No announcement yet.

My Estoril S50, Chuffed to have an M Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looks like a big job breaking out there. Love the attention to detail. The ramps and garage certainly help.
    2001 E46 M3 Coupe for me / 2007 E91 335i for the Dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by urquattrogus View Post
      The trolley is also borrowed from work, it's made by sealey, such a useful bit of kit the guys have three in the workshop and use them all the time. It's a 500kg one but other versions available too.

https://www.sealey.co.uk/search?q=platform

2001 S54 Silver with Red/Black interior. Totally standard.

Comment

Thanks, trying to decide whether to powder coat the lot or blast and primer and then apply POR or similar.

Gut says powdercoat but my local place is closed at the moment, and once it chips off and water gets in that's it, whereas normal paint can be touched up and maybe isn't so prone to chipping.

Other decisions are whether to try and re-enforce the diff mounting or not....

The boot floor mods look quite daunting but maybe a small brace or doubling up of the Diff ear is a good idea??

To be honest I'm hoping changing the subframe bushes to poly bushes will help the diff mountings out, less movement etc...

Thoughts anyone??

Personally I would paint rather than powder coat, I put a couple of small braces between the diff hanger and boot floor to stop forward back movement . There isn't much room as the ARB sits close and some trimming of the heatshield is needed,

not a good picture but you can just make out the braces and dodgy weld

Enamelled subframe and trailing arms look good enough for me and can easily be repainted if needed.

Comment

Thanks for the pic Dave

Started on a few more jobs today.

Rotary wire brushed the diff casing down, de greased it, applied POR metal prep, and then a coat of POR 15.

Also used the press to push out my old subframe bushes, soon will start prepping the main subframe beam.

All pretty satisfying I have to say :)

Untitled by urquattro gus, on Flickr

Comment

Some more steady progress.

Took the boot trim out.

I'd heard this was a bit of a pain and and people weren't wrong, so many hidden screws and had to practically disassemble the whole rear of the car inside just to get to the top mounts.

No real bother though as wanted to check the floor and get the battery tray out the way too.

Boot floor looks good

Also removed the old shocks and top mounts. The rear shocks are well and truly shot really, easy to push them in and they don't return back.

Mocked up my new bilstein shocks and Rogue top mounts.

Before I do that thought I've got to get rid of surface rust on the boot floor and a small bit of welding/reinforcement to do to the diff ear.

Amazed how thin the protection is on the underfloor along the diff box section, very thin.

All the welds are intact but there is surface rust and the underseal/paint needs working back and prepping.

Also going to replace the rusty tank straps for fuel and evap tank, does anyone happen to have a good set?

Comment

If you are interested there is a chap on Z3roadster.org who has made sets of replacement fuel tank straps for the Z3. He has really gone to town on getting the shape/design correct and has got them professionally fabricated. Lots of people on the site who purchased these have been full of praise for the work that has gone into these items. They come as a complete set of parts, with sets especially for the MR and MC models (not sure it the M bits are ready yet). Link below

https://zroadster.org/threads/z3-tank-strap-sets.37049/
              Last edited by petecossie; 25-05-2020, 09:51 PM.
              Pete C

2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 805 of 821 RHD built

Previous BMWs

2003 E46 M3 6 speed manual - Carbon Black/Black interior.
              2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 692 of 821 RHD built
              1986 M635
              1985 E28 M5
              1983 E28 528i Alpina

Comment

If you want to check the integrity of the boot floor spot welds from inside the boot, you really need to remove the soundproofing.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatter View Post
                  If you want to check the integrity of the boot floor spot welds from inside the boot, you really need to remove the soundproofing.
                  Yes I had thought that but everything else checks out OK so far, maybe I should :(

I could re apply some Dynmat sound deadening afterwards.

Doesn't look like fun, I've heard about a dry ice trick, god knows where i get dry ice though.
                  Last edited by urquattrogus; 26-05-2020, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by petecossie View Post
                    If you are interested there is a chap on Z3roadster.org who has made sets of replacement fuel tank straps for the Z3. He has really gone to town on getting the shape/design correct and has got them professionally fabricated. Lots of people on the site who purchased these have been full of praise for the work that has gone into these items. They come as a complete set of parts, with sets especially for the MR and MC models (not sure it the M bits are ready yet). Link below

https://zroadster.org/threads/z3-tank-strap-sets.37049/
                    That's brilliant info! Thank You :)

Comment

Yes I had thought that but everything else checks out OK so far, maybe I should :(

I could re apply some Dynmat sound deadening afterwards.

Doesn't look like fun, I've heard about a dry ice trick, god knows where i get dry ice though.
                      When I did mine, I just heated it with a hairdryer and scraped it off - a bit of a pain, but not an absolute nightmare. Replaced with dynamat and it's fine ten years later.

Comment

Good work who did you get the rogue mounts from in the end?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
                          Good work who did you get the rogue mounts from in the end?
                          http://www.catune.co.uk/home.php

I ordered from these guys and I have to say I was mightily impressed.

The owner rang me and left a voicemail to say they were in stock and on their way.

I think they arrived almost next day. Top bloke.

Comment

So a little more progress albeit slowly.

Pushed the bushes from the trailing arm out. All went quite well but one was massively tighter than the others, in true fashion at was the last one after three others came out easily.

Rear Beam now Painted on POR 15 and after lots of rubbing down and used of POR Metal Prep

And I forced myself to heat up and scrape off the floor sound deadening.

Just as well I did. Nothing disasterous found, but looks like I got to it at the right time, you can see that one spot weld has lifted away a tiny bit and two-three other spot welds look suspect.

The dark brown areas around the boot floor are not rust, just seam sealer or remnants of tarr that I need to get the last bits off.

I now plan to do something like the Randy Forbes Strengtehening and I have a brand new diff mount to go on too.

I've shown the coded welder at work all of this and he says he is up for the challenge, he's someone I trust and worked for various people like Mountune over the years so hoping he can do a pukka job.

I also have a lot of Dinitrinol products to prep the areas back up after any welding.

Last edited by urquattrogus; 30-05-2020, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Nice work

Comment

Boot Floor Re-inforcement underway!

Comment

Working...
                                X