Leaky Rear Wash-Wipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yep, me as well.

They knew absolutely nothing about the fault until I emailed them with that though.
    PhilT.

2002 S54
    Titanium Silver/Laguna Seca Blue

Comment

Just picked up the above mentioned valve from a local BMW dealer and have fitted it - seems to have cured the fault, great. However....

whilst I had the tailgate trim off I decided to inspect the wiper motor, which had been working on and off...it's at the end of its life due to corrosion.

Exactly the same fault occurred on the Golf I used to have; why on earth some manufactures decide to post the nozzle through the motor is an error the slightest bit of leaking and then subsequently a corroded motor mechanism!

Does anyone know of anywhere that will be able to refurbish the motor or is it better to get a new one altogether?

- I'm not keen to go down the Ebay route for a secondhand item.

Cheers

Comment

Only available via dealers for £184.01 - any other options?

Comment

Mine wiper motor cost £116.60 (inc VAT) from a main dealer in Sep 2008 - seem to have gone up a lot?!
          S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

Originally posted by guido View Post
            Only available via dealers for £184.01 - any other options?
            dont forget you get 10% off for being a BMW Car Club member (they dont check from my experience!) or you could try BMMINIPARTS.COM who supply new bmw parts normally cheaper than dealers.

Comment

must get that valve fitted to mine

Comment

Thanks for that Dave

I decided to disassemble the motor mechanism, mainly out of curiosity to see how bad the problem was.

I found that due to corrosion on the assembly arm, the plastic cog had been put under strain, resulting in worn/missing teeth - bit odd that the plastic used is so soft but I suppose it's better that going than the motor.

Arm:

Cog:

I really don't think it's worth going down the route of fabricating a new one out of something stronger but guess the other parts may come in handy for spares, seeing as the motor itself works fine.

Anyway, it's very possible this will be of no interest/use to anyone but has satisfied my tinkering for today!

Looking at the part code for the unit - it is the same as the E36 rear motor.
                Last edited by guido; 11-02-2016, 03:37 PM. Reason: Updating pics

Comment

Originally posted by ian View Post
                  Mine wiper motor cost £116.60 (inc VAT) from a main dealer in Sep 2008 - seem to have gone up a lot?!
                  Price given using:

http://www.cooper-bmw-parts.co.uk/

Comment

Might be worth getting a cheap used one rather than spending a fortune from a dealer?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-E36-3-Seri...item4aa24234b5

Comment

Exactly my thoughts...even if it is going against what I had previously said!

Comment

They all seam to go the same way. Not sure a secondhand one is likely to be much better.

At least with a new one you get 24 months warranty.
                        S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

Ian - yes the warranty would be a good point but I'm sure that they tend to go after the 24 month period is up.
                          Just managed to get a second hand unit from Ebay for £20, saving quite a bit and have the parts for it inevitably failing again in the future.

Comment

guido - fair enough, and well done.

Ian

Comment

Ebay item received this morning. There are slight aesthetic differences to the one from the Coupe but it fit's perfectly.
                              Used the best parts from each item and now have a fully functioning, non leaking rear wiper, success.

Comment

Originally posted by guido View Post
                                Ebay item received this morning. There are slight aesthetic differences to the one from the Coupe but it fit's perfectly.
                                Used the best parts from each item and now have a fully functioning, non leaking rear wiper, success.
                                result! do you think the e36 item would bolt straight on?

Comment

Working...
                                X