Clear All

Originally posted by jamesduncan View Post
    Dave P - I have PM'd you

replied.....................

Comment

Pictures as requested,

Comment

Comment

Has there never been a parts dealer sponsoring the site ? You’d think someone would do it, they’d sell loads of parts

Comment

Originally posted by David z coupe View Post
            Has there never been a parts dealer sponsoring the site ? You’d think someone would do it, they’d sell loads of parts

I don't think anyone has been that interested due to the relatively small forum active members compared to other BMW sites, it would be beneficial to both a parts supplier and the forum

so if anyone has a very good relationship with a dealer it may be worth asking them if they are interested?

Comment

Ah... Found this video online https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek_ewKeF6r4 where he shows how to take apart the switch. Mine looked pretty good but had some white ceramic dust coming out and very tarnished contacts. Took it totally apart, cleaned it with WD40 and put it all back together. Quick test and it's working like new again! Saved £150 on a dealer new part!

Now to get it all back together.

One thing I did notice was the lights/sidelights indicating bulb that's in the assembly had a broken bulb holder. Anyone have any idea where to get a replacement and some replacement bulbs? No part numbers on the actual items that I can see.

James

Comment

Thanks to everyone who has pm'd me but my used light switch is no longer available

Comment

Cheers for sharing the link James. I’ll be giving this a try over the weekend, hopefully it just needs a clean up

Comment

Hi David. Yeah, did the trick for me. I didn't need to solder any of the coil, just clean. J

Comment

Did mine this morning as the dimming was a bit uneven and occasionally cut out. In pretty good condition - just needed a good clean with WD40. I will put some pictures up on my journal thread later in case anyone finds them useful.

I realised when I was there that the picture under the switch is supposed to light up when the headlights are on - I've had the car of over 12 years and it has never worked! Does anyone know what type of bulb it is? I can't find it on real OEM...
                      '99 Imola S50 | Simota | Front strut | Braided clutch cable | Bilstein B8 and H&R springs

Comment

Originally posted by Knightrider View Post
                        Did mine this morning as the dimming was a bit uneven and occasionally cut out. In pretty good condition - just needed a good clean with WD40. I will put some pictures up on my journal thread later in case anyone finds them useful.

I realised when I was there that the picture under the switch is supposed to light up when the headlights are on - I've had the car of over 12 years and it has never worked! Does anyone know what type of bulb it is? I can't find it on real OEM...

The headlight switch bulb is only on with the key turned to I or II I think,

its a standard 1.2w 12v capless bulb that BMW use with different holders but the current part number is 63217167000 for the bare bulb I think - I will add details and pictures into bulb thread.

Comment

Thanks. Mine is off even with the ignition on, so must have blown. Will order another.
                          '99 Imola S50 | Simota | Front strut | Braided clutch cable | Bilstein B8 and H&R springs

Comment

Some pics of the disassembly here in case anyone finds them useful.

Comment

Just stripped mine and found a break in the spring. Quick solder and dimming perfectly. There was also a bit of white ceramic dust in there which I hoovered out. Should be good for another 23 years. Great wee fix.

Need to replace the bulb as well, looks like it’s blown as it’s black. I’ll turn the ignition as Dave says just in case.

Comment

My bulb had gone too so just ordered some from Amazon so it's all working and back together now. Not as easy to put back together as to take apart but did it just about. Trick was to plug the bulb back into the vent assembly then to pull the headlight pin out to full beam. You can then just about get the pin back into the hole and align the dimmer to fit its slots.

Bulbs - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comment

Working...
                                X