No announcement yet.

My First Z3M Coupe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To be fair most M cars have the magic circa 5 seconds to sec time, so they all feel pretty quick, the Z being close to the floor and lighter than the E36 M makes it feel more sporty and nimble, and feels quicker.

So far the quickest example I've owned was the M3 V8 which was too fast for the country lanes to have fun, and closely behind was the Z4M coupe, but that didn't feel safe on the limits, though it was happy around the Anglesey Circuit lol.

For a 21-year-old car, it can still hold its own.
    2001 E46 M3 Coupe for me / 2007 E91 335i for the Dogs.

Comment

• Friday night oil change, and air filter too.

Preparation.

New bits.

Not been in long, but for the cost worth changing.

Looks much better, and was better fit.

The oil had only covered 2K and looked in good shape.

New rubbers and washers.

Undertray cleaned whilst it was off.

As well as some other under tray trim.

And finished off with an MOT pass this morning.

Busy couple fo days for the old girl.

Comment

• Developments...

Well in a turn of fate, I have found my self in the position of another car in the form of a 2001 E46 M3 (it was not free btw), that has a special place in my heart, and sentimental significance to me, having been my best mates car since 2012, and his widows since 2018.

She needs some TLC, and to what end all depends on the M Coupe as its occupying the space and funds needed to make the next project possible, so it may be that after 6 months, and finally completed to the best of my ability, the Z may need to make way... (We've not had the conversation yet...)

Comment

• That’s quite a dilemma.

I have been looking at e46s but I’m not sure I want to give up the coupe just yet. I had a bad experience with an e46 a few years ago on account of the SMG- I feel like the manual is a good itch to scratch.
          ‘99 M Coupe | ‘07 M5 Touring

Comment

• Originally posted by jonnysideways View Post
            Well in a turn of fate, I have found my self in the position of another car in the form of a 2001 E46 M3 (it was not free btw), that has a special place in my heart, and sentimental significance to me, having been my best mates car since 2012, and his widows since 2018.

She needs some TLC, and to what end all depends on the M Coupe as its occupying the space and funds needed to make the next project possible, so it may be that after 6 months, and finally completed to the best of my ability, the Z may need to make way... (We've not had the conversation yet...)
            Shame to sell it so soon but good luck in whatever you decide to do

Comment

• Cheers Dave, hoping to ride it out

Comment

• Originally posted by DBA086 View Post
                That’s quite a dilemma.

I have been looking at e46s but I’m not sure I want to give up the coupe just yet. I had a bad experience with an e46 a few years ago on account of the SMG- I feel like the manual is a good itch to scratch.
                This is now my 6th E46 and only 2nd manuals. One of the 4 SMG'S had a gear position sensor fail, but other than that on SMG 2 I was lucky.

ON SMG 1 not so much, I had issues with both I owned, and one was converted back manual.

Having driven a fair bit around int he Z, it prepared me for life back in an E46 Manul, a gearbox I have never been a fan off, and I still would go SMG even with all the risks, as I like the mechanical feel of how it gets its job done.

Comment

• Does the 5 Speeder in the Z3M feel better than the 6 speeder in the E46?

I've heard the E46 is ok, but now I have removed the CDV in my Coupe I really find the 5 speeder pretty good in combination with the S50's cable throttle, putty in my hands etc.

There are a couple of manual conversion CSL's that whetted my appetite.

Comment

• Looks like a good job well done!

My External temp gauge doesn’t light up anymore - is it a bulb as well?

Comment

• Originally posted by ImolaMatt View Post
                      Looks like a good job well done!

My External temp gauge doesn’t light up anymore - is it a bulb as well?
                      Each of the supplementary gauges has its own bulb that fits from behind - so yes likely just to need a new bulb.
                      ----------------
                      David
                      1999 M Coupe (S50)
                      >>Read my journal here<<
                      2005 Smart Roadster-Coupe Brabus
                      2022 Range Rover Evoque PHEV

Comment

• Thats correct they have their own bulbs, pain in the ass to get too, and if the bulb that's gone is an old one, sometimes popping new ones in or moving the wires causes the other old ones to suffer the same fate, so best to aa few on had, and they use 2 types, as per when I changed them in my posy/

Comment

• Originally posted by urquattrogus View Post
                          Does the 5 Speeder in the Z3M feel better than the 6 speeder in the E46?

I've heard the E46 is ok, but now I have removed the CDV in my Coupe I really find the 5 speeder pretty good in combination with the S50's cable throttle, putty in my hands etc.

There are a couple of manual conversion CSL's that whetted my appetite.
                          They are very similar in feel, 2nd gear has the same notchy feel as you grab it, but the 6 speed is just nicer for motorway cruising and going up and down the gears, in the Z I find I use 4th mostly as once the cars moving it does everything you need, and 5th never seems to tone done the car, as still pulls like a train.

On the CSL side, if you want a CSL its cause it's a CSL, so you kinda have to take it as it is, like converting E30s to right-hand drive, it kinda defeats the point.

I enjoyed both my SMGs and they were great on race and track, and if not cost-prohibitive, I would have another one. Though still not sure they are worth the special car tax uplift lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by 137699 View Post
                            Each of the supplementary gauges has its own bulb that fits from behind - so yes likely just to need a new bulb.
                            Cheers! Hopefully that’s it

Comment

• Decided to get some other bits and bobs tidied up.

THought I see if I could rescue the side grills, hot keen on the cost of the new ones, so I thought I'd pull the old ones to pieces and give them a refresh.

Learnign how things come to pieces, the clips were old and worn, and will need replacing but its off.

Quite a lot of old polish build up, and the finish is a bit dulled.

The chrome has seen better days, but there is still room for improvement.

All polished up

As it was at close quarters I noticed a bit of lacquer overspray.

All polished up awaiting new clips so it can be rebuilt and popped back on the car.
                              Last edited by Jonnysideways; 28-09-2020, 07:13 AM.

Comment

• More parts on order.

Air duct 17212228449
                                Hex head screw ST4,8X30-C-Z2 x3 - 07119900409
                                Air duct, oil cooler 51712492669 on back order
                                Clip 51132495559 x 10 for the side grill
                                Clip 51138399231 x 10 for the side grill

This will complete the side grill overhaul, and sort the air ducting under the car, but means as soon as the parts arrive the bumper will be off again...

Comment

Working...
                                X