My First Z3M Coupe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheers, it was not looking too shabby when it arrived from you to be fair
    2001 E46 M3 Coupe for me / 2007 E91 335i for the Dogs.

Comment

• Started to review the rear situation, thanks to help from the forum as always.

Rear arb bushes and supports off, and though the supports could be improved with some elbow grease, I have ordered some replacements. The drop links have not arrived yet, and need to get the exhaust off without snapping the flanges first.
      Last edited by Jonnysideways; 27-10-2020, 10:58 AM.

Comment

• I don't think the exhaust flanges on the M Coupe are as fragile as the ones fitted to later cars like the E46 M3 so hopefully you should be ok

Comment

• Fingers crossed, I bought some new hex sockets, so should get a good grip on the nuts.

Comment

• New ARB mounts arrived, just the drop links to go....

Comment

• And all the way from sunny Germany...

So now all the parts are in for this weekends' job, just hope it doesn't rain too much.

Comment

• Final work on the rear ARB

Biggest part of the job was to remove the exhaust. As Dave had advised they clamps are quite solid, and I think them being located closer to the warm part of the exhaust helps to stop rust.

I was able to get the ARB out without having to take the second exhaust off or even dropping it out of the way, so that was a nice surprise.

A little worse for wear but not terrible, but I wanted a fresh look, so the second hand from from Dave was still going to get used.

The old rubbers were perished, but it was not falling off.

Next was to clean up all the bits, that weren't replaced.

Some black rust paint to give them some more life.

Almost dry, then on to the refit.

Eased on with some white spirt.

enter the powerflex rear ARB bushes and their lube.

drop link mounts attached.
                Last edited by Jonnysideways; 31-10-2020, 03:32 PM.

Comment

• Then back onto the car.

New supports added.

And a job that I didn't know needed doing, a missing bolt from the NS Tailpipe mount.

Not a BMW bolt, but the car didn't seem to care too much.
                  Last edited by Jonnysideways; 06-11-2020, 09:32 PM.

Comment

• One final job that I decided to do is sort the OS headlamp, the fact the mount was split and there was a stone chip in the plastic cover always annoyed me, so thanks to eBay.

A job for later when it stops raining.

Comment

• It stopped raining...
                      [MG]http://www.mym3.co.uk/light11.jpg[/IMG]
                      The old mount had cracked from being over tightened in the past, and this was the ugly solution.

There was a small chip in the cover too.

Replaced with secondhand unit.

looking better chipless.

And done.
                      Last edited by Jonnysideways; 06-11-2020, 09:32 PM.

Comment

• As you probably know the OE headlights are hideously expensive new from BMW (no idea why as they made loads of Z3s and the quality is not fantastic nor are they complex), but I've often wondered if the chinese Ebay projector headlight front lens' fit the OE lights, for a cheaper albeit wasteful (of the ebay main units) to get brand new looking headlights??

Comment

• Thats good shout, as the Zs lights are a bit like candles.

Comment

• Looking good John, have you had a chance to drive it with all the new suspension parts fitted?

Comment

• HI Yes, its a lot tighter, and I've dialed out some of the tramlining, and the response its better after changing the steering shaft. Its booked in for a wheel alignment tomorrow, so I'll know the true out come of changing all the bits a pieces.

Comment

• Alignment completed. It is still quite flat on the straight, but it turns in well, so happy with the results.

Before

and after...
                                Last edited by Jonnysideways; 06-11-2020, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X