No announcement yet.

My Estoril S50, Chuffed to have an M Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MOT passed with flying colours, got myself pretty anxious waiting to find out, after working on the car since March 2020 I knew there shouldn't be anything to fear but it's funny how you worry! Like waiting for a child to get their exam results of something!

A bit frustrating being out in the car for the first time in ages, wanted to really drive it a bit but it was greasy roads and -1 so I didn't want to go too crazy :)

Now I'm going to fit the new side skirts and do an inspection 2 type service. Handily valve clearances were done only 2000 miles ago with receipts to prove it.

Comment

Got the alignment done today, slightly felt like a mug as I paid £55 for them just to adjust the Toe on the front axle but it was quite a long way out and does feel better.

Rest of the car was almost all within spec, although it makes we wonder whether i should have fitted the adjustable bolts to the back to get it band on!

Comment

I've now driven about 120 miles on the new suspension setup.

The Bilstein B6 Dampeners and Eibach springs coupled with H&R Anti roll bars give me exactly what I was aiming for.

I would describe it as OEM Plus, if you are after something more track focussed then this is probably not the setup, would imagine coilovers are.

The ride is actually pretty fantastic and the whole car feels very together.

Having the boot floor re-inforced, the new diff ear and the all important uprated subframe bushes now means that the back end of the car now feels much more solid under power, it will break traction without it feeling like the back of the car is about to fall apart.

Still a little driveline shunt but this has also been reduced.

All in all it's a hoot to drive but just so usable, want to drive it everywhere at the moment, shame I can't!

The only thing I am also considering is whether to try the standard Z3 steering rack of 2.7 vs 3.2 turns lock to lock to see if that would prove the icing on the cake, although first I would like to see if a smaller steering wheel changes the feel a little.

The Alfa I drive day to day normally has a super quick 2 turns lock to lock so perhaps the steering feels extra slow in the M Coupe.

Of course the risk is I try and make the M Coupe something it's not!

Those who have fitted the quicker Z3 rack, were you pleased with the results?

Comment

Good to hear that the suspension setup has given you what you wanted.
          I did the same albeit went from coilovers to the OEM+ as you call it.
          The ride height is perfect and the comfort levels are much improved.
          Can’t provide any insight on a modified steering rack.

Comment

Gratuitous Exhaust Sound Clip. Best sound at start and about 5 min 10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QktUX9vnxI
            Last edited by urquattrogus; 21-02-2021, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by urquattrogus View Post
              Gratuitous Exhaust Sound Clip. Best sound at start and about 5 min 10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QktUX9vnxI
              How have you found H&S exhausts?
              How much were they?
              I had them on my E60 M5 but were too loud for me.

Comment

https://www.haywardandscott.com/bmw/...ear-boxes.html

Yes they are quiet loud, but then I am a bit of a hooligan.

The sound is awesome, it really screams at high revs.

However, there is some drone at 40mph in a high gear lugging the engine, about 2.5-3k revs which can be annoying, goes if you wind the window down.

No drone at 80mph on the motorway.

I had a Schnitzer exhaust before which was far too quiet for me, sounded OK.

Makes me wonder if I should have gone for Supersprint or Eisenmann but I doubt either would sound as good as this at high revs.

Then Supersprint and Eisenmann seem to do two versions, race and sport, I was worried one would be too quiet and the other too loud and droning!

The goldilocks exhaust is out there somewhere!

I was tempted to get sports cat's made up but had a word with myself as they cost a lot and the standard exhaust seems mid section looks very efficient for an OEM design.

Comment

Originally posted by urquattrogus View Post
                  https://www.haywardandscott.com/bmw/...ear-boxes.html

Yes they are quiet loud, but then I am a bit of a hooligan.

The sound is awesome, it really screams at high revs.

However, there is some drone at 40mph in a high gear lugging the engine, about 2.5-3k revs which can be annoying, goes if you wind the window down.

No drone at 80mph on the motorway.

I had a Schnitzer exhaust before which was far too quiet for me, sounded OK.

Makes me wonder if I should have gone for Supersprint or Eisenmann but I doubt either would sound as good as this at high revs.

Then Supersprint and Eisenmann seem to do two versions, race and sport, I was worried one would be too quiet and the other too loud and droning!

The goldilocks exhaust is out there somewhere!

I was tempted to get sports cat's made up but had a word with myself as they cost a lot and the standard exhaust seems mid section looks very efficient for an OEM design.
                  Indeed. Exhausts are a big problem, especially on newer cars. Most aftermarket drone, no middle ground now.

The M Coupe actually is a very nice sounding car, compared to the new opf based cars..

Comment

I've been checking and preparing the Z3 quicker steering rack, 2.7 turns linear vs 3.2 variable rack.

New Inner and Outer Lemforder Tie Rods, gaiters etc

Also allowed me to check the rack for pitting and scoring, movement etc and it all seems to check out good.

Also painted the barrel/sleeve.

Now ready go on on when I get a chance, can always change back if I don't like it and will keep the old rack with the car.

Love it when you are working "on the bench" on something and not strafing under the car all the time!

[IMG]Untitled by urquattro gus, on Flickr[/IMG]

Comment

• Please post up when you have driven your coupe with the z3 rack as have heard mixed reviews from people who have done this mod (most positive)

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave P View Post
                        Please post up when you have driven your coupe with the z3 rack as have heard mixed reviews from people who have done this mod (most positive)
                        With pleasure

Comment

• Well the rack is out.

A few classic moments involved like when I collected all of the oil nicely into a bucket with minimal spillage, and then a bit later managed to knock the bucket over!!

Also a couple of minutes of realising the fixings that hold the rack in are 15mm underneath and 16mm above, no wonder I was swearing trying to get a spanner on the top ones.

In other news I'm pissed off that the MOT man broke my undertray, he said he'd caught it on the ramp, and that he'd cracked it a small amount but don't worry its fixed. Today was the first time I've had a chance to look at the underside. Bloody understatement! And we use this place for all work MOT's, why do people make things difficult, he could have at least done the MOT FOC or made a contribution to a new undertray!

I'm going to try and replace at least one of the PAS hoses, I think it's part number 32411094452 but somewhat ominous is that real oem says it's "ended". It doesn't leak but it's corroded and the tab that holds it to the rack has come off.

Its the one that goes to the rack Banjo and bolts and then bolts to the front of the rack.

Dave, is there a thread that shows the PAS hose part numbers????

Untitled by urquattro gus, on Flickr

Comment

• That a pisser with the undertray - there isn't a power steering hose thread but the common one that corrodes is the return pipe 32411094452 BMW did make another batch a few years ago but looks like they may be all sold but worth checking with your local dealer.
                            Last edited by Dave P; 28-02-2021, 03:34 PM.

Comment

• Comment

• That scissor lift looks like a handy bit of kit Who is the manufacturer ?

Comment

Working...
                                X