Imola Matt’s journey to Breadvan heaven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imola Matt’s journey to Breadvan heaven

This journey probably starts in July 1998 with this (well not this actual copy) issue of Autocar. I’d never seen anything cooler and I knew one day.......

M coupe by Matt Parting

But before we fast forward 22 years here’s a brief car history to set my stall out:

First car at 17 was an e30 320i - caught the beemer bug off my dad who brought me up believing nothing felt the same as a car from Munich!

Untitled by Matt Parting, on Flickr

This became an e34 525i sport which is still one of the smoothest 6ixes I’ve ever driven - lovely lovely car.

Soon marriage and babies meant a balance had to be found between family wagon and track fun. The e39 530d is still probably the most competent car I’ve ever owned. Looked cracking on 10j Rondells as well!

To compliment this and satisfy fun time I bought a 318is Touring that was brilliant! Originally a 316 it had all iS running gear and went like the clappers. Lovely balance and a great early track car to learn in.

It was at this point that my Dad and I bought our first car together: a bucket list car that we bought for £4000, did up, enjoyed and really really really should have kept!

Chassis number 008/187 rhd e28 M5s. Wonderful car that we made money on but no idea what it would be worth now!

by Matt Parting, on Flickr

How is this getting us to a clown’s shoe I hear you asking - well, we’re getting there.

36590B70-6BC8-42A2-97F4-FD7B31117392 by Matt Parting, on Flickr

After adding a 635csi to our fleet my love for fast estates needed more power and so comes my most forgotten car. We all have one, a car that at the time was excellent but when trying to remember your car history you just forget it it.

Mine is a e61 535d that was ridiculously fast even before it was remapped and crushingly good at moving a family of 4 anywhere quickly.

7875DAE3-365B-4ECE-93FC-52E6C4000AA1 by Matt Parting, on Flickr

But not quite quickly enough......

Bucket list car number 2.

Probably the only car I’ve wanted as much as a breadvan.

M5 Touring. Absolute monster. I could talk to you for hours on just how good it’s engine was alone. I miss it. A lot.

Sorry/not sorry for all the pics but that car was epic.

Lowered on ultra rare M6 competition wheels
    Haywood & Scott exhaust
    SMG & engine remap to 527bhp

What a car. What an engine. What a noise.

Oh - and 11mpg!
    Last edited by ImolaMatt; 02-03-2020, 12:20 AM.

So that brings us to now.

My daily is a track prepped Clio Rs 200 cup with BBK, Kw V3, Cup racing wheels and an Akrapovic exhaust. Mental fast but surprisingly comfy on the commute

4A6CEF00-2827-4BDB-8502-0842EA0C2196 by Matt Parting, on Flickr

Dads daily is another 635csi, this time with manual conversion and lightened flywheel

506B14A8-AF6D-4865-B410-7E65C8B5417C by Matt Parting, on Flickr

And we also have a 1985 2.5 944 that we bought between us. With only 41k on the clock and in minty condition it’s a bit of a garage queen but we absolutely love it.

by Matt Parting, on Flickr

The M5 Touring was sold and finally prices seemed to have begun to come back down to sensibly levels in the market.

It was finally time to look for a M Coupe.
    Last edited by ImolaMatt; 02-03-2020, 12:26 AM.

Comment

So criteria had been in stone for years really.

It had to be:

Imola red with matching interior
      Sunroof
      Original condition

Having watched the market for around a year I finally made an offer on Tom’s car and Sunday 2nd Feb, bucket list car number 3, after 22 years was mine (ours, in case my dad reads this!)

Despite repeated attempts by different storms to stop me I finally flew up to Leeds/Bradford and brought our very own bread an home.

M coupe by Matt Parting, on Flickr

I’ve waited to have this arse end in my life a long time!

Had it up at a mates garage yesterday and credit to Tom who had it the last 8 years it is in fantastic shape and more than ready to be used and loved

Few plans at the mo:

Thicker h&r arbs have already arrived as have some 12mm spacers and chrome grills.

Kw V2 off a forum member should sort out the stance and then it’s off for a full detail and ceramic finish. Wheels redone in later s54 shadow chrome will finish it off nicely.

Oh, and a bit more noise! Not decided how yet but either replace cats etc with straight through or go the back box route.

So there you have it.

A BMW nuts journey from reading and dreaming to owning and driving a very special, rare and quite frankly awesome car!

Comment

They say size matters - even 12mm!

Comment

Great post Matt!

I have that same Autocar Mag too.

I now wish I could have an Imola to go with my Estoril, maybe they go as a brace etc.

I see you've had loads of BMW's, this is only my second! I think the E34 looks better with every passing day, would love an E34 M5 to go with the coupe.

To have owned a V10 M5 is really something too, those cars are just a one off, esp in touring form!

Let me know what you think of the H&R ARB's, thinking of doing that too.

Comment

Great BMW car history , thanks for taking the time to post

Comment

Yes indeed... great post and a damn sight more of an interesting car journey than mine

I thought Tom did have fairly noisy pipes on that MC. Maybe changed for the sale, or maybe I dreamed that one
              Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
              ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
              Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tony View Post
                Yes indeed... great post and a damn sight more of an interesting car journey than mine

I thought Tom did have fairly noisy pipes on that MC. Maybe changed for the sale, or maybe I dreamed that one

When we met up all those years ago Tom had the carbon airbox and Eisenmann exhaust fitted I think which he later removed.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
                  When we met up all those years ago Tom had the carbon airbox and Eisenmann exhaust fitted I think which he later removed.
                  That typical cycle of:
                  • Buyer looks for standard car
                  • Seller returns car to standard for sale
                  • Buyer decides original isn't quite what they want
                  • Modifies again

Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
                  ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
                  Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tony View Post
                    That typical cycle of:
                    • Buyer looks for standard car
                    • Seller returns car to standard for sale
                    • Buyer decides original isn't quite what they want
                    • Modifies again

Exactly!

But the fun's in the planning!

Comment

Fab car history
                      Love the plate on the M5 touring - V10WGN
                      1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Excellent and intriguing history.

I have just picked up an E61 M5 as a family car- but will be keeping the Z!
                        ‘99 M Coupe | ‘07 M5 Touring

Comment

Originally posted by DBA086 View Post
                          Excellent and intriguing history.

I have just picked up an E61 M5 as a family car- but will be keeping the Z!
                          So jealous! Both would be the absolute dream family combo

I have first dibs on my old one should he ever be stupid enough to sell it!

Comment

Congrats, perhaps I should have splashed out and gone for that one! lol. Enjoy, looks in great shape.
                            2001 E46 M3 Coupe for me / 2007 E91 335i for the Dogs.

Comment

https://flic.kr/p/2iGcukt

https://flic.kr/p/2iGcumR

https://flic.kr/p/2iGfenu

https://flic.kr/p/2iGfemh

So had sills off to check how solid car was - everything looks great under there. Bit of surface rust which needs treatment then underway it all again and job done.

Also new bushes at the back as they’ve dropped.

New handbrake shoes as they’ve disintegrated!

Comment

Working...
                              X