Oil Grade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Grade

I read several posts about oils, and I still didn't came to any conclusion.
    The previous owner of my S50 use Castrol TWS 10-60 and he advise me to use only that oil.
    Meanwhile in the technical forum I found a post that has a link to other forum and they say that 10-60 is only for the S54 and that S50 use 0-40!!

I dont have experience with those engines, but I think my engine is a little too noise.
    I don't know if I keep the 10-60 or replace to 0-40.

What do you guys recommend/use?

Re: Oil Grade

Originally posted by hugogt
    The previous owner of my S50 use Castrol TWS 10-60 and he advise me to use only that oil.
    Meanwhile in the technical forum I found a post that has a link to other forum and they say that 10-60 is only for the S54 and that S50 use 0-40!!

I dont have experience with those engines, but I think my engine is a little too noise.
    I don't know if I keep the 10-60 or replace to 0-40.

What do you guys recommend/use?
    in my S50 i use Mobil 1 0-40. but IIRC lots of people here do use 10-60 and some i think use 5-40. The oil debate is a long one, and has been done lots before! have a search and look through some old posts.

Comment

your not the only person
      Gruppe M
      EBC redstuff Pads
      EBC drilled and grooved discs
      Braided brake lines
      Gun-metal alloys
      Strong Strutt
      KW Variant 3

Comment

Originally posted by p 5ary
        your not the only person
        yah. I see. hehe

Originally posted by R80ter
        The oil debate is a long one, and has been done lots before! have a search and look through some old posts.
        I did, but it seems most of the old posts are missing.
        But I will google it to see if I found something :)

Comment

I found this:

http://72.14.221.104/search?q=cache:...t&ct=clnk&cd=2

Comment

The deifinitive answer, if you want the BMW version, for the S50 is:

Castrol SLX LL-04 0W-30
            Castrol Edge Sport 0W - 40
            Longlife 01
            Longlife 04

For the S54 it is Castrol TWS 10W 60.

The non-definitive answer is that many garages use 10W 40 for the S50 engine and many put in the S54 recommendation of 10W 60!

The reason for the differences in oil between the S50 and S54 is somewhat muddy. Personally I have a feeling the BMW changed to 10W 60 as it helps to prevent wear on the VANOS but that's just my oppinion. No one is really sure how the VANOS on the S50 and the S54 differ but they are subtley different for sure.

If I owned a S50 I would be using Castrol Edge Sport 0W - 40, mainly because if you put in anything else from what BMW recommend and you try to make a warranty claim you are on dodgy ground.

Comment

thanks broccers.

I order today the oil filter and the vanos filter for my MC.
              and bought the Castrol RS 0W-40 LL01 (is the same as Edge Sport).
              I found it at a great price (37€ (+/- 26£) 4 litres).
              Saturday, I will change everything plus the Chain Tensioner and I'll check the diference.

One thing I didn't tell is that actually my oil goes up to 110º - 120º and this in 5º gear at +/- 110 m/h.

After read one post here about oil temperatures I start to get worried. :?

Comment

Post was from 'spunkym' - trying to keep this in one thread for the FAQ section. 8)

Comment

At the first change oil i put the castrol rs
                  The car require 20 minutes to goes in optimal temperature,90 Grades,make more smoke
                  Second change,after 3000Km i put the castro tws
                  The car arrive shortly in temperature,dont make smoke and goes better!
                  Only! TWS,the best way to spend money :wink:
                  www.fastdrive.org
                  S50 black/black-red In Rome
                  Front BBK Stoptech Red+Eibach Sway Bars+Kw Clubsport Whit Camber plates+Weichers Strutbar+Agk Urethane front Silent Block & differential Bushing+Tuner Motorposrt Alluminium Rear Mount+Hamann Exaust

Comment

First impressions with the 0W-40.
                    The engine seems smoother. And I can bet that it becomes slightly quicker.
                    The car takes a little more time to warm up the oil to proper temperature is a fact, but also decrease the max working temperature.
                    Before the oil work between 110-120 range, now it work between the 95-110, wich I think is much better.
                    It didn't smoke at all. Fastdrive perhaps your engine is a little more wear than mine... :?
                    About the chain tensioner no luck :cry:
                    Still the irritating noise between 3.500 and 4.500 rpm but just when losing revs.. Not in aceleration.
                    Its a loud rattle. I guess is vanos :(
                    I think this also because when warm and near idle it does too a ticking noise. It is the same noise that several videos posted here do.

Comment

First impressions with the 0W-40.
                      Still the irritating noise between 3.500 and 4.500 rpm but just when losing revs.. Not in aceleration.
                      I think this also because when warm and near idle it does too a ticking noise. It is the same noise that several videos posted here do.
                      Hi guys. Been a member for some time now. First post however. Gained great knowledge from reading what you guys have to say! Thanks
                      Have an S50 2000 V Black / orange MC. Smile everytime I start her up.
                      Lately has been similar rattle to the one Hugogt mentions. Loud rattle on deceleration usually from around 4000 rpm. My car does have noisy vanos on tickover. Otherwise performance is OK (maybe not quite as honed as the day I got her). Some judder around 70-90 on motorway ?might be due to a warped front right brake disc.
                      Anybody had experience of this rattle - is it another sign the vanos might be faulty?
                      Boooked in for an indy oil service next week so going to get him to have a look :roll:

Comment

Not trying to hijack the thread, but I have the same noise. On the track it seems to go away so I guess it might have something to do with oil temperature or even pressure. I'm using 10w60 and I have quite loud vanos rattle when engine little warm.
                        S50 - '99 Estoril/Estoril-Black
                        Mods - KW 3 Coilovers, H&R ARBs, Raid steering wheel, Wiechers Sport half-rollcage & strut brace, Simota CAI, Powerflex front and beam bushes, Beyern Mesh 18".

Comment

Not sure what oil is in mine at present. Will certainly be making enquiries as to what my indy would use at next service. Guessing that to keep costs down, unless you specify otherwise, he would use a standard oil across all models?? :?

Comment

In my oppinion, if VANOS is your concern then I would use Castrol 10W 60 on both the S50 and the S54. TWS and RS are the same oil so either will do.
                            Black 02 reg S54 M Roadster

Comment

Working...
                            X