Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyre recommendation

Hi all,

Its come to the time when I need to replace all 4 tyres on the MC. I am currently running 235/40/18 front and 265/35/18 rear. As in the past ive defaulted to the EVO et al tyre tests, which have stated the Conti Sport Contact 6 is the best, however these are only available in 19” and above.

In 2nd place were the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 and I can get these at decent prices, ~£120 front and £140 rears, each. Ive had previous Eagle F1s and cant recall them being a bad tyre.

Has anyone used these or can offer another suggestion?

Cheers
    Ian
    2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Michelin PS4 are very good, I preferred them to the Super Sports.

GY have been a long term default choice for many years, meeting a good price point and confidence inspiring in all weather conditions.

I am currently using PS Cup 2s which are fantastic.
    Last edited by KnightsG; 16-03-2017, 12:02 PM.

My BSL. Breadvan Sport Lightweight.

S54 - 18" BBS RS GT/KW V3/H&R/Rogue TM/AC Schnitzer Flippers/Brembo Calipers/CSL Discs/PFC Pads/20mm Spacers/Carbon Fibre Roof/Fibreglass Bonnet/Fibreglass Boot/Lexan Window/Custom Cages Roll Cage/Lithium Battery/Recaro Pole Positions/Schroth Harness/Randy Forbes Braced Floor/Airbags Delete/Lightweight Door Cards/UUC EVO3 Short Shift Kit/E34 M5 Clutch/UUC Single Mass Flywheel/Vibra Technics Competition Engine Mounts/3.46 Diff/Prospeed Exhaust/200 Cell Cats/Strong Strut Brace/ESS+ASA Supercharger Kit/Alpha N/497bhp - 1315KG

Comment

Hi Ian,

My car was supplied new with Michelin Pilot Sports and I have always replaced with same (although the last ones were PSPT 3). I have had no handling issues with these, just one puncture in over 200K miles and the wear rate is acceptable to good. Cost to replace the shredded rear (245/40R17) last year was £140.

I am sure you will get lots of opinions on this, likely from some who have been more adventurous.
      S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

PS3's for me.

Had these for years(and PS2's before that) and I can't see any worthwhile reason to look elsewhere tbh.
        S54 Seca Blue - ACS Short shift and Exhaust. Luverly.

Comment

Lots of Michelin fans! They had an interesting final summation on the Evo Tyre Test:

"In contrast to the Pirelli, the Super Sport was masterful in dry conditions, but out of its depth in the wet. It was one of the slowest around the wet handling course and the least refined on the road route, too, but was far and away the most enjoyable to drive on the dry handling track. If dry-weather performance is what matters most to you, this is your winner."

http://www.evo.co.uk/features/18309/...-test/page/0/6
          2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Wonder how many miles they covered. Have used mine in all conditions, hot, cold, wet, ice, snow and everything in-between without issues.
            S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

I am currently using PS4 and yes they are good although I think I slightly preferred falkens 452 / 453s as the limits were lower (in terms of grip / slip) and thus the car was more fun at lower speeds.....

the falkens were pretty cost effective too although I would get through a set of backs in 7k ish...

Comment

Yes, my MR (S50) rears lasted about 7k, my MC (S54) doubles this (circa 15K). Guess its the traction control of the S54, or me getting older!

Comment

My tyres are measured in years rather than miles - 7mm still remaining on 8 year old Falken 452's

Comment

I liked the Falkens,but been running Contis with no probs...

Comment

Originally posted by ian View Post
                      Wonder how many miles they covered. Have used mine in all conditions, hot, cold, wet, ice, snow and everything in-between without issues.
                      They are talking about the pilot super sports which is different to the pilot sport series. It's kind of a road biased semi slick, hence the relatively poor wet performance.

Ps4 is supposed to be very good, a much more focused tyre than the ps3, and appears to have made the PSS a bit redundant.
                      Last edited by c_w; 16-03-2017, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
                        They are talking about the pilot super sports which is different to the pilot sport series. It's kind of a road biased semi slick, hence the relatively poor wet performance.

Ps4 is supposed to be very good, a much more focused tyre than the ps3, and appears to have made the PSS a bit redundant.
                        After a bit more digging I think I got confused between Super Sports and Pilot Sport 4. After reading up about the latter, I've booked in for 4 new ones on Saturday morning

And the cheapest of all places......Kwik Fit !!

Comment

Originally posted by Spooks View Post
                          After a bit more digging I think I got confused between Super Sports and Pilot Sport 4. After reading up about the latter, I've booked in for 4 new ones on Saturday morning

And the cheapest of all places......Kwik Fit !!
                          Good call, better than £140 for rears?

Comment

I did have PS3's all round but needed to change the rears a couple of weeks ago (the rears always wear first right?! ) so gave Camskill a call to discuss the differences between PS3's and PS4's. They, as c_w also mentioned said that the PS4's are a step up from the PS3's, and that the PS3's will eventually be phased out. Camskill have always been straight talking and easy to deal with. I now have 2 PS4's on the rear, £238.78 incl delivery, then £20 all in to change over and balance them.

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m54b0s18p..._Noise%3A_71dB

Comment

Yes, its evolution. PS2s replaced the original, PS3s the 2s, now the 4s will replace the 3s. Good to hear favourable comments on the 4s.

Comment

Working...
                              X