Rear glass screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Limbs View Post
    I actually cleaned behind mine with a wet cotton bud & it went back to looking black, sadly only for a short period though! I wonder if it would be possible to clean with some solvent & carefully repaint it in-situ???
    Originally posted by dave p View Post
    I tried to repaint with a tiny cotton bud which I angled to miss the body but the results were rubbish
    pair of budding artists right there!

Click here to email me

Comment

I used a Chipex stone chip bud which has a tiny foam head,

Comment

old screen showing milky paint,

Last edited by Dave P; 01-12-2022, 05:30 PM.

Comment

old screen and spoilers removed,

Last edited by Dave P; 30-05-2012, 02:42 PM.

Comment

original roof spoiler and ACS wing,

Last edited by Dave P; 02-06-2012, 05:39 PM.

Comment

new screen fitted,

Last edited by Dave P; 13-06-2012, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Looks much better Dave, that job is now on my list!

Is it best to get the glass and then engage a fitter (RAC windscreens have done my front screen a couple of times) or get a "supply and fit" price - just wondering if you explored these options?

Ian
                S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

Originally posted by ian View Post
                  Looks much better Dave, that job is now on my list!

Is it best to get the glass and then engage a fitter (RAC windscreens have done my front screen a couple of times) or get a "supply and fit" price - just wondering if you explored these options?

Ian
                  I had a quote from BMW which was about £500 so I just bought the glass with my car club discount and had a local windscreen fitter fit it.
                  Last edited by Dave P; 13-06-2012, 03:10 PM.

Comment

D I Y---Job Done £££sss saved

Great Report and photo,s--Well done!! and saved 40 + %.Good help cash saving on screen from your Club membership.
                    safetyfast

Comment

Comment

So how much was the glass from BMW?

I have had a front screen fitted last week, whilst the fitter was there I asked him to look a the back window and he reckoned that repainting it perhaps wasn't the best idea as that is what the bond is set to and if the paint comes off the glass the screen might blow out. Obviously the screen is painted as new where the bond is but I imagine that is etched on pretty well and not your average matt black paint! He reckoned a new screen is the best way to go and he argued that if it's delaminating like this it could be a genuine claim via insurance as it has the potential (in theory) to blow out if the milky bit extends to where it's bonded.

Comment

My rear screen was supplied and replaced today by Autoglass. Cost £60 (excess) only.

For completeness, the rear screen is toughened glass, not laminated as mentioned earlier.

The black shading (that goes milky) is the same as the side windows (my side windows are perfect). It would seem that water/road crud gets between the tint and the glass on the hatch. Perhaps not helped by raising the hatch when wet?

Seems to last around 10 years before going milky - should be ok now for a while.
                          S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

Originally posted by dave p View Post
                            new screen fitted,
                            It looks kinda weird being clean and non-milky

Comment

Nearly 4yrs on, how's your window Dave? Any signs of the milkyness returning?

Comment

I replaced mine about a month ago ,i paid iirc £220 for the screen and £70 for the fitting,previously i did have the lower corners repainted lasted about 3 years however the sides started to go too! looks great now !

Comment

Working...
                                X