Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z3M Coupe Vauge Steering

Dear all

After having the car for 6 months now, and starting to actually put some miles on it, after visiting a few car events locally, I have started to get used to the feel for the car, and its foibles.

I had the car tracked when I first had it, and its running started springs, shocks, wheels and tyres sizes.

Not sure how old the shocks are, but they are not leaking, and the ride feels firm, the rear springs are quite new.

I have noticed that the car is generally a bit vague when running in a straight line, and feels like there is slack in the wheel when turning left and right. Once turning there is a good feel, and the car responds under corning force, but when you come off the load back to the centre if seems to be disconnected in feel.

When looking/feeling the front wheels, when you rock the steering when from where if starts feel resistance (when not running) the wheels are moving, so I think the steering rack is ok.

Not sure where to start with replacements/troubleshooting, other than starting with another alignment, but don't want to start replacing control arms, and suspension etc when it may be related to something else.

As it is now, I'm to the point I'm not enjoying driving her, as it's not handling as a small M car surely should.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    2001 E46 M3 Coupe for me / 2007 E91 335i for the Dogs.

Take a look at the rear bushes on the wishbones. Could be worn?
    1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Have you done many miles in it? I was struggling to get to grips with the steering feel at first. To the point I was even struggling to get it to track straight on a dual carriageway or motorway. But I’ve put 4000 miles on it now since buying in Feb and now I feel at one with it.
      ----------------
      David
      1999 M Coupe (S50)
      >>Read my journal here<<
      2005 Smart Roadster-Coupe Brabus
      2022 Range Rover Evoque PHEV

Comment

Hi thanks for the replies.

The bushes were checked by the Indy at its last visit, and nothing stood out, other than the tracking wasn't great, which was fixed.

I'll get her on the ramp at weekend and do some pushing and pulling.

Re driving her, I've done 1000 miles or so, but the car has done a lot of mile sand over the years I have no idea how old parts are on it, as in the shocks could be 10 or 20 years old, and too some of the bushes.

I've only ever driven this coupe, and an older 1.9 Z3, so no real frame of reference, but when a 1.4 Vauxhall Admam is tighter driving experience then there is something not quite right.

This is the best place to ask the question me thinks

Comment

As I say when I first got mine I, for the first time in 30+ years of driving, struggled to get the car to go down the road straight without continual inputs to the steering wheel. And on fast cornering I was really uneasy about what the rear end was doing.

I had Munich Legends take a look and asked them to recommend some improvements to the handling but they told me they had, in their opinion, the best setup already - that being stock springs & dampers (all in good condition)and the H&R anti-roll bars.

So with this endorsement in mind I took plenty of "brave pills" and took the car for a proper shakedown in Northumberland - put over 1000 miles on the clock in a weekend - drove to it's limits (and beyond) - really became confident in it. Now I'm really happy with it. OK it's not as tight as a more modern car in terms of handling, but I really feel at one behind the wheel.

And I can drive it in a straight line now without any steering inputs needed - which is a bonus!
          ----------------
          David
          1999 M Coupe (S50)
          >>Read my journal here<<
          2005 Smart Roadster-Coupe Brabus
          2022 Range Rover Evoque PHEV

Comment

Originally posted by jonnysideways View Post
            Dear all

After having the car for 6 months now, and starting to actually put some miles on it, after visiting a few car events locally, I have started to get used to the feel for the car, and its foibles.

I had the car tracked when I first had it, and its running started springs, shocks, wheels and tyres sizes.

Not sure how old the shocks are, but they are not leaking, and the ride feels firm, the rear springs are quite new.

I have noticed that the car is generally a bit vague when running in a straight line, and feels like there is slack in the wheel when turning left and right. Once turning there is a good feel, and the car responds under corning force, but when you come off the load back to the centre if seems to be disconnected in feel.

When looking/feeling the front wheels, when you rock the steering when from where if starts feel resistance (when not running) the wheels are moving, so I think the steering rack is ok.

Not sure where to start with replacements/troubleshooting, other than starting with another alignment, but don't want to start replacing control arms, and suspension etc when it may be related to something else.

As it is now, I'm to the point I'm not enjoying driving her, as it's not handling as a small M car surely should.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I would look at the tyres first and then everything else! - suspension shocks and springs - wishbones - track rods - arb mounts .

The standard suspension even when new was not great and the steering slightly vague but not enough to put you off driving.

Comment

To tighten up the drive I would suggest, as other have, a few checks and mods;

- Check the steering column rubber joint. The shaft is in two parts held together with a rubber bush - they get loose where it's riveted through. I bolted mine solidly together

- Check rear subframe bushes; even new they are quite soft, and filling the "voids" really tightens things up

- H&R anti roll bars really tighten the steering response

Comment

Steering column rubber joint has been updated by BMW and the new one is much beefier I have been told

Comment

Great all good places to start. I will have a look. Like I mentioned earlier Ill get the car on the jack at the weekend and start prodding.

I've been looking at suspension, as fancied dropping the rear, but there are some many options out there, it started to hurt my head.

Standard BMW shocks and Eibach springs seem the most sensible choice, but hate paying money to swap old OEM for New OEM, plus don't want ti too low at the front.

Not sure I can cope with the setup required for coil-overs or the purse.

Especially if I need to buy some bushes etc.

Comment

I've ordered some Pilot sports for the front as a first step and remove the Uniroyal rain sports from the equation.

The Steering bush thing maybe a good issue to address next, as if the rubber is original it will be 21 years old and 160K miles to eh good for usage, not sure I have the mechanical skill to reove it to mod it though, so that may need to wait, as my garage will do this kind of work, but its costs.

Comment

I've ordered some Pilot sports for the front as a first step and remove the Uniroyal rain sports from the equation.

The Steering bush thing maybe a good issue to address next, as if the rubber is original it will be 21 years old and 160K miles to eh good for usage, not sure I have the mechanical skill to reove it to mod it though, so that may need to wait, as my garage will do this kind of work, but its costs.
                      I think the part is not an easy swap as the access is limited - never done it myself but my Indy recently replaced one and said it was tight

Comment

Cheers, Dave, that was my concern and messing about costs time and that costs money lol.

I think ill sort tyres, then alignment, then maybe the bush, the look at refreshing the front lower arm bushes, and maybe then the diff bushes.

ARB will have to wait at £370 or there about for the H and R, and then Ill have to do all the drop links whilst Im at it.

The E46 has swallowed up the car fund for a bit, so have to go at it a bit slower, or one of them will have to go lol.

cheers

John

Comment

https://www.i6automotive.co.uk/bmw-e...301094703.html

I wonder if there is something like this or equivalent for the for the Z3?

Comment

I've took the plunge and ordered a new lower steering shaft, time will tell if I'm brave enough to try and fix it my self.

I can always modify the old one if the new one is not a big improvement, which I hope it will be.

Plus by the time its on there, the car will have had a new ARB, stiffer ARB bushes, new tyres, new drop links and hopefully lower arm bushes too.

Comment

It's a bit fiddly and after years could be a little stuck on the splines. You need to slacken both the top joint at the bulkhead and the clamp on the steering rack end (hard to see but it's on top of the rack. The whole column slides up off the steering rack closer to the bulkhead and then off the bulkhead splines.

Comment

Working...
                              X