No announcement yet.

Why is the S54 only 325bhp in the ZM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here in Norway the headers are different, the catalyst is in the headers. The E46 M3's sold here does not have catalysts in the headers.

The DME is also different. And if someone happen to have a stock Z3M 325bhp DME and want to upgrade to E46 M3 343bhp I am very interested!

Comment

Thanks
      Taken in week one of ownership. I must have spend 80% of that week driving and smiling!
      S50 M Coupe

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Freddy View Post
        Here in Norway the headers are different, the catalyst is in the headers. The E46 M3's sold here does not have catalysts in the headers.
        US E46 M3 and Z3M models also have the cats in the headers causing a 10 BHP loss for both models. This is one reason why Euro style headers are a popular mod over there.

I think the power difference is really down to several factors. Different intake and exhaust systems, lower redline and DME programming. I am also sure BMW were keen to put some distance between Z3M and M3 version for marketing purposes. A bit line Porsche do with the Boxster, Caymen and 911.

There is a project underway in the US to reprogram the DME and get this power back as well as enable the sport mode in the proper way. Thread here

Si.

Comment

Originally posted by sk8flex View Post
          There is no downgraded exhaust.
          Is there not???
          S54 titanium silver all black interior, 2001 51 plate
          good things come to those who wait!

Comment

Originally posted by Freddy View Post
            Here in Norway the headers are different, the catalyst is in the headers.
            Why should there be a special version for Norway? Other emission regulations?

@Paul: The headers for E46 M3 and Z3M S54 share the same part numbers.

Comment

I think it's something to do with cold start up emissions in some countries , could be bollocks but audi do the same , first thing to do with an s4 twin turbo is cut the pre cats out .
              Or at least that's what the interweb said

Comment

Get your S54 remapped. Last one I had done 2(?) years ago took it up to 348bhp and they reckoned that, once the reprograming had settled in, it would rise to about 354. And, yes, they did deactivate the rev limiter/speed limiter but I don't think that would affect the bhp.

Made a big difference to the everyday 'pushing it' performance.
                Strongstrut CL front brace-Yellowstuff pads/Castrol SRF race brake fluid-Rogue top mounts/Rear support bushes-H&R ARBs-Whiteline droplinks-Bilstein Sport shockers-H&R Springs-Black Halo Angel Eye headlight units-Sachs lightweight flywheel/matching clutch-Supersprint exhaust/race catalysers-BBS RSGTs with Falkens-K&N High Flow Air Filter-Recaro Pole Position seats - Exdos mod - ACS flippers

Comment

Originally posted by coupe fan View Post
                  And, yes, they did deactivate the rev limiter/speed limiter but I don't think that would affect the bhp.
                  As I posted earlier, the formula for calculating Horsepower is:

HP = (RPM * Torque in ft/ lbs) / 5252
                  Therefore if the engine can rev to 8,000rpm, without a big drop off in torque, it will give a higher bhp figure.
                  /// Exdos ///
                  "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

Originally posted by coupe fan View Post
                    Get your S54 remapped. Last one I had done 2(?) years ago took it up to 348bhp and they reckoned that, once the reprograming had settled in, it would rise to about 354. And, yes, they did deactivate the rev limiter/speed limiter but I don't think that would affect the bhp.

Made a big difference to the everyday 'pushing it' performance.
                    Can do a good deal on both S54 and S50 remaps

Group buy any one
                    [GROWING OLD IS COMPULSARY ---- GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

Comment

What are the gains on the s50 and what is the cost?

Build thread: https://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19347

Comment

Gains in the region of 20 rwhp
                        Torque gains are well up too
                        Cost £299
                        Deal till end of month of £249
                        Group buy of 10 or more £225
                        That's after the offer has finished
                        Can be any car doesn't need to be an MC

Better gains with intake and exhaust mods

Oh and if paid in £££ no VAT
                        You know who to ring Martin

Comment

Interested.

Sorry if I missed it, but who is doing this and where?

Cheers.

Comment

www.bullittperformance.co.uk
                            Either now for £249
                            Or £225 when enough body's get together

Comment

Exdos is right with regards to his calculation.

The Z3M S54 is pegged back by the rev limiter. The S54 engine makes peak power at the end of the rev range so by lifting this RPM limit you gain the extra power. You can make even more by adjusting the vanos profile and ignition advance.

Comment

Working...
                              X