black interior. Totally standard.

Comment

Very helpful thanks.
          I’ll do that then think about the cruise control which has also stopped working!
          S54 M Coupe
          D5 Alpina Touring

Comment

You may find the cruise starts to work again when you get the brake lights working. The cruise monitors the brake switch and uses it to cancel the cruise when you press the brake pedal so if faulty it maybe sending the cancel signal all the time. It would also be worth checking the connector for the switch is firmly attached!

Andy

Comment

Yes good point! Thanks
              S54 M Coupe
              D5 Alpina Touring

Comment

Make sure to keep us posted one you resolve the issue.

Comment

Great advice from this forum. All fixed !! Plus the cruise now works, so please bear in mind if anyone else has cruise control issues, it may be the brake light switch.
                  It wasn’t the easiest of jobs, but would be straight forward if I did it again. Just need to remember to leave the red surround pulled out when you’re fitting the switch, otherwise it’s a real struggle.
                  Thanks again.
                  Any ideas about power steering! Mine has always made a whining noise and is slow unless I increase the Revs when stationary. I’ve changed the rusty piping around the rad plus changed the power steering fluid but it still isn’t quite right, unless it’s generally poor on these cars, problem is I’ve never driven another one do have nothing to compare it with.
                  S54 M Coupe
                  D5 Alpina Touring

Comment

Originally posted by Howiez View Post
                    Great advice from this forum. All fixed !! Plus the cruise now works, so please bear in mind if anyone else has cruise control issues, it may be the brake light switch.
                    It wasn’t the easiest of jobs, but would be straight forward if I did it again. Just need to remember to leave the red surround pulled out when you’re fitting the switch, otherwise it’s a real struggle.
                    Thanks again.
                    Any ideas about power steering! Mine has always made a whining noise and is slow unless I increase the Revs when stationary. I’ve changed the rusty piping around the rad plus changed the power steering fluid but it still isn’t quite right, unless it’s generally poor on these cars, problem is I’ve never driven another one do have nothing to compare it with.
                    Did you bleed the air out when you changed the fluid? (Lock to lock a couple of times with the cap off the power steering fluid reservoir and the engine running)
                    1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Yes I did that. Fear is, it may need a new powder steering pump someday
                      S54 M Coupe
                      D5 Alpina Touring

Comment

Had a whining noise and the culprit was the belt.

Comment

Working...
                        X