Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KW V3 or Else ?

Hello Guys,

My front suspension is almost worn out. (clicking etc.) and since the replacement is even more expensive than an aftermarket set, I am thinking about ordering a Coilover kit.

I hate the way the car moves like a boat on high speed cruise and I also don't like the body roll. Both lateral and vertical.
    I would like to keep the stiffness as close to stock as possible as this is my primary road car.
    I see the KW V3 is the popular choice here but some speak very highly of it and others can't hate enough :)

What are the pros and cons of this kit and is there an alternative kit out there ?

Thanks,

Can.
    Last edited by CLUBBER; 06-05-2011, 08:18 AM.
    Can,

'87 M3
    '95 M3 GT
    '00 M Coupé
    '04 M3 CSL

I've never read a bad thing about KW V3!

Think the only reason it's not more popular is the cost (it used to be £800 when exchange rates were better and in retrospect would have got it then!).

You can't reduce all the movement and body roll and expect the same stiffness as the standard setup, however you can go a great deal to reduce it but still retain some ride comfort but in a firm but controlled way.

The only cons I can see are the price and that the front coilover requires a spacer for clearance (not always ideal).

A much cheaper option would be a Bilstein Sprintline kit and H&R roll bars. This way you retain the normal spring and damper setup and have stiffer roll bars to boot. This would cost around £800.

Comment

Originally posted by CLUBBER View Post
      Hello Guys,

My front suspension is almost worn out. (clicking etc.) and since the replacement is even more expensive than an aftermarket set, I am thinking about ordering a Coilover kit.

I hate the way the car moves like a boat on high speed cruise and I also don't like the body roll. Both lateral and vertical.
      I would like to keep the stiffness as close to stock as possible as this is my primary road car.
      I see the KW V3 is the popular choice here but some speak very highly of it and others can't hate enough :)

What are the pros and cons of this kit and is there an alternative kit out there ?

Thanks,

Can.

give Evolve a ring as they can offer you several kits including alternatives to the KW.

Comment

+1 for the KWv3

cant fult it

by all acounts the bilstein is better than the KWv2

what about koni used to have a good rep but not sure now

looks cheap enough http://www.dcperformance.co.uk/uprated/koni-suspension-kits-ssk/bmw/z3.html

£542
        [GROWING OLD IS COMPULSARY ---- GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

Comment

I've had KW V3 on my MC for 6 years now and it's great! (KW V2 is a load of crap though!). If you're reasonably technically minded, patient and like tinkering with your car, you'll learn an awful lot about how to set up the suspension and how the subtle adjustments alter the car's dynamics and performance. With KW V3, you can set the car up to be very firm on track, or soft and sedan-like for the roads, and all shades of stiffness between. It takes about 10 minutes to make all the adjustments.

I've also experienced Bilstein with H&R ARBs on a MC as a passenger for a long road trip and also on track, and it performs extremely well for both situations.
          /// Exdos ///
          "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

Im on KW V1 Basics, Nice and cheap, comfortable, large range of hight adjustment and great built quality. I wouldn't bother spending an additional 700 pounds on V3 unless yours planning some track days tbh.

Comment

try http://www.bc-racing.co.uk/c-bci10m/bmw-z3m/ as a cheaper option. I have them on the mustang and also drove an e39 m5 and an e46 m3 with them fitted and was very happy.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies guys, you have really made up my mind. I will order KW V3 kit first thing Monday. Hope they will perform well at the ring in the following M festival.

Do I need spacers to clear stock wheels with KW V3 ? Some say I do, some don't.
                Can,

'87 M3
                '95 M3 GT
                '00 M Coupé
                '04 M3 CSL

Comment

Thanks for all the replies guys, you have really made up my mind. I will order KW V3 kit first thing Monday. Hope they will perform well at the ring in the following M festival.

Do I need spacers to clear stock wheels with KW V3 ? Some say I do, some don't.
                  Yes you do. I ordered some in advance, but checked without before fitting to see if they rubbed and they do. KW suggest a 5mm spacer and for me that would have been just about OK, except that I wanted a hub-centric spacer and you can't get hub-centric in less than 10mm. I went with the H&R 10mm hub-centric spacers, part number 2075725.

FWIW, the only thing I do not like about the KWv3 is that the adjustment clicks are not as positive as I would like and the bottom adjusters could be better positioned. They are right on the bottom of the strut and it would be better IMO to have a nice knob on the side of the tube.

Just remember to replace the mounting bolts and your rear rear shock mounts when you do the job.when you do the swap.

Si.

Comment

Also, drill a small hole (10mm) through the interior trim directly above, and in line with, the rear damper through which you can insert a tool to adjust the rebound adjuster on the damper. If you don't do this, you'll have to remove the rear damper EVERY time you want to adjust rebound.
                    /// Exdos ///
                    "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

Originally posted by siwilson View Post
                      Yes you do. I ordered some in advance, but checked without before fitting to see if they rubbed and they do. KW suggest a 5mm spacer and for me that would have been just about OK, except that I wanted a hub-centric spacer and you can't get hub-centric in less than 10mm. I went with the H&R 10mm hub-centric spacers, part number 2075725.

FWIW, the only thing I do not like about the KWv3 is that the adjustment clicks are not as positive as I would like and the bottom adjusters could be better positioned. They are right on the bottom of the strut and it would be better IMO to have a nice knob on the side of the tube.

Just remember to replace the mounting bolts and your rear rear shock mounts when you do the job.when you do the swap.

Si.
                      Thanks for the great tip, 10mm it is then . Since I'll have a pair on the front, I shoulf get for the rears as well I assume. Or maybe even 10mm ?
                      Originally posted by exdos View Post
                      Also, drill a small hole (10mm) through the interior trim directly above, and in line with, the rear damper through which you can insert a tool to adjust the rebound adjuster on the damper. If you don't do this, you'll have to remove the rear damper EVERY time you want to adjust rebound.
                      That is a great tip. If it doesn't totally mess up the interior trim, I will certainly do that...

Thanks a lot.
                      Can,

'87 M3
                      '95 M3 GT
                      '00 M Coupé
                      '04 M3 CSL

Comment

That is a great tip. If it doesn't totally mess up the interior trim, I will certainly do that...
                        This is what it looks like. You can put a rubber grommet or one of those trim screws in the hole to make it look as though the hole is OEM.

/// Exdos ///

Comment

Originally posted by exdos View Post
                          This is what it looks like. You can put a rubber grommet or one of those trim screws in the hole to make it look as though the hole is OEM.
                          I can live with that. It looks tiny enough. Thanks for the visual aid.
                          Can,

'87 M3
                          '95 M3 GT
                          '00 M Coupé
                          '04 M3 CSL

Comment

Working...
                          X