My Cosmos Black LHD S50 Journal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Cosmos Black LHD S50 Journal

First a short intro of my car. It's a 1999 BMW Z3 M Coupe with a Euro S50 engine. Manufacture date is 1998, which means it turns 15 this year. I've had it for 13 of those 15 years and have taken care of it to the best of my ability, but with advanced age more and more problems surface. I used to replace everything with OEM parts, but after spending a lot of time on this forum, I've discovered that sometimes it is best to go for different parts which will last longer.

My last DIY project involved replacing the worn rubber bushings under the seats with the Whalen plastic bushings, and that was a breeze. Lately, I have identified these issues:

1. Brake lines worn out - ordered steel braided lines
    2. Clutch line worn out - ordered steel braided line
    3. Cylinder head gasket needs replacing - parts ordered
    4. Fuel pump leaking - ordered
    5. Bilstein shocks are shot, leaking - in the process of deciding whether I should stick to Bilstein and order a new set (which are inexpensive) or take the leap and go with new coilovers for a proper setup and aggressive stance.
    6. Ordered a new accelerator cable

Recently replaced the AC Schnitzer pedals with these beautiful pedals from BMWpedals.com (thanks to Clubber for the tip)

And also replaced the engine mounts with the vibra-technic mounts. I feel more vibration at idle, but the gear shifts are smoother and the car feels more "held-together".

Also ordered a set of gas struts for the trunk from SGS Engineering, and a vanos seal kit from Mr Vanos.

This stuff arrived today but the fuel pump was out of stock. Once the fuel pump and gaskets arrive, I should be able to take it in to get everything replaced.
    '99 Z3 ///M Coupe
    '09 997 GT2

Looks very nice.

Can you tell me what the orange car in the top left corner of first picture is please?
    S54 Seca Blue - ACS Short shift and Exhaust. Luverly.

Comment

You may be able to get the Bilsteins refurbed as another option.

Comment

Originally posted by Seca Blue View Post
        Looks very nice.

Can you tell me what the orange car in the top left corner of first picture is please?

This is the best I can do :)
        '99 Z3 ///M Coupe
        '09 997 GT2

Comment

Is it a Plymouth? sorry very off topic

Last edited by Dave P; 04-03-2013, 06:03 PM.

Comment

I´m not too familiar with US muscle cars but I also suspect a Plymouth Roadrunner. 1968 or 1969 maybe?

Comment

lol, its off topic but I'll ask and get back to you guys.. while we're OT, here is my other car.

and a picture of me riding shotgun in a Mclaren F1

Now back to the topic at hand
              '99 Z3 ///M Coupe
              '09 997 GT2

Comment

many thanks for posting your pics!!!

Click here to email me

Comment

Its 1970 Plymouth GTX 440
                  '99 Z3 ///M Coupe
                  '09 997 GT2

Comment

you win!
                    congrats for the white beast
                    www.fastdrive.org
                    S50 black/black-red In Rome
                    Front BBK Stoptech Red+Eibach Sway Bars+Kw Clubsport Whit Camber plates+Weichers Strutbar+Agk Urethane front Silent Block & differential Bushing+Tuner Motorposrt Alluminium Rear Mount+Hamann Exaust

Comment

Love the GT2 but the McLaren even more!
                      2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Great job. Looking forward to updates !
                        Can,

'87 M3
                        '95 M3 GT
                        '00 M Coupé
                        '04 M3 CSL

Comment

Received my fuel pump today (which is made in the USA for some reason). Just waiting on the head gasket and it'll go into the shop.

'99 Z3 ///M Coupe
                          '09 997 GT2

Comment

Lots of the Z3 parts are made in the USA, think the heater control unit and other bits like tat say made in USA on them.

Is that an S50 pump? As all the original pumps I've seen are brown and made by VDO, of course there could be an updated/alternative part available. I'ts unique to the S50 3.2 engine as it's 5bar, the S54 pump is different again.

Comment

Hi, if you are changing the pump because the fuel meter stopped working then a word of caution (by my own experience).

In my previous Z3 2.8 the sensor "circuit or wiring" board in the pump was cracked and I changed the pump to get the fuel meter working again. Then, in a few weeks time the same happened again ! The sensor was broken again in exatcly the same manner, circuit board carrying the resistance slider was cracked in two halves.

The original reason why this happened was that the fuel tank breather was blocked and when the pump sucked fuel from the tank without any air getting into the tank this made the plastic tank to bend inwards and the rear wall of the tank pushed the float lever in the pump which then cracked the sensor board. After driving a 100 kms when opening the tank a clear sound of air suctioned into the tank could be heard. For shorter journeys this was not so clearly evident.

Fixing the breather and then again a new pump solved the problem.

The plastic tank really does change shape a lot in case of under pressure.

Your reason to change the pump might be completely due to different issue but I just thought that I will share this experience because I still remember being somewhat pissed after paying for two new pumps and by going through the trouble of changing the pump twice.

br, JuhaV
                              The older I get, the faster I was ...
                              BMW HP2 Sport
                              ex- BMW Z3 M Coupe - Cosmosschwartz Metallic

Comment

Working...
                              X