Gear stick movement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear stick movement?

When the cars in gear there is approx 15mm play / movement on the gearstick forward and rearward and left to right. Is this normal or is there a worn bush somewhere that might be causing it? Any body else got the same?

I know when I come out of fifth it doesn't drop back into the middle on its own. Apparantly that is quite common but also annoying.

Not noticed the 'play' when in gear though.

Comment

No play on mine suspect youre probably on the right lines with the bushes.what sort of mileage has the car covered.

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
        I know when I come out of fifth it doesn't drop back into the middle on its own. Apparantly that is quite common but also annoying.

Chopper,
        I had this and BMW renewed the gearbox under warranty

I don't, or never have, had any play in the gear lever though
        Last edited by dalecan; 04-07-2007, 05:22 AM. Reason: Because I like to
        From Z3 MC to Z4 MC... glad to be back

Comment

The only problem I have noticed is that when you are giving it the beans, usually on the motorway and you want to go from 4th to 5th, sometimes it can be very stiff.

I'm not sure if this is common, but it also happened in my E36 M3. Definately no play in my knob though!

Current - BMW M6
          Previous - Estoril S50 '98

KW V3's, ACS Splitters, H&R ARB's, Rogue Engineering rear top mounts,
          Carbon Induction kit, Supersprint Exhaust, BBS 19" CH alloys, Strong Strut

Comment

its only got 70K and full BMW history, it must be a bush in the gear stick lingages somewhere, i'll have a look one weekend. It definately feels like play in the linkage somewhere as you can feel it with just light force applied.
            Thanks for the replies, its not a major isssue, whats more important is no Sun and crap weather! so i cant get the roof down !!
            Last edited by simoore; 04-07-2007, 02:25 PM.

Comment

http://www.rogueengineering.com/Merc...pic1_large.gif

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...t_Bushings.htm
              S50 - '99 Estoril/Estoril-Black
              Mods - KW 3 Coilovers, H&R ARBs, Raid steering wheel, Wiechers Sport half-rollcage & strut brace, Simota CAI, Powerflex front and beam bushes, Beyern Mesh 18".

Comment

excellent link thankyou MrMicko! looks like its the foam tension bushes that have worn as my symptoms are exactly as described on the link.

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post

I too had the problem with fifth. Allegedly a spring (makes sense), but BMW decided it was easier to replace the entire gearbox under warranty than fix it!! :-O

Comment

Working...
                  X