Tyre rating advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyre rating advice

I'm just about to order some new rear tyres and wondered if you could help explain the difference between these 2 tyres?

http://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres-285-30-18/?m=2

Both N4 (Porsche approved fitment), and what have been on the MC's ACS Type IIIs since I bought it). One is rated 93Y while the other carries no load/speed rating (those currently fitted have no load/speed rating.

The lack of load/speed puzzles me, but then I know sod all about such things
    Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
    ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
    Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Are they black and round....?!

The "Y" is to indicate they are approved at speeds up to something in excess of 150mph, not sure exactly and the "93" is akin to how heavy the car is I believe, probably too high for the MC really but will give a bit firmer ride / less roll.

Could all be total tosh but how I think it works
    2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Are they black and round....?!

Was there aswell

Comment

I ordered some Michelin Super Sports from them. Very good value for money and superb tyre once worn in. Not sure they come in 17s though, if that's what you need.

I have Goodyear Aysemmtrics 2s on the standard wheels and they tick all the required boxes.

My BSL. Breadvan Sport Lightweight.

S54 - 18" BBS RS GT/KW V3/H&R/Rogue TM/AC Schnitzer Flippers/Brembo Calipers/CSL Discs/PFC Pads/20mm Spacers/Carbon Fibre Roof/Fibreglass Bonnet/Fibreglass Boot/Lexan Window/Custom Cages Roll Cage/Lithium Battery/Recaro Pole Positions/Schroth Harness/Randy Forbes Braced Floor/Airbags Delete/Lightweight Door Cards/UUC EVO3 Short Shift Kit/E34 M5 Clutch/UUC Single Mass Flywheel/Vibra Technics Competition Engine Mounts/3.46 Diff/Prospeed Exhaust/200 Cell Cats/Strong Strut Brace/ESS+ASA Supercharger Kit/Alpha N/497bhp - 1315KG

Comment

Spooks has given part of the answer, there is some good information with regards to tyres here which should explain it all :-

http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html

Could be that some of the details have no been entered correctly on the sellers website.
          Pete C

2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 805 of 821 RHD built

Previous BMWs

2003 E46 M3 6 speed manual - Carbon Black/Black interior.
          2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 692 of 821 RHD built
          1986 M635
          1985 E28 M5
          1983 E28 528i Alpina

Comment

Can anyone confirm the load rating on OEM spec tyres ?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
              Can anyone confirm the load rating on OEM spec tyres ?
              looks like load 90/91 speed Z

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
                looks like load 90/91 speed Z
                Is that from the manual Dave?
                2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Originally posted by Spooks View Post
                  Is that from the manual Dave?
                  Doesn't list the load rating on summer tyres in my manual for some reason but does on the winter tyres - 91

Comment

Well I'd pretty much decided on those without the 93Y rating, but since it's now been pointed out that they should be black and round I'm unsure.

Thanks for your help yah tw*ts
                    Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
                    ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
                    Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

Working...
                    X