'Wider' tyres for 18in wheels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Wider' tyres for 18in wheels?

I am just having my ACS 18inch wheels refurbished (another £500), due to kerbing.

Current tyres are
    front 235/40
    rear 255/35

The tyres do not fully fit the wheels so that the slightest touch on a kerb damages the wheel. What sizes could I change to so that the tyres sit just proud of the wheel line to protect it?
    Strongstrut CL front brace-Yellowstuff pads/Castrol SRF race brake fluid-Rogue top mounts/Rear support bushes-H&R ARBs-Whiteline droplinks-Bilstein Sport shockers-H&R Springs-Black Halo Angel Eye headlight units-Sachs lightweight flywheel/matching clutch-Supersprint exhaust/race catalysers-BBS RSGTs with Falkens-K&N High Flow Air Filter-Recaro Pole Position seats - Exdos mod - ACS flippers

what is the width of the wheel, and have you got any pics as i dont recall seeing your car!!!

Click here to email me

Comment

you could try a 285/30/18 as per this car with ACS type III (Tony's) on the back but not sure if you could go any wider on the front than 235

Comment

Yeah my MC came with: 235/35/18 front and 285/30/18 rear fitted (Pirelli P Zeros). The rears have plenty of rubber beyond the edge of the rim protecting them, the fronts not so much - there's a slight 'lip' on the P Zeros which slightly protudes beyond the front rim, but not much.

I didn't know if these are standard fit for the wheels or not so I enquired with Rossiters. Here's their reply: "The tyre size we recommend for the front is 225/40/18, the tyre size you have on the rear is a recommended fitment or you can also use 265/35/18"

Hope that's of some help
        Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
        ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
        Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

I have 275/30/18 on the rears of my type III race - Falken's and they protect the rim nicely.

But it can depend on rim and tyre make as my type II race have 255/35/18's on the rear and they are fine as well (bridgestones).

I have both 225 and 235's on the front but to be honest I prefer the 225's to drive and they protect the rims fine (again depends on make f tyre I think)
          VIDEO or Journal

Comment

Falken dont do a 285/30/18 only a 285/35/18 also the same in 19"

Comment

mine are 275's but I think you might be right, they may be 35 profile as Falken don't do 30, can't really remember.
              VIDEO or Journal

Comment

Here's a photo of the 255/35 rear. The tyre circumference almost looks too big for the wheel - see the gap between the wheel lip and and the rubber line

Strongstrut CL front brace-Yellowstuff pads/Castrol SRF race brake fluid-Rogue top mounts/Rear support bushes-H&R ARBs-Whiteline droplinks-Bilstein Sport shockers-H&R Springs-Black Halo Angel Eye headlight units-Sachs lightweight flywheel/matching clutch-Supersprint exhaust/race catalysers-BBS RSGTs with Falkens-K&N High Flow Air Filter-Recaro Pole Position seats - Exdos mod - ACS flippers

Comment

I've got Falken 452s in 285/35/18 on my BBS 10" rims and there's about 3mm of rubber beyond the alloy. Not a lot of protection.
                  /// Exdos ///
                  "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

Thanks for all that input. I'll also speak to some tyre dealers. It's worth getting it right because it's costing me a fortune in repairs.

Comment

wheels are awesome!

Click here to email me

Comment

Thats why I fitted 275's to my type III's and they give good protection (Falkens) but strangely the type II's have plenty of protection from 255's (I was going to change them for 275's but did not need to)

Does not look much on the pics but they do give 3-4mm of protection

Perhaps you just need to be a bit more careful when parking
                        VIDEO or Journal

Comment

The damage has really been on the rears, so I think that I will go for
                          front 235/40 as at present
                          rear 275/35

It adds just over half an inch to the diameter of the wheel but there should be enough extra width to protect the lip.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonttt View Post
                            Thats why I fitted 275's to my type III's and they give good protection (Falkens) but strangely the type II's have plenty of protection from 255's (I was going to change them for 275's but did not need to)
                            Probably due to different tires...

I was mounting some tires over the weekend, and compared yoko a048 in 255 vs michelin pilot sport in 275. On same wheel width, the michelins were about 5mm thicker, not a bit more... 255 vs 275... :)

Comment

Yea rim protectors vary wildly between all tyres. Some sit really far away from the tyre and some sit really close but also stick out a lot too as it's an extension of the sidewall.

Comment

Working...
                              X