Estoril S50 Journal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Estoril S50 Journal

So time for me to start my own journal to track how this car progresses with me....

This S50 was owned by a number of previous forum members before finding its way into my possession via a Lotus dealer in Henley on Thames.

A few photos of it as it was at the point of purchase...

Chosen for it's colour & spec - Estoril blue paint, blue/black interior & Cruise control were "must have's". HK & Sunroof were "desirable.

This car has all the above & being able to trace it's history via this forum was a very added bonus.

I plan to make full use of this car - so it needs to work not only as a piece of automotive history, but also as a daily driver - cruise, Bluetooth, phone & cup holders etc., all very much required.

Things I have initially resolved to address:
    - Reinstate the chrome
    - Reinstate the estroil "ears" on the steering wheel
    - Get the wheels back to silver (possibly high-gloss chrome powdercoat finish)
    - Address the MOT advisiories
    - Sort the non-functioning Bluetooth on the sony headunit, and look to replace with original BMW radio or something more period
    - Install an armrest
    - Get a boot carpet so my dog doesn't mess it up too much!
    - Install a Brodit phone holder
    - Get a spare wheel
    - Get it through bodyshop to sort beginnings of rust on sill covers & tailgate
    - Get the clutch hose upgrade
    - Get some suspension upgrades sorted
    - Upgrade the headlamps to "facelift" spec & install some stronger bulbs
    - Repair damage to driver's side door card (or replace)
    - Repair wobby passenger side wing mirror glass.
    - Replace a missing headlamp washer nozzle
    - Replace the "slow" clock with a voltmeter
    - Hard wire a dashcam

Am umming & ahhing about whether to replace the gearknob with an original BMW illuminated one, but I quite like the chrome one fitted so that may stay.

A few updates to add in the next posts - will try to keep this up to date.
    Last edited by 137699; 25-02-2020, 11:00 PM.
    ----------------
    David
    1999 M Coupe (S50)
    >>Read my journal here<<
    2005 Smart Roadster-Coupe Brabus
    2022 Range Rover Evoque PHEV

So first jobs - to start reinstating the chrome. Found that the side vents had been crudely painted - no prep had been done so the paint just chipped off:

Some of the clips are broken but they seem to stay put so hopefully will not need to be replaced.

However the front grills needed to be replaced as the black ones were cheap copy grills - so the original design were sourced from ebay and reinstated.

Already starting to look a lot nicer

Managed to sort the non-functioning Bluetooth on the stereo - the AMP-REM wire had not been connected so that was easy to fix - the stereo will still have to go at some point - it sounds pretty decent and seems to make the HK audio sing nicely, but just looks out of place and lights up the wrong colour.

A brand new genuine BMW spare wheel also sorted - and bonus, the jack & wheel brace fits in the little mouldings beneath the boot cover!
    I've ordered a cover for the wheel and it slots in on the boot floor like a glove!

A few other bits on order & I'm hopefully about to book in with Munich legends for some of the oily bits to be addressed, so more to come soon!
    Last edited by 137699; 25-02-2020, 11:02 PM.
    ----------------
    David
    1999 M Coupe (S50)
    >>Read my journal here<<

Comment

Grills / chrome look much better

Comment

Another job ticked off the list - armrest from LeatherZ in the US. Can't say I'm impressed with the quality of the base part, particularly given the cost - feels like pretty thin vacuum moulded plastic and the way it fits with two self tapping screws doesn't make for a "solid German feel" but still, I'm happy enough with it and at least now have somewhere to rest my elbow, better storage, and a bonus cup holder!

In other news - it's booked in with Munich Legends for 16th March to get some of the oily bits sorted.
        ----------------
        David
        1999 M Coupe (S50)
        >>Read my journal here<<

Comment

The spare wheel cover has just arrived - has Velcro on one side to hold it to the carpet. Fits like a glove!

----------------
          David
          1999 M Coupe (S50)
          >>Read my journal here<<

Comment

Phone holder done.

----------------
            David
            1999 M Coupe (S50)
            >>Read my journal here<<

Comment

Couple of older style headunits

https://www.classiccarstereo.co.uk/c...dam-bluetooth/

https://www.classiccarstereo.co.uk/c...sqr-46-dab-bt/

Comment

Thanks I’d already clocked the Blaupunkt unit but the Bosch might be a good option, though I’m half tempted to get an original BMW system and use one of the aftermarket Bluetooth modules.
                ----------------
                David
                1999 M Coupe (S50)
                >>Read my journal here<<

Comment

If it were me I'd be trying to use an OEM head unit adapted for bluetooth, or just a separate bluetooth system.

I think the stock head unit is an integral part of the way the dash looks, the BMW business radio has brilliantly clear and simple lines with simple controls and works surprisingly well.

All in my opinion of course, and this is from someone who has fitted plenty of aftermarket over the years :)

Comment

Originally posted by urquattrogus View Post
                    If it were me I'd be trying to use an OEM head unit adapted for bluetooth, or just a separate bluetooth system.

I think the stock head unit is an integral part of the way the dash looks, the BMW business radio has brilliantly clear and simple lines with simple controls and works surprisingly well.

All in my opinion of course, and this is from someone who has fitted plenty of aftermarket over the years :)

I agree, the original radios are the only ones that look correct

Comment

There's a few Becker options - not sure if they are still available - but second hand might be worth a look. I have a Becker Mexico Pro CD.

Like this one, but I got red illumination which better matches the orange dash lights than the becker yellow.
                      https://www.amazon.co.uk/Becker-Mexi.../dp/B000CEVBI4

Comment

I do like Becker units but options for Bluetooth seem to be quite limited - either they don't support, or if they do, it only supports handsfree mode and not audio streaming.

I'm thinking the BMW CD43 Business CD and a BT module is likely to be the best option.
                        ----------------
                        David
                        1999 M Coupe (S50)
                        >>Read my journal here<<

Comment

If you want to connect a music source there is the low tech cassette adapter option, or you get an adaptor that plugs into where the CD changer input would have gone on the back of the head unit.

Yet another option is a bluetooth FM modulator.

Comment

I found a dension ice link plus module hiding in the depths of the dash, bought a ipod link lead for it, and hey presto iPod 4 action. better than nothing and was 8 quid for the lead lol. Bluetooth for phone Spotify would be the next best thing to keep OEM stereo look.
                            2001 E46 M3 Coupe for me / 2007 E91 335i for the Dogs.

Comment

Anyway... back to the journal - the voltmeter turned up today, so popped out at lunchtime & swapped it for the problematic clock.

Not quite as simple as I hoped as though the connections for the voltmeter are mostly the same as the clock, the offset between the terminals is slightly different - so I had to slice the connector apart - during which I must have shorted the terminals and blew a fuse.

Checking the fuse schematic, the two fuses the clock was supposed to be on were both fine so after trying every electrical circuit I eventually found that the central locking wasn't working - found the 5A fuse blown so swapped that and hey-presto - working voltmeter (& central locking!).

An aside, I bought a boot mat from Germany - also arrived today - has a roll-out flap for the tailgate - ideal for getting the dog in & out - annoying to find that it doesn't fit on the right hand side - did the Europeans not get the stowage area that side for the tyre compressor?

----------------
                              David
                              1999 M Coupe (S50)
                              >>Read my journal here<<

Comment

Working...
                              X