Outside air temperature sensor faulty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outside air temperature sensor faulty

I am struggling to identify the part number and details of the sensor used to feed my outside temperature gauge in the centre console. Any help would be appreciated.
    Camj
    2001 Z3MC S54 Estoril RHD

Here you go

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewt...de+temperature

nb part nothing like pic on RealOEM, same part S50 and S54 and its in the wierdest of places

nb the parts not cheap (ie >£100) so may be worth you getting to it and checking connections ?
    VIDEO or Journal

Comment

Many thanks Jonttt, those photo's will help. I had feared that the ///M sensor would be a bit more expensive.
      Camj

Comment

Lol its only £15 for non ///M one and they seem more robust and are easier to get to
        VIDEO or Journal

Comment

cheers chaps, i also have this problem.

thats one problem solved one to go lol !
          Previous: Silver s50 Mc
          Previous: Yellow s50 Mc
          -------------------------------------------
          Current: Estoril S50 Mc

Comment

I wouldn't mind but its not that accurate when fixed lol (I'm sure becuase of the stupid place the sensor is fitted!)

But being enthusiasts we can't bare something to be broken
            VIDEO or Journal

Comment

Yeah, your right, its the only problem I have on mine, and it bugs me everytime I get in it!
              Camj

Comment

I think black/dark cars are more affected by the positiion fixed to the rear wheel arch; in direct sunlight mine will show silly figures, it's not bad in cloudy days though. Maybe worth changing the position of it?

Comment

Odd positioning for the Outside Temperature Sensor

- Post Update -

The car is currently in at Munich Legends having one or two things done before being eligible for RAC Gold Warranty, recently taken out.

However Munich Legends have found a rather odd positioning of the Outside Temperature Sensor - under the N/S Headlight beside the wheel arch liner. Not in the usual place, n/s rear wheel arch liner.
                  It is also a part that BMW do not have as being listed for the Z3 M Coupe and as a result aren't able to supply a new one.

Has anyone else encountered this problem and the odd positioning?

Comment

Going on the extortionate price of the sensor on the M compared to that of all other Z variants it wouldn't be surprising if someone fitted a different sensor. I believe that the gauge doesn't work with the Non-M type sensor though so you either have a different gauge or an entirely different sensor that is compatible. If that's the case I wouldn't mind knowing what type it is as mine is occassionally tempermental.

Comment

Sure.
                      Munich Legends are currently looking into the matter, as soon as I know anymore I will give an update.

Comment

On an old invoice for my car, this is listed as:

B62.14.2.491.476 139035/TEMP SENSOR

About £100.

Mine works fine, so that must have fixed it.

Does that help?

Comment

Just cross checked that with the one on the RealOEM site, it appears to be the same:

[http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...8&hg=62&fg=05]

Part No. 4.

I spoke with Munich Legends this afternoon and am leaving it with them to look into.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by guido View Post
                            - Post Update -

The car is currently in at Munich Legends having one or two things done before being eligible for RAC Gold Warranty, recently taken out.

However Munich Legends have found a rather odd positioning of the Outside Temperature Sensor - under the N/S Headlight beside the wheel arch liner. Not in the usual place, n/s rear wheel arch liner.
                            It is also a part that BMW do not have as being listed for the Z3 M Coupe and as a result aren't able to supply a new one.

Has anyone else encountered this problem and the odd positioning?
                            You mean they found the little 'finger' that pokes down insode the brake duct? That is a temperature sensor, but not for the outside temperature guage. I think its for the DME, there's one on my S54.

I bet if they remove the wheel arch liner they will find the one you want.

Comment

It was positioned right underneath the headlight.

When I dropped the car off they mentioned that it should be under the rear wheel arch but upon removing it, they couldn't find it so then had to trace the wiring which led to underneath the headlight on the n/s, bit odd!

Comment

Working...
                              X