BMW Z3 heating problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BMW Z3 heating problems

hi guys, newbie here, trying to help a friend out who is freezing her off because the heating isnt working in her Z3.

looking at it, it looks like the coolant level has dropped so much that there probably wasnt enough to power the internal heating - it took 1-2litres to refill. I've run the car with the heating on and rechecked the levels and it seems to be full now, but is there anything special you need to do with these cars to bleed the heating system?

many thanks in advance.

was trying to find an online manual, but no joy there :(

probably best getting to the heart of the issue of coolant loss!

Comment

1-2 litres probably won't have affected the heater THAT much. On non-M 6cylinder Z3s the thermostat is prone to breaking (it's sat in a plastic holder that often breaks) so the engine takes forever to warm up and will run slightly cooler in this kind of weather. My 2.8 did this, when I replaced the thermostat (an easy job on the 2.8), warm up was only about a mile or two instead of 5 or 10! and the heater was much hotter.

Comment

Cheers Rags, true, but I've got no idea how long its taken the car to loose that much coolant, as far as I can see the car doesnt have a leak, but I really dont know this is the first time I've really looked under its bonnet

CW, many thanks, I'll have a look see, it there anything I can do to test it or anything other than a cracked case that would indicate its broken? its only a 1.9 btw from what I could see the engine comes up to temperature ok, its just not delivering heat.

Comment

Originally posted by scuba2_diver View Post
          CW, many thanks, I'll have a look see, it there anything I can do to test it or anything other than a cracked case that would indicate its broken? its only a 1.9 btw from what I could see the engine comes up to temperature ok, its just not delivering heat.
          Ah IC, sorry I've not had any experience of those engines. Could be something like the cable the dial is attached is slack??

Comment

My heater stops feeding hot air after about 40 miles, then after about 10 minutes returns to normal. Suspected air lock but dealer checked it though and could't find a problem.

Beyond me. Any ideas?
            S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

I've noticed when the ignition is switch on and the heater is on the warm setting there is something in the engine compartment that buzzes quite loudly but turns off when your turn it back to cold so this maybe something to do with it?

Comment

heater matrix lift pump

Hi this sounds just like a problem i had this week on my z3 m coupe s50. It started with a slight screeching noise from the engine bay near the fuse box about 3 weeks ago,
                I also had cool air coming from the air vent when it should be hot from time to time. before i new it the temp gauge was souring towards the red. I pulled over right away in a fire station of all places. I had lost a lot of coolant close to 4ltrs.
                Turns out there is a lift pump for the heater matrix behind the expansion bottle about the size and shape of a can of readbull. It has a small air vent hole on it and when the bearings/seals fail it proceeds to pump the contents of your coolant system through it. I rang the RAC within 10 mins they turned up, he was on the phone to BMW ID'ed the part and ordered it in for the next day 90 quid inc 3ltrs of antifreeze the guy from RAC did a tempary job on the pump so i could get on my way he then picked the part up from BMW the next day met me at work and fitted it for free, 10 min job but saved getting the shirt dirty. Hopped this helped. I was lucky could have been a new head or worse get it checked

Comment

Working...
                X