Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Keith's Dakar Z3 M Coupe - Progress Update with Pics.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CLUBBER View Post
    May I ask what benefit does that hose provide to the clutch ?
    supposedly cures the hard clutch pedal! makes it slicker

Click here to email me

Comment

• Originally posted by CLUBBER View Post
      May I ask what benefit does that hose provide to the clutch ?
      on warm days I sometimes couldn't get the car into first gear because the clutch hose would expand too much this stronger hose seems to cure the problem.

Comment

• Yep, Dave's right, it sorts the hot clutch problem so the clutch disegages with the same bite point whether hot or cold.

And yes, normal autosol on a rag: don't use wire wool as it'll scratch the metal surface.

Originally posted by S50Missile View Post
        Also whats the p/n for those trumpet bolts, I cant find the ruddy things.
        Those trumpet bolts are not listed anywhere! I called up Cotswold and had to talk the parts guy through what I meant and he eventually came up trumps (lol). If I still had it down somewhere I'd let you know... But I dont mate.

I think they were about £3.50 each.

Ex-Dakar MC Owner - Gone But Not Forgotten

Comment

• Hi Keith,

great writeup! Very detailed and clean work you did there.

I'm just wondering how the new clutch hose matches your slave-cylinder, the fittings seem to be different?! Which house exactly did you choose? I've been looking on earls hp for that type but I could not find it.

Best regards,
          Phil

Comment

• Glad to see this forum has finally got itself a journal section, it always needed one!

And glad my old write up made the cut!

Now in an E46 M3 which I love to bits, although being a bit newer/modern, it hasn't needed half the attention and work doing the M Coupe did... Which was half the fun.

Hope you're all well over here

Comment

• Rear Wiper Jet

Originally posted by -Keith- View Post

Next up I dealt with the rear wiper spray nozzle, which had not worked since I got the car. After reading all the nightmare stories about sorting this, such as the problem where the hose comes off from the junction just inside the bulkhead, leaving you with a dry rear window and wet footwell... Something which I did not want to find.

I'd kind of prepared myself for a very fiddly job, but it was much easier than I thought. The motor pump was audible (so power/pump was good), there was no visible sign of windscreen wash coming out or dripping anywhere, and the footwell was dry. Upon checking the nozzle itself, it appeared to be mostly dry, but smelt of screenwash a little. After pulling off the hose that feeds it, I blipped the washer and fluid came out freely from the hose. It was just a blocked nozzle all this time. After reading the stories, I'm surprised the backpressure had not caused something to pop off elsewhere before now.

The nozzles were cleaned/loosened with a pin, and then it was submerged in a strong detergent and boiling water, and agitated. A surprising amount of shit came out;

This was then blown clean with an airduster, refitted and tested;

Working for very the first time during my my ownership, nice!

[/img]
              Never knew the rear wiper had a spray nozzle until I saw this post!

Cleaned as per Keith's instructions and viola - it works perfectly ;)

Nice work special K.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Wow, just checking in guys, been a while! Can't believe my old journal is the most viewed, and up at 20k+ hits!

Hope you're all well and still loving these cars - I do have such fond memories of mine.

Plus they must be worth a fortune now!

Comment

• Originally posted by -Keith- View Post
                  Wow, just checking in guys, been a while! Can't believe my old journal is the most viewed, and up at 20k+ hits!
                  Not quite Keith - Dave's journal is up at 125k views!

Originally posted by -Keith- View Post
                  Hope you're all well and still loving these cars - I do have such fond memories of mine.

Plus they must be worth a fortune now!
                  They're certainly going the right way although most on here aren't too interested in selling so it's all a bit academic really. What are you driving these days Keith?
                  1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

• Never forgot this one Keith.

Still not sure why you parted with it :)

What are you driving now these days?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ian_C View Post
                      Not quite Keith - Dave's journal is up at 125k views!
                      How did I miss that! Go Dave!

Originally posted by MParallel View Post
                      Never forgot this one Keith.

Still not sure why you parted with it :)
                      Honestly, it was for the sake of the car. Sounds barmy, but it was a very low mileage example for the age (30k) and was in superb condition. At the time I was using it as a daily driver over winter (I was not in a position do store a second/commuter car at that time), adding miles and collecting stonechips. It pained me to do it to it, and it didn't do my OCD any good. It deserved better!

I sold it for the E36 M3 Evo I had which already had 90k miles on it and was worth less than half the value of the Z. I felt no problems adding miles and stonechips to that.

Originally posted by Ian_C View Post
                      What are you driving these days Keith?
                      Originally posted by MParallel View Post
                      What are you driving now these days?
                      Since the Z3MC I enjoyed an E36 Evo, E46 M3 and an E90 M3:

I now need a big boot that will fit a couple dogs and golf clubs in, so I am now in a very functional, but very nice, 335i Touring in rare spec and colours:

It's no M3, but it's a truly wonderful do-it-all car which I'm enjoying very much. Spent a long time waiting for this one. 335i Tourings are very rare anyway, let alone in the high-spec and colours I wanted. But my patience paid off and I'm happy.

