Modifying exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modifying exhaust

Want to mod some spare Z3M rear silencers to give a bit more bark. Have seem they are quite restrictive standard so looking for ideas of what to do. This is how far Ive gotten so far.
    Attached Files

some details here,

http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showth...t=17013&page=2

Comment

My version shown here : https://v2tre.wordpress.com/2015/06/...lusta-loppuun/

This resulted only in slight change in the tone at idle and low revs. Only after 5000 rpm I can hear a clear difference.

If I would be doing it again, I would most likely go further and, for example, drill more holes into those double exhaust tip pipes inside the rear chamber. That requires a good drill bit as those are double walled pipes and the stainless type material is nasty to drill or cut.

Perhaps now I would also strip some of that wool from the most rear and most front chambers to get a deeper sound.

I was wishing to have a plasma cutter when doing this mod !

br, JuhaV
      Last edited by JuhaV; 09-10-2015, 04:40 PM.
      The older I get, the faster I was ...
      BMW HP2 Sport
      ex- BMW Z3 M Coupe - Cosmosschwartz Metallic

Comment

rip it all out

Comment

I guess I’m the guy Dave P is referring to. When I modded my rear silencers, my initial plan was to cut the outlet pipes as per the attached sketch. However, after learning I could not perform the cut as planned, I drilled the upper section of the outlet pipes. As JuhaV pointed out, it’s a tough job. I remember ruining a few drill bits to get it done even using cooling oil (the exhaust when hot smelt like burning oil for a few days after the mod , but it soon disappeared).
          Unless you rip it all out, it would still be a mild mod to the exhaust sound. To make it real loud I guess would have to delete cat (illegal over here) and resonator.
          In my case it suited me just fine, because I managed to save my dying silencers at almost nil cost and improved the sound without being to obnoxious, as the car already attracts more than enough attention.

Best regards,
          joao
          Attached Files

Comment

Agree rip it all out so it is a totally empty box then weld it back shut.

By the way you will need a big hammer and reciprical saw as they are welded in tight.
            Aceman

Arctic Silver Z3MR

Rocking seats ? You need seat bushes click HERE
            ///M Badge Refurb available HERE

Comment

Any sound clips of totally cut out?

Comment

I gutted mine out and don't regret it one bit. Absolutely love the sound.

I do not have a sound clip but I can put one up on YouTube. I'm sure someone has already done that if you want to check.

Comment

Working...
                X