X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stock flywheel weight S50

https://goo.gl/photos/bpZqTv2oSMU178fKA

What's the stock flywheel weight?

Just removed mine, was expecting a heavy lump but it is around 6kg's which seems quite light?
    Last edited by M1ke; 20-02-2017, 07:58 PM.

Also lots of oil in the bellhousing :-( it has congealed and probably was the cause of the initial complaint (slipping clutch). Need to investigate source but crankshaft seal appears ok.

Comment

Is it dual mass? the photo looks like it, so will likely be stock. But 6kg does sound very light!

Comment

Probably a daft question but is there an easy way to tell if it's dual mass? The main part of the flywheel is a single piece of aluminium and the friction plate is bolted to this, but I'm not sure if this is rigid.

Just weighed again using bathroom scales (kitchen scales maxed at 4kg so I guessed before) and I'm 5kg heavier holding the flywheel.

Comment

It sounds too light to be a dual mass flywheel like stock. I've found this photo which looks similar, so it may have a single mass flywheel like off an E34 M5?

E34 M5 flywheel (left) vs dual mass e36 m3 flywheel (right)

Dual mass left, single mass right

On a dual mass the friction plate will float slightly and have radial play against the back half with the starter ring teeth.

Comment

Cheers for that. Yep it looks very much like the E34 one. Now not sure if the new clutch kit I bought will fit

Comment

Lots of oil in the bell housing? I would be checking the rear crank seal for a leak
              BMW e21 track car
              Z3M (S62)
              2.8 Z3 Coupe
              Ariel Atom
              GT86 race car
              Ferrari 348 Challenge
              Merc G500

Comment

Originally posted by M1ke View Post
                Cheers for that. Yep it looks very much like the E34 one. Now not sure if the new clutch kit I bought will fit
                What does your old clutch plate look like? Does it have springs in it? If so it's probably an M5 clutch too (since a dual mass setup would use a clutch plate without springs). I think the setup to have is the M5 flywheel and clutch plate but an Z3M coverplate.

Don't be tempted to fit a non-sprung clutch plate to that flywheel, it'll be a bit harsh.

Comment

Old post with weight of standard flywheel,

http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showpo...8&postcount=17

Comment

Thanks guys

This explains my rattle at idle, not just the release bearing that I thought it was. The clutch plate was sprung, I'm tempted to stay with the same set up so just need to source a new sprung clutch plate.....

My block isn't blue so assume I haven't got Wavs' old car

Comment

It's a setup I would consider if I ever replaced my clutch

Comment

Will probably post this on an M3 Forum but worth a try here.

Anyone know the part no. for a new friction plate for a Fidanza flywheel?

I researched and thought it was a 229501 but the new plate is 18 hole and the original is 20 hole........

I have a collection of Clutch assemblies now!!

E34 M5 on the Left - E36 M3 on the right - whatever was originally fitted in the middle. The friction surface on this is thinner and the springs are smaller than the E34 / E36 items. I'm hoping the bigger springs on the E34 disc wil reduce some of the chatter at idle.

https://1drv.ms/i/s!Am7qpWnZ2shelhnWwqpx0O-vnu2o

Last edited by M1ke; 01-03-2017, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Is it not thinner because it's worn? It's not unusual to see different spring setups like that form different manufacturers for the same clutch/car. Ie Sachs VS Luk or Valeo.

I would be tempted to bite the bullet and get a new flywheel if the surface looks like that. If it's been slipping a lot then could have created hard spots ont he face which will cause judder.
                          Last edited by c_w; 01-03-2017, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X