Hope you are all well!

Comment

• Some lovely motors there Keith...as always
                        2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

• Love that E36. How does the 335i compare to the E90 M3? Is yours a N54 or N55?

I still have the MC but also have an LCI E91 335i, so good choice.........mines a manual N54 and well specced so also pretty rare......

Works great as a family wagon.....

Options were:
                          Sunroof
                          Individual audio
                          Visibility pack
                          Heated, electric seats
                          Folding, auto dimming mirrors
                          Integrated blinds in rear doors
                          Sun protection glass

Mods are:
                          Birds B3 suspension inc ARBs and rear M3 subframe bushes
                          M3 front arms
                          Quaife LSD
                          Procede
                          A&R hi flo downpipes
                          M3 Strut brace
                          BMW Performance Exhaust
                          BMW Performance Diffuser
                          BMW Performance Side skirts
                          313's

S50 Black, H&R Arbs/ Springs, B8s, Larini Exhaust

Comment

• Mine is an N54 like you. Comparing to the M3 is not really fair. Both fast cars, but that's only half the story isn't it. The M3 is an M3 (mine was manual too). So involving to drive hard with that high revving S65 and manual box. The 335i is effortlessly quick - the torque is always there to propel you to silly speeds without even thinking about it. Completely different cars and delivery!

Your example is very nice. Dripping in ///M Performance goodies and the M3 arms and Quaife would have it handling superbly. Birds are just down the M4 from me. I could't have a black car again though - such hard work! Looks great though.

Fortunately with mine being an auto, I don't feel the need to mod mine to handle - it's not really that kind of car. I'm more than happy for it to be a fast-cruiser!

Manual would have been first choice, but with my list of other criteria above gearbox.... Must be LCI, sub 60k miles, colours (not black or silver), pro-nav, hifi upgrade, xenons etc etc, I had to jump on this regardless.

My model is:
                            - Sept '09 335i LCI Touring Auto
                            - 57k Miles
                            - 3.0 TT N54 (306 bhp)
                            - Space Grey (A45) with Auburn (LCCZ) leather and Burr Walnut Trim

Spec of note:
                            - Pro CIC Navigation with Live Traffic and HDD Music Storage
                            - Upgraded Hifi Loudspeaker System
                            - Adaptive Xenons
                            - Heated Electric Seats
                            - Sun Protection / Factory Tints
                            - Electric Folding Mirrors
                            - Sliding Armrest
                            - PDC
                            - USB
                            - Bluetooth

I really wanted logic 7 or individual (had L7 in my LCI M3), but these hifi options are rare as hens teeth full stop - let alone on a LCI 335i Touring. However after some time with it, the Loudspeaker system is about on par with Logic 7, minus the digital EQ.

How do you adjust the EQ on your Individual without the CIC Nav menu?! I thought you had to have navigation to have either of the DSP stereo choices? I have never seen DSP hifi without nav, didn't think it was possible to be truthful.

How do you find the BMWP Exhaust? Does it make a nice increase in sounds and gutsiness? I got a quote for one but find the price high (£1400ish iirc) for a backbox alone. Would need to sound bloody amazing to part with that money! I will be adding the diffuser shortly though and already have a few other subtle additions to fit (Pro-Kit suspension and H&R spacers)
                            Last edited by -Keith-; 14-01-2016, 05:05 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spooks View Post
                              Some lovely motors there Keith...as always
                              Sorry Spooks my old mate, missed this! Thank you.

Hows you? How is your MC? Smooth sailing in the years I've been away I trust (hope)? Share a recent pic!

Comment

• Sorry guys....... taking this thread off on a tangent....

Mine is also currently on 57K.

Birds did most the work on the car for the previous owner and it handles really well yet is super compliant, even on the 19" 313s. Best thing I have done with the car was getting a decent alignment carried out and fitting Goodyear F1s all around. I have always rated the F1s, but the ride compared to the Conti 5ps it was running before was light and day. It is now as good as it was on MV3s on Michelins (all non-rft obviously).

I know you are not planning on modding the handling, but I wouldn't rule out a JB4 or similar. I have a Procede and it does make a huge difference to performance....... I am not sure I could resist it myself.......and with being able to switch maps on the move, you don't have to use it!

Without the Nav you adjust the EQ using the display on the head unit, does not look as good but works the same.

The BMWP exhaust is great IMO, sounds a bit antisocial on start up, loud and lots of pops and crackles but when warm is a real Jekyll and Hyde, quiet when cruising and on the motorway, deep tone in normal circumstances but makes the engine sound really special when opened up........ especially considering it is turbo powered. It was fitted when I bought it so cannot compare it to the standard one but I would recommend. This gives you a good idea if you have not seen/ heard it before :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2SjOftwlBM

I might be wrong but I think that the E91 one is a two piece that goes further forward than the E90 or E92 version, so is not just the back box........if true that is probably reflected in the price!

Enjoy it Keith, I have had mine over two years and cannot see myself parting with it....... pretty much like the MC
                                S50 Black, H&R Arbs/ Springs, B8s, Larini Exhaust

Comment

Working...
                                X