Silver S50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silver S50

It was quite a long time coming, but I’m excited to own a ‘99 S50 Coupe.

I have lusted over these for a long time, and was the underbidder on one a few years ago (instead ending up with a B5 RS4). Unfortunately the very limited supply of these in Australia meant these were just about unattainable- both in terms of supply (less than 30 cars) and price (the example I looked at in 2015 sold for AUD$22k, and again last year for AUD$85k).

So, after being invited to move over to the UK earlier in the year, it was only a matter of time before one was on the horizon (in fact, I was already on the classifieds before our visas had arrived - much to the frustration of my partner). After looking a a number of cars (and very nearly buying a 997 S) this popped up on eBay with patchy photos and a vague description. A few emails and video calls with the seller gave me some comfort, and within a few hours they keys were mine.

So, the car:
    • With 117k miles, 4 owners (one of whom was h4pry) and full history (including the original invoice, and every service receipt for the last 15 years) it’s a bit more confidence inspiring than some of the lower end cars at dealers. The spec is quite spartan: slicktop and basic stereo/audio, but it has been very well setup (brake kit, sway bars, solid bushes, Coil overs (and top mounts) and a decat - so it feels like a go kart.

• It’s not all rosy- it is a 5 meter car (any closer and you can start to spot the orange peel) and there are a few grumbles to fix (fast idle when it’s cold, no a/c and noisy water pump)- but first up, some tyres and time behind the wheel to get my eye back in.

I have been lucky enough to have owned a number of M cars and the Coupe exceeds expectations (and it’s barely been a month).
    Attached Files
    Last edited by DBA086; 10-11-2019, 03:24 PM.
    ‘99 M Coupe | ‘07 M5 Touring

Looks tidy in the pictures

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
      Looks tidy in the pictures

5 meter rule...

Comment

Congratulations! Gotta love it when dreams come good
        Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
        ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
        Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

Had a cracking drive today, but need to get some fresh rubber.

Comment

And maybe a snow foam lance?

I love seeing them dirty and used. Haven't washed mine for 10 years ;)
            Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
            ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
            Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

Unfortunately it’s developed a rather frustrating clunk in the rear end- hoping for a broken spring, but more likely to be a subframe year/crack. Will have the mechanic inspect it in the next few weeks.

The steering wheel has also split at the seam, so that will need to be retrimmed.

Also found a big brother:

Comment

Working...
              X