Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyres - where has my tread gone!

Hi all,
    I have used Falken 452s for ages...now on the 453s...

I like the balance between wet weather use and also their progressive nature....when they part traction it is quite gradually especially with the way my car is set up....

Still I put some new boot on the back in May 2015 and yes they are down to 3-4 mm....in maybe 4k miles...ouch!

I would hope to get 8k and have not been on track etc.

Any ideas for good tyres it looks like these are near the end of their lives although they are fun at the minute

Cheers Rod

Similar pricing to those would be the Hankook V12 EVO which are good, now replaced by the v12 EVO 2. Good price and grip, main downside is the rim protections isn't brilliant.

Comment

I might go for eagle F1s....hopefully they will last a bit longer.....

Comment

My vote goes to Michelin pilot sport 3s. Previously had Dunlop sportmax and continentals. The michlelins are far superior for handling and just plain feel.

Just replaced the dunlops on the roadster and surprisingly the best price I got was from quikfit. I usually ignore them as they quote a high price and when challenged ask what is the best you have got so far and may match it. Anyway, booking online the full set came to approx £460 including fitting at home.

Comment

Originally posted by rod View Post
          I might go for eagle F1s....hopefully they will last a bit longer.....
          Assy 2 F1s get rave review but I was never impressed with them on my audi a3. I had the original Assy 1 F1s on my Coupe years ago and they were excellent and wore exceptionally well, including trackdays with great dry and wet grip. The Assy 2 on the A3 just never felt any good and had poor traction in the wet and wore quite quick.

F1 Assy 3 are now out, so makes sense to try and get those, but not sure if all sizes are available yet.

Comment

Originally posted by langlands View Post
            My vote goes to Michelin pilot sport 3s. Previously had Dunlop sportmax and continentals. The michlelins are far superior for handling and just plain feel.

Just replaced the dunlops on the roadster and surprisingly the best price I got was from quikfit. I usually ignore them as they quote a high price and when challenged ask what is the best you have got so far and may match it. Anyway, booking online the full set came to approx £460 including fitting at home.
            We run PS3's on our E36 evo, and the 325is coupe and they are great both for grip and slow (being a relative adjective)wear. On the S54 coupe we have Continental "Conti Max Contact MC 5" and they are!
            Very quiet and cost efficient too. A superior tyre to the Dunlop Direzza which were on the car prior

Comment

Be aware PS3 are not Michelin's UHP tyre, it went a bit mainstream after the PS2. Michelin have just released the PS4 which goes more performance orientated.

The Pilot Super Sport is one to consider - highly recommended if you can get the right sizes.

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
                Assy 2 F1s get rave review but I was never impressed with them on my audi a3. I had the original Assy 1 F1s on my Coupe years ago and they were excellent and wore exceptionally well, including trackdays with great dry and wet grip. The Assy 2 on the A3 just never felt any good and had poor traction in the wet and wore quite quick.

F1 Assy 3 are now out, so makes sense to try and get those, but not sure if all sizes are available yet.
                +1 I had Assy1 and they were great. Now have Assy 2 and they are not anywhere near as good. Grip is OK, but the feedback is far less precise (especially on turn in) and they don't inspire the same confidence. Just waiting for a bit more wear to get rid. Breaks my heart to change almost new tyres.

Hopefully Assy 3 will be F1s back to their best, although I am not sure I would want to gamble on them again.

Comment

Thanks everyone 0- it seems the Asy2 are out of the question...I will do a bit of digging re the Asy3 or the Mich SPS....

Cheers Rod

Comment

Working...
                  X