Headlight advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlight advice

Undecided at the moment, but if I was thinking of changing my OEM halogens to something more powerful/whiter, whats the general consensus on good quality product type and supplier?

Seen these...

http://www.2xcite.co.uk/angel-eye-he...ghts-p-75.html

Understand you need to wire them into the side lights for the angel eye function too right?

Or is it easier just to upgrade my bulbs to something less yellow?
    S50 M Coupe

sigpic

I had HID converters in my headlights when I bought them which gives off a bright white light. I took them out as they don't suit the vintage of the vehicle. You can have them for postage!

Build thread: https://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19347

Comment

Originally posted by mnbrennan View Post
      I had HID converters in my headlights when I bought them which gives off a bright white light. I took them out as they don't suit the vintage of the vehicle. You can have them for postage!
      Thats what I'm worried about too! Maybe I'll try and see what I think. Can always revert back. You're a gent, I'll PM you my details and let me know how much postage and I can PayPal you as a gift.

S50 M Coupe

sigpic

Comment

I had these in my car for a while..and loved them one problem was with a decent pair of 600k's in them they did make the small marker lights look yellow..second problem the quality of the main large front lense was of poor quality and started to de-laminate from the inside..impossible to clean away...went back to OEM upgrade's.

Comment

Interesting Kwoffa. The delamination issue doesnt sound great. Perhaps a rethink.
          S50 M Coupe

sigpic

Comment

I have those or similar in my car and technically they have been ok.
            However, the light pattern and the brightness will not improve over the originals, perhaps goes even downhill a little bit.

Scroll down here a little and there should be a couple of figs showing such headlights on my car : https://plus.google.com/photos/11351...LXkmuWj46W42wE

If you are looking for improvement when driving in the dark, these will not provide such improvement. Cosmetic improvement, yes, if they are according to your taste. I personally like these as they slightly modernise the look of the front but every now and then I hear negative comments from the BMW puritans :) With these lights, it is basically impossible to see if the car is 5 or 15 year old, if you do not know the history of these models. The styling of the MCs is really timeless !

If the price of the OEM headlights would be reasonable, I would perhaps go that route. Anyway, I am living in the land of midnight sun and because the MC is only mainly used during the summer, the light power of the headlights is not an issue for me ;)
            Last edited by JuhaV; 05-04-2014, 05:05 AM.
            The older I get, the faster I was ...
            BMW HP2 Sport
            ex- BMW Z3 M Coupe - Cosmosschwartz Metallic

Comment

Another good point well made
              S50 M Coupe

sigpic

Comment

To be honest with you...keep the original lamps just put osram +80% brighter bulbs in or similar brand...and you will be amazed how good the originals are...ive been thru the Hids...far too bright with so much bleed they blind oncoming drivers! problems as discussed with the plastic projectors,just update your bulbs first,at least try em...and save your money,you will more than likely go back to OEM in the end..

Comment

Cheers kwoffa. Sounds very much like the way forwards
                  Any recommended retailer links?
                  Last edited by inkey$; 10-04-2014, 07:35 PM.
                  S50 M Coupe

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kwoffa View Post
                    To be honest with you...keep the original lamps just put osram +80% brighter bulbs in or similar brand...and you will be amazed how good the originals are...ive been thru the Hids...far too bright with so much bleed they blind oncoming drivers! problems as discussed with the plastic projectors,just update your bulbs first,at least try em...and save your money,you will more than likely go back to OEM in the end..
                    Did you go for standard colouring or a whiter light?
                    2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Just by adding a higher % the lamps simply work properly..no problems with yellow side lamps altho mine are new.often the bulbs in the side lamps fade too..new side lamps came with new OEM bulbs.

Comment

Originally posted by kwoffa View Post
                        Just by adding a higher % the lamps simply work properly..no problems with yellow side lamps altho mine are new.often the bulbs in the side lamps fade too..new side lamps came with new OEM bulbs.
                        Cool. I'm wanting to try new, brighter bulbs, but since to the best of my knowledge the car is still on its original bulbs it's a shame to change them for the sake of it when they're doing so well!!
                        2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

I had the aftermarket ones on mine. With normal bulbs they were really bad, worse than oem for sure. However switched to 6k HID and it was just amazing, such an improvement. Given that they are projectors you can adjust them perfectly and you won't be blinding the ongoing traffic.

Never had any issues with the quality, maybe you hit a bad batch?

Comment

I'm still using my projectors without issues for several years now (I have 50w ballasts atm though so perhaps the projector bowls won't last too long now - will keep an eye on them!).

Comment

The new MOT regs state that HIDs have to have self-levelling and cleaning functions. Only carried an advisory notice until last year but now a fail...

"Headlight requirements are updated to take account of the particular characteristics of High Intensity Discharge (HID) lamps.

HID headlights can cause dazzle if they are dirty or aimed too high, so they are generally (if light output exceeds 2000 lumens) fitted in conjunction with headlamp cleaning and levelling systems. Where HID or LED dipped beam headlamps are fitted the tester will switch on the headlamps and check the operation of any headlamp levelling and cleaning devices fitted.

The car will fail if a headlamp levelling or cleaning device is inoperative or otherwise obviously defective."
                              Last edited by Fat Tony; 13-04-2014, 06:26 AM. Reason: Addition of description from AA site
                              Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
                              ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
                              Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

Working...
                              X