Broken ARB Mount?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken ARB Mount?

Back in March/April I hit a large pothole at about 30mph with the front left and really felt it. I haven't used the car much since, but this weekend went up to Darlington for a wedding. Car was generally OK, but everytime we went over a pothole there was a loud knocking from the passenger side that made my wife wince...

Got the car up today and took a look. Rear suspension looks fine, but the front stabiliser mounts are ropey - the drivers side looks like the bush has split, and the passenger side has given way completely:

Drivers side:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/FPuuc6T4TpqQRbq58

Passenger side:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/4FUudtTHpjjAVJw56

Looking at realOEM (https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=31_0266) this is called the "stabiliser bar" - is this the same thing as the aftermarket H&R ARBs? If so, is it worth getting them replaced with H&R? Should I do the rear as well? About a year ago I had the suspension refreshed with bilstein B8, H&R springs, new front top mounts and drop links.

Thanks!
    '99 Imola S50 | Simota | Front strut | Braided clutch cable | Bilstein B8 and H&R springs

Yes the stabiliser bar is the ARB and well worth changing to H&R but do the front and back at the same time. The H&R ARB's come with new uprated rubber bushings but you will need to replace #20 on realoem which is the

bracket/holder which has failed on your car

Comment

Thanks. I will look to do the whole lot at the same time.
      '99 Imola S50 | Simota | Front strut | Braided clutch cable | Bilstein B8 and H&R springs

Comment

Looks like a bit of corrosion there. Have a good look at where the rear ARB mounts to the body and the tabs on the trailing arms. The H&R bars put more stress on the mounts and the rear ones have been known to break away. Especially if set on anything other than the softest setting (which IMO is the correct setting). Any corrosion there and it would be worth beefing then up when you do this.

Comment

As above, the rear are more prone to breaking away from the body. When I was fitting mine I seam-welded the brackets as they are just spot welded from the factory.

Comment

Thanks all. I have asked James from JTH whether he would do it form me, so will see if he can reinforce the rear mounts at the same time to make sure nothing gives way.

Comment

I added a small piece of metal to strengthen the rear arb mount (the triangular piece pointing down)

Comment

Thanks Dave. Looks a little cleaner under there than mine!

I think I will aim to get the whole lot cleaned, reinforced and waxoiled. The pics will be very handy!

Comment

Got the car back last night. New H&R front and rear ARBs and mounts, mounts reinforced in much the same way as Dave P's.

Much better to drive now the suspension is firmly attached to the car

Comment

Working...
                  X