No announcement yet.

New Journal: Rhubarb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replaced the Throttle Position Sensor after having a fluctuating idle after full throttle pulls.

Sorted the problem and dead easy to do (2x Phillips screws!)

Build thread: https://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19347

Comment

• Not much more happening with the coupe other than considering what suspension to get.

Took the car out with the new toy to get into Top Gear. Unfortunately we didn't get in but had the opportunity to take photos of both cars together

Got loads of interest in the Coupe, the M3 was just brushed over!

Comment

• What suspension are you running currently?

oe top mounts are good for fit and forget, last ages and probably quieter than adjustable stuff

Comment

• Currently running KW V3s but the old Koni insert style.

Thanks for the advice

Comment

• Car looks really well. Great to be able to see what things need doing and can be achieved in another Zm, even better that it's the same colour.

I like the look of the car on the lower suspension but I"m torn between having the OEM spec or looking cool and more sporty.
            2001 E46 M3 Coupe for me / 2007 E91 335i for the Dogs.

Comment

• Originally posted by jonnysideways View Post
              I like the look of the car on the lower suspension but I"m torn between having the OEM spec or looking cool and more sporty.
              Go for coilovers then you can change ride height to suit your mood
              1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

• Would upset my OEM'ness lol.

I have some bilsteins on E36 and E46, and always preferred the OEM ride, although they both looked a hell of a lot better with the arch gab reduced, the ride just wasn't as good on the road.

Around Anglesey Circuit mod, now that was a different matter!

Comment

Would upset my OEM'ness lol.

I have some bilsteins on E36 and E46, and always preferred the OEM ride, although they both looked a hell of a lot better with the arch gab reduced, the ride just wasn't as good on the road.

Around Anglesey Circuit mod, now that was a different matter!
                  Was that with standard springs? Or lowering/stiffer springs?

I'm thinking of Bilstein or Koni Shocks but with standard springs and maybe H&R anti roll bars..... I want to improve the handling slightly but have a good ride, I think a good ride and sensible ground clearance is so underated on British backroads. I have a 2017 Alfa Giulia Quad and that fairly well nails the ride/handling balance. More Supple than a current M3 but handles better.
                  Last edited by urquattrogus; 18-02-2020, 10:17 PM.

Comment

• Hi. Without hijacking the thread.

I had E36 M3 on Bilsteins B8s and H&R Springs and had to change the internal bump stops which is a faff. It was too stiff for the road. So I swapped them for a new OEM setup.

Then had an E36 M3 on Bilsteins B6s randomly with H&R Race springs, dropped 50mm which shouldn't work with B6s as the B8s are a shortened shock.

The ride was more like OEM but you knew they were sports shocks, (though a set of Sachs Super Touring OEM BMW Shocks brand new felt good on a 100K car) but the springs were not working well as they were a bit coil bound and couldn't clear a cats eye, so put OEM springs on with the B6s and that made for a good compromise package, but didn't look as good esthetically.

This car also had upgrade Hartage antiroll bars, which we quite stiff, and did make the car handle quite flat on the track, first and the only car I've actually had with uprated anti-roll bars actually.

I had an E36 325 Coupe once that had had all its bushes changed for Powerflex with standard suspension and that was really quick harsh, so I've always sticked to OEM bushes, even if they are softer and fail...

Finally, on an E46 I swapped 85K OEM for a Bilstein B12 Pro kit, which was essentially B8 shocks matched with Eibach springs, and think it was dropped about 25MM

This was stiffer than standard on-road, firm and fine unless you hit an aggressive pothole, but generally, a good compromise for road and the track, though he E46 is a heavy track car in OEM trim.

I always like Bilsteins as they are OE approved shocks that are already used in many cars, and they have good extensive it testing, etc.

Anyway, this is all only my opinion ;0) after 5 E46's, and 11 E36's I think at last count.
                    Last edited by Jonnysideways; 19-02-2020, 10:58 AM.

Comment

• Decided it was about time to fit the new KWV3 suspension. I ordered these in July last year and received them in September, so they've been sat in the boot of the car for around 6 months.

The existing suspension is KWV3 too, but they are the old style from before 2007. I could feel that the car was quite stiff / bouncy and so the dampers were probably past their best.

I got the rear set done today, using Rogue Engineering rear top mounts so that they're easier to swap in future. Getting the rear interior out is a major pain, so I'm glad that I should NEVER have to do that again!

Picture of the new set

IMG_20200329_132501 by mnbrennan, on Flickr

The old dampers were well past their best. Very easy to push down and no return

IMG_20200329_140516 by mnbrennan, on Flickr

New and old side-by-side

IMG_20200329_142302 by mnbrennan, on Flickr

Installed

IMG_20200329_145712 by mnbrennan, on Flickr

I took it for a very quick spin and I can already tell that there's a huge difference. I can't wait to get the front on (tomorrow) and take it for a longer drive once this is all over!

Comment

• Looking tidy

Comment

• I got the front suspension fitted this week. I had to wait a couple of days for a new toolset to come so that I could tighten up the top nut. This is a really useful kit for a number of purposes, including the top nut on a front control arms for a friend!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Front coilovers fitted

IMG_20200330_121715 by mnbrennan, on Flickr

I also found (randomly) some clips that I must have bought last year and forgot about. Dave will be very proud ;)

IMG_20200402_122505 by mnbrennan, on Flickr

Comment

• I do love a good clip my self. Looks good, very envious of you K3's, as I noticed at weekend I can get my entire fist between the rear wheel and arch, that may need addressing, another thing for the list.

Comment

I do love a good clip my self. Looks good, very envious of you K3's, as I noticed at weekend I can get my entire fist between the rear wheel and arch, that may need addressing, another thing for the list.
                              It does come in handy though so that you can properly clean the crap off the inside of the rear wing lip
                              Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
                              ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
                              Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

• Love it

Comment

Working...
                                X