Z3MCoupe.com Forums

Go Back   Z3MCoupe.com Forums > Z3MCoupé.com Forums > General Discussion
HOME Gallery Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2006, 12:37 PM

any reputable hosting company should have redundancy and this should mean that the data is held in more than one place!

Porsche widebody project

Cayenne Diesel
Old 10-05-2006, 12:48 PM

Speaking to the hosting company and they cant help as everything is 'mirrored' whatever that means. Mike is on the case with them anyhow.

We have our own backup from when the new style board went live which is only a whole year out of date ........ if anyone knows how to merge that with the current db then that would help loads.

Sorry about this guys.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broccers
Speaking to the hosting company and they cant help as everything is 'mirrored' whatever that means. Mike is on the case with them anyhow.

We have our own backup from when the new style board went live which is only a whole year out of date ........ if anyone knows how to merge that with the current db then that would help loads.

Sorry about this guys.
Hi Simon

the fact that it is mirrored should mean that they have an up to date copy.

Give me a call if you want any help or want to move away from this company.

we have our equipment hosted in tele house, docklands and also in Heathrow and there is not a chance this sort of thing could happen barring an 25 megaton nuclear device dropping on both locations at the same time!

(I doubt I would be here to argue the case if that happened!)

Porsche widebody project

Cayenne Diesel
Old 10-05-2006, 04:26 PM

They're just saying that the disks are mirrorred - so if one drive fails in the server, another has an exact copy. If the DB corrupted then the mirroring would copy the corrupted version over to the other disk.

However, any company of good reputation should have an overnight backup policy either to another online storage device or a backup tape held offsite. This should have one or more versions of a working copy of the DB - depending on how quickly it was noticed.

My guess is that they don't backup at all so we are where we are - I wonder how many other independently hosted forums are in the same boat!

My car NOT for sale

Old 10-05-2006, 05:07 PM

Let me know if I can do anything as well, if you need data merges over MYSQL or the like I may be able to help/or source a man that can ... I head up a technical team for a large company. So let me know.
Cheers
kiddle
Old 10-05-2006, 05:31 PM

Thanks guys for all the offers of help !!!

Basically we have a live copy of what you are reading now and thats it as far as our hosts are concerned. We use Streamline who are cheap and it seems cheap for a reason. I have offered to pay to get this resolved and have heard nothing since.

Our only option is to merge the older database with what we have now - if anyone can do that let me know.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:58 PM

Send a message via MSN to imported_ascender Send a message via Yahoo to imported_ascender

At the moment the restore function isn't working. Also, I'm trying to find mails from way back yonder - I've worked in IT support years ago and understand how backups work, so you can imagine my utter dismay when Streamline told me this week that they don't do backups as part of their hosting service. Its a mirrored server and that's it. Unbelievable.

If anyone does have a good, reliable hosting company, now's the time to speak up.

Could move hosts and tie that in with the site re-design that's on the cards.

-Mike