My First Z3M Coupe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saturdays fun.

I decided to try and sort the lower arm bushes myself, and thanks to my friend Andy's excellent hydraulic press, and new control arm housings the job was relativity painless.

Old bush was quite soft, and coming away at the outer race.

Cracking press/puller depending on you needs.

Control arm and bush quickly removed, and thankfully they both came off in one piece.

New powerflex polly bush offered up.

And nicely at home all torqued up.

Quite chuffed that I did it myself, after watching may YouTube videos of saws and grinders, I think the puller is defiantly the way to go, just glad I had access to one, or I could see it being a tricky job.

Just the rear ARB, bushes and drop links to do, as happy with OEM trailing arms and subframe bushes for now.
    2001 E46 M3 Coupe for me / 2007 E91 335i for the Dogs.

Comment

• Originally posted by jonnysideways View Post

Old shaft was looking a bit tired, and actually hade a clicking movement in the bush, and signs of wearing around the rivets.

Link to shaft play https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO1ogs8HE4U

New one now at home, and the steering is much better, and much more responsive, very happy with the difference.

Again big shout out to R G Lewis Tattenhall, my local Indy, who allowed me to drop the car on them, short notice, and they quickly sorted it out for me. Cheers Karl !!

Is the new shaft of a better/different design than the old one?

Comment

• The shaft is the same as the old one, but the old one has probably done over 100K. I did toy with the idea of having a fixed one but thought going OEM was the way to do it. There is still some flat in the steering, but that now I think is in the rack, and by design for the off-centre stability, but it's more responsive now for sure.

Comment

The shaft is the same as the old one, but the old one has probably done over 100K. I did toy with the idea of having a fixed one but thought going OEM was the way to do it. There is still some flat in the steering, but that now I think is in the rack, and by design for the off-centre stability, but it's more responsive now for sure.
          Sorry pictures are still not showing for me in chrome for some reason but is probably my pc, they are showing in explorer

Comment

• Still only showing in Edge and IE for me too, much be my hosting provider.

Comment

Still only showing in Edge and IE for me too, much be my hosting provider.

They are showing ok in firefox

Comment

• Very very odd...

Comment

Very very odd...
                  That somebody still has Firefox installed
                  Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
                  ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
                  Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

• Originally posted by Fat Tony View Post
                    That somebody still has Firefox installed

I cant get used to chrome so Firefox appears to work well?

Comment

• You are just not down with the kids lol. (not a bad thing)

Comment

• More parts now on order, rear drop links, rear Powerflex ARB bushes. So the rear can get some attention. Hopefully, the mounts are not as rusty as the fronts.

Comment

You are just not down with the kids lol. (not a bad thing)

Never have been

Comment

• I'd say a good place to be lol.

As Dave already knows, secondhand rear ARB bought (cheers Dave) So that a nights work next week, just hoping I can get the mounts off with no fuss, and the couplings are not as rust as the fronts were.

Comment

• Rear ARB

Powerflex PFR5-504-19 Rear Roll Bar Mounting Bush 19mm inc its grease.

New old rear ARB

Made to match the front with some satin black.

Comment

• Rear arb looks brand new

Comment

Working...
                                X