Radio swop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radio swop

Have many people swopped their headunits to non BMW radios.
    I want to but everything I look at looks just wrong for the dash, they stick out too far, I want something descrete and looks like it shoud be there.

I've fitted the Parrot Asteroid head-unit to my roadster. It's got hands free Bluetooth, wired and wireless audio streaming and its face lies almost flush with the center console. It may look a bit too hi-tech for some (particularly in a Z3), but I think it's just right. As it runs on an Android OS, there're apps available (google maps, Internet radio, etc) and there're constantly OS updates. Only downside is if you're a fan of CD's. The head-unit doesn't have a CD loader.

Comment

Most becker units sit rather nicely!!!

Comment

i think it looks well with the gauges

S50 Roadster....

Comment

Originally posted by swamper View Post
          i think it looks well with the gauges

I have a Alpine like that in my E30 and one in the Golf TDi, wasn't sure if it'd be ok in the Z, doesnt look bad though

Comment

i like it Plumb...nothing flashes....you can have the screen showing the time and easy to use....kinda sits in there without being to fiddly
            S50 Roadster....

Comment

And what an album
              Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
              ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
              Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

Becker are the most OEM looking but the most expensive ;-)
                VIDEO or Journal

Comment

Aggree with Jontt,that Alpine unit maybe good but definitely dosnt look OEM..Becker unit's are the nearest you can get,i run one with an ipod lead,exellent units.

Comment

i agree.. your right its doesn't look OEM...but like i said nothing flashing away and doesn't look cheap and nasty............sounds good as well
                    S50 Roadster....

Comment

Originally posted by Dextergregor View Post
                      I've fitted the Parrot Asteroid head-unit to my roadster. It's got hands free Bluetooth, wired and wireless audio streaming and its face lies almost flush with the center console. It may look a bit too hi-tech for some (particularly in a Z3), but I think it's just right. As it runs on an Android OS, there're apps available (google maps, Internet radio, etc) and there're constantly OS updates. Only downside is if you're a fan of CD's. The head-unit doesn't have a CD loader.
                      This doesn't look like a bad unit but am I right in thinking the apps, including maps won't work without a 3G connection?

Comment

OEM looks, the best ipod interface I've ever used, bluetooth with mic & Sat Nav

VIDEO or Journal

Comment

Originally posted by guido View Post
                          This doesn't look like a bad unit but am I right in thinking the apps, including maps won't work without a 3G connection?
                          Yes you will need an active 3G connection. It simply piggybacks on the data connection (3G or otherwise) that your phone has either via USB or via Bluetooth. It does have a gps antenna though, so positioning is pretty accurate. Another advantage is that it doesn't have all those garish flashing lights you see on some head units. In order to reduce glare, Its possible to set it to night time mode (reduced brightness). Like I mentioned in a previous post, music can be streamed to the speakers via Bluetooth.

Comment

With that in mind I think the Becker would be my preference.

I don't see the point in having a Sat Nav unit that doesn't work if you're lost in the middle of nowhere, with no 3G connection. IMO that's more than enough reason not to go for it. Sorry.

Comment

Becker is the way to go.

Had mine for 5 years, no problems, looks oem, fair price for all the functionality.

Ian
                              S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

Working...
                              X