engine flush s50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine flush s50

Hi, am going to drop the oil on my 1999 s50, just wondering what your thoughts are on doing an engine flush. The car has done 400 in three years and only 10k in the last 13 years and hence, thinking of a flush to clean.

My mechanic suggested it, thought I would run it past you guys, he says its not harmeful flush, you can run the car with it in.

engine flush

i have just been given the same advice to engine flush as i am due for an oil change.the only concearn i have is that i was told the s 50 has a second sump which retains an amount of oil and was worried about any "flush"beng left in engine.

Comment

How many oil changes did it have during these 13k?

I would just change the oil to be honest. Frequent changes keep the engine clean anyway. So if it had at least 4 changes in these 13k I would not worry about sludge and debris.

Comment

The only part of the sump that may retain some oil that I can see is at the front, other than sucking the oil out I cant see how this oil is removed (unless you have a second sump plug - which the MC didn't get)

Comment

ohhh

well I had the flush as the oil in it hadnt been changed for over 3.5 years, but had only done 300 miles. I only drove it home and to the garage as it was so old. The flush seemd to do the trick, before the car went it, it had a lumpy tick over, after a little blast with new oil, bang on.

You have slightly worried me about the oil being retained in the sump, maybe just run it for a while and do another oil change in 1000 miles or so?

looking at the picture of the sump, surley the deep recess is where the sump plug is located? how much oil does it retain roughly, 6 ltrs filled it.

Comment

hi Dave

I have posted a question in technical section as there is a pipe running across the bottom of the car attached to some form of pump, looks naked, I have posted pics but feel you will know, thanks, Dave

Comment

Originally posted by the badger View Post
              well I had the flush as the oil in it hadnt been changed for over 3.5 years, but had only done 300 miles. I only drove it home and to the garage as it was so old. The flush seemd to do the trick, before the car went it, it had a lumpy tick over, after a little blast with new oil, bang on.

You have slightly worried me about the oil being retained in the sump, maybe just run it for a while and do another oil change in 1000 miles or so?

looking at the picture of the sump, surley the deep recess is where the sump plug is located? how much oil does it retain roughly, 6 ltrs filled it.

Sump plug is at opposite end, I think the recess may be where the timing chain sits? but volume wise its around 500ml

Comment

Originally posted by the badger View Post
                I have posted a question in technical section as there is a pipe running across the bottom of the car attached to some form of pump, looks naked, I have posted pics but feel you will know, thanks, Dave

I have replied to that post also

Comment

you are the man

Thanks Dave

Comment

If it had the proper oil in it, modern oils don't tend to sludge like they used to so it should be cleaner than you think. Just do another change in 6months.

Comment

Working...
                    X