What tyres for M coupé?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by c_w View Post
    In the UK, 75% of the tyre tread must be above 1.6mm, so I think until they start showing some canvas they will be fine.
    That's what's so illogical about UK tyre legislation. The part of the tyre that takes all the loading (from cornering or scrub) wears the fastest, so whilst there may be more than 1.6mm of tread over 75% of the tyre width, the tyre can be bald on the critical area of the tyre. Bring on the rain!
    /// Exdos ///
    "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

I think this is because it assumes most cars use a fairly vertical geometry! So they must allow some spazy tracking and wearing of tyres as long as there is some decent tread there. For my purposes the law is fine, I can demonstrate my tyres have lots of tread hehe.

Comment

some spazy tracking
        A long time since I've seen that one...
        /// Exdos ///
        "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

sorry, no offense intended!
          Last edited by c_w; 17-01-2012, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Just for info, Top Gear are selling some Toyo R1R's cheap on ebay but only in 235/40/17 size. Normal price for this size is around £170 each.

The only slight catch is the tyres are a few years old (production date), but are otherwise brand new and will have been stored in a warehouse out of light etc. At this price got to be worth a look!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=200696992786

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyo-Proxe...item48432d42a4
            I've got 4 of these now! Reading reviews seem to claim they can overheat on dry tracks, but to me most deeper tread/soft wear rated road tyres do this, and I think they will make a super-sticky road tyre with pretty good track peroformance with much better rain capability than their R888 counterparts (which are actually very good in the wet IF you can get/retain heat in them and there is no much standing water).

I'm hoping they may fit on the front 7.5J rim without too much bother (my Goodyears are 235/40/17 too, but the R1Rs come up a bit wider still with much squarer shoulders).

Comment

I've got 4 of these now! Reading reviews seem to claim they can overheat on dry tracks, but to me most deeper tread/soft wear rated road tyres do this, and I think they will make a super-sticky road tyre with pretty good track peroformance with much better rain capability than their R888 counterparts (which are actually very good in the wet IF you can get/retain heat in them and there is no much standing water).

I'm hoping they may fit on the front 7.5J rim without too much bother (my Goodyears are 235/40/17 too, but the R1Rs come up a bit wider still with much squarer shoulders).
              Hi

any impressions on these?

My F1s are basically dead and R1Rs look very interesting to me, like a potential perfect city/track combination within the budget.

A friend is using these for some Youngtimer track events and is very happy - also with real-life wet-drizzling-day in he city. He mentioned that the fuel consumption did go up, as these seem to be like really sticky to the road (increased rolling resistance I guess). But did you manage to give these a good try + some views to share? :)
              Last edited by Pawel; 28-08-2012, 06:45 AM.
              Best Regards,

Pawel

Comment

Sorry I had a change of plan and sold the R1Rs on as they weren't in the right sizes that I needed for my new wheels. People say mpg alters with the R888s too (should be worse than R1R) but I never really noticed any big difference in running normal road tyres.

Comment

I really like my FK-452s, though after having ditch finders on the car when I bought it, I now find it much harder to make the tyres squeal!

Comment

Working...
                  X