Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 speed conversion

Dear All

Next on the list of mods could potentially be an e46 6 speed conversion and shorter diff ratio.

I'm talking to a BMW tuner who have a quote from quarry motors of £700 for an s54 box from an e46 m3. I'm told the propshaft will need to be custom made for £180 or an alternatve prop from the e36 range could be a possibility.

As regards the diff, to rebuild my diff with a 3.91 ratio, I've been quoted £450 for the rebuild which will include new seals, bearings, and clutches and an upgrade to 40% lock.

Fitting wise, I've been quoted 10 hours at £30 per hour in case there is any fabrication needed of linkages etc. £300.

Flywheel and clutch wise, I've been recommended a lightweight S54 flywheel which weighs 5.5kgs over the standard 15kgs, an uprated clutch with sprung hub plate and 30% uprated cover and bearing.
    Been quoted £305 for the flywheel, clutch £230 for the cover, £195 for the plate and £70 for the bearing, all plus vat. Also need new flywheel bolts which are £30 and new clutch bolts are supplied.

I wasn't banking on over £2k for the conversion!

Any thoughts on the above prices and possible alternatives would be welcomed from all.

Cheers

Dan

if you want the best shortcut, contact ragerover on this forum.

he has plenty experience and can have this sorted for you

Click here to email me

Comment

Cheers Indy

Rr - you have pm

Comment

A common clutch change is to use the E34 M5 setup, think the early ones had a single mass flywheel and the sprung clutch plate (that's probably what you'll be using) but not sure how much the flywheel weighs.

Comment

E46 M3 gearbox swap details,

http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15622

Comment

Originally posted by M400DPC View Post
            Dear All

Next on the list of mods could potentially be an e46 6 speed conversion and shorter diff ratio.

I'm talking to a BMW tuner who have a quote from quarry motors of £700a bit steep but would depend on milage and guarantee for an s54 box from an e46 m3. I'm told the propshaft will need to be custom made for £180 or an alternatve prop from the e36 range could be a possibility.get your own prop shortened its cheaper

As regards the diff, to rebuild my diff with a 3.91 ratio, I've been quoted £450 sounds fairfor the rebuild which will include new seals, bearings, and clutches and an upgrade to 40% lock.

Fitting wise, I've been quoted 10 hours at £30 per hour in case there is any fabrication needed of linkages etc. £300.you will need the linkage shortened and re welded

Flywheel and clutch wise, I've been recommended a lightweight S54 flywheel which weighs 5.5kgs over the standard 15kgs, an uprated clutch with sprung hub plate and 30% uprated cover and bearing.
            Been quoted £305 for the flywheelsounds too cheap mine was about £900 but a great mod well worth it, clutch £230 for the cover, £195 for the plate and £70 for the bearing, all plus vat. Also need new flywheel bolts which are £30 and new clutch bolts are supplied.you may need to change the donut too

I wasn't banking on over £2k for the conversion!you will need to figure for gearbox oil and a master cylender,fluid and you may as well do the Goodrich clutch hose too

Any thoughts on the above prices and possible alternatives would be welcomed from all.its not too bad a job and easier the 2nd time round

Cheers

Dan
            God luck a well worth mod
            [GROWING OLD IS COMPULSARY ---- GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

Comment

So just to clarify the E46 M3 gearbox can be used and just bolts on?

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
                So just to clarify the E46 M3 gearbox can be used and just bolts on?
                have a read of this

http://www.eatsleeptinker.com/2013/0...-e368-m-coupe/

Comment

After further thought, I might delay gratification on this particular mod until next year and just get the diff done for starters. Does £450 to rebuild my diff to a 3.91 ratio with 40% like a decent enough deal? If so I might go ahead with what appears to be a fully reconditioned diff....what is lock anyway? And what does 40% offer as opposed to 60% etc...?
                  Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
                    Cheers by way Dave, really intriguing read

Comment

Originally posted by M400DPC View Post
                      After further thought, I might delay gratification on this particular mod until next year and just get the diff done for starters. Does £450 to rebuild my diff to a 3.91 ratio with 40% like a decent enough deal? If so I might go ahead with what appears to be a fully reconditioned diff....what is lock anyway? And what does 40% offer as opposed to 60% etc...?
                      Cheers
                      It's a figure people talk of When I was looking in to this there isn't a clear answer, but it's generally speaking it's how tight the diff is, 100% would be locked for example. The difficult in saying a specific lock is because it's actually variable depending on stuff like the ramp angles, stiffness of the spring washers, number of clutches, tightness of preload etc

I "uprated" my diff last year using a 3 clutch and "dog-ring" pack. In our diffs there is a 4mm thick metal spacer which can be removed and an extra clutch and dog ring fitted in it's place. It feels a bit tighter now, but my diff was an old e30 one so was worn anyway.

£450 sounds about right, they do seem to charge a lot to rebuild these, the tools and expertise to do it properly is beyond most DIY and garages - I would only be happy paying to have it done if they warranted the work though as it won't be until a certain thousand miles later you will be able to tell if it was all put back together with the right clearnces.

Comment

Working...
                      X