MR2 Roadster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MR2 Roadster

Has anyone ever owned or driven an MR2 Roadster?

Toying with the idea of getting one if I park the MC up for the winter. Slightly camp image but I like the shape, mid engined layout and for the relative performance quite cheap to buy and run
    2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Welcome to the hairdressers club

I knew you where in denial
    VIDEO or Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Jonttt View Post
      Welcome to the hairdressers club

I knew you where in denial
      Lol!! I just couldn't keep it to myself any longer
      2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Welcome !

Comment

I almost bought one in the summer... really nice car, underrated if you ask me and awesome value for the money!

Comment

I had a 1st Gen for a bit back in '88 - loved it but flipped it (sold it) a few months after fixing and cleaning it. Drove about like a Fiat X 1/9 from the mid '70s.

What year are you looking at?

Comment

It would be a 2000-2006 shape, probably an earlier one as just want a cheap little thing to blast about in.

Really fancy trying a mid-engined car and this looks a great way to try

Comment

I have the TF last run model. Good value for money and fun mid layout. Toyota Europe did make a strap on turbo for these.

Wanted a Porsche Cayman but could not afford / justify the cost considering other cars that I have access to. So went for the spyder. If you get one now it will hold its value if decide to sell later...

Comment

How do you find it; a fit slow in a straight line but good to throw about?

I guess you were referring to the TF300 keeping it's money?

I would like a facelift version, I prefer the look of the lights, the 6 speed box etc. but from only wanting to spend as little as possible, my wants are pushing that up!

Any tips on what to look out for?

Comment

Originally posted by Spooks View Post
                    How do you find it; a fit slow in a straight line but good to throw about?

I guess you were referring to the TF300 keeping it's money?

I would like a facelift version, I prefer the look of the lights, the 6 speed box etc. but from only wanting to spend as little as possible, my wants are pushing that up!

Any tips on what to look out for?

Check out this site for tips etc:

http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/index.p...7117dd8ef1422a

Feels fast, but when you compare it to the M Coupe then no chance :)
                    Handling is bags of fun. Feels strange to me as I've always had RWD cars for fun. These were actually designed by Lotus engineers.

No, I think all models should keep value as they are pretty rare now.

Well built car with reasonable running costs. Do not need super unleaded...

Comment

Took a '53 plate one out for a drive this morning, a proper little sports car, felt very much like a little go kart

Whilst not being outright fast, merely quick, I think for the price they are a great thing! Not much choice in and around Derby but very tempted to get one!

Comment

Originally posted by Spooks View Post
                        Took a '53 plate one out for a drive this morning, a proper little sports car, felt very much like a little go kart

Whilst not being outright fast, merely quick, I think for the price they are a great thing! Not much choice in and around Derby but very tempted to get one!
                        Yes, glad you like it. Economical, fun mid-engined car. What more could you ask for :)

Comment

Mr2 or not

Can't disagree that the MR2 would be a reasonable option, I even have a Mk1 t bar stashed in the garage, definitely not a winter car. However, my winter wheels should be considered. I bought an audi s3 Quattro. A 52 reg with under 100k miles comes in at a reasonable price and I think has reached the bottom of the depreciation curve.

Let's face it, wind, wet, leaves, ice, mud don't make for a relaxing drive in the coupe. In Scotland you get all of those just in one morning. The s3 is fast, handles all situations and is fun. The leather recaros would be great in the coupe as well.

Comment

I did *some* rust repair on this one a few years ago; IIRC, it all came about because the seat-bolts pulled out, or something like that. Fortunately, there was an emotional attchment to the car, so he didn't mind spending the money on it (like >2X the car's value)...

One of these from a salvage car (apparently, the guy had lots to choose from...)

Some of this...

And 832 pics later, not too bad__even the paint was a tolerable match (I lay no claim to being a "painter")!

More pics here: http://spcarsplus.com/gallery3/index.php/bk_MR-2
                            Randy Forbes
                            Sports Cars Plus, LLC
                            Parrish, Florida, USA
                            http://spcarsplus.com/piwigo/

Comment

Working...
                            